Would a "live-action" Transformers TV series really work? And how?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Rodimal Rodimus, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

Live-Action Transformers Show Reportedly In The Works, Set After Bumblebee
    Now keep in mind, this is basically rumour and hear-talk for now, I'm not sure if there has been a legit confirmation at this time. But I just wish to express my thoughts here, and maybe hear out yours as well.

Anyway, one has to ask, 'what defines live-action?'
    The answer to which is actually more simple than it may seems:
    'Filming real-life people with a real camera', at least that's how I see it.
    Maybe utilise some CGI and/or practical effects.

However, as far as I know, most TV shows tend to have lower budgets than most theatrical feature films. So unless they manage to get one as much as Bumblebee alone had or, worse case scenario, have people dress in robot suits a la Super Sentai/Power Rangers, I remain sceptical of how it would really work exactly.

Unless they plan to continue shoving the titular shapeshifting alien robots to the background and give more screentime to humans we don't know or even care about. But we all know how that worked out in films alone, but or rather so how would a whole TV show achieve that is beyond me.

But those are my thoughts. What about yours?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

Here is my take - IF the aforementioned is true, or even if some folks in a boardroom in Paramount are tossing around this idea, they would REALLY need to make sure it distances itself from ANYTHING bayverse and they need to be careful-and to be brutally honest, while I love the Bumblebee film (and still have some things I don't like about it), this continued G1-focus may end up biting Hasbromount in the butt down the road . .

At the same time, what Hasbromount is left with, is they have to play catchup to build a forthcoming stable of good TF films/media. I would love to see other characters and parts of the TF mythos explored-but only if it is done right. Bumblebee was a really good start, though. . .And I could be wrong about my reservations with the forthcoming Netflix series, but we shall see how that pans out. . .

• Like Like x 2
  3. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    If they were ever going to do a live action Transformers show (and this is a very big if) they would have a very limited cast of actual robot characters. I can't see a studio dropping $100 million or more into a project like this but depending on how many episodes/duration of each episode it would be necessary. The first season of The Mandalorian, which had eight 40 minute episodes, had a budget of $15 million per episode. Star Wars is a much bigger brand than Transformers (which is still big, just nowhere near the size of Star Wars or Marvel). Bumblebee had a budget of about $130 million and was just under two hours in length. The show would be very limited in the amount of robot characters that they could use.

With regards to story, I could see them focusing on Bumblebee and possibly one other Transformer. Instead of big CGI battles like in the films, I could see things closer to the opening "Sector 7 chasing Bumblebee" sequence from Bumblebee. They could build up to a big robot v robot battle for the season finale. It's difficult for Transformers to be a live action show due to all of the CGI that would be involved but I think it could be done if they were smart about how they did it.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    Limitation breeds creativity, or something along that line. Suitmation isn't something we as a franchise has tried before, but as a Toku fan (mainly Kamen Rider) I'm optimistic it can work. Transformers being done in the style of these designs isn't such a far fetched idea to me.
    Contract_Monsters-Magnugiga.png AutoVajinBattleMode.png unnamed (1).png unnamed.png
    Oh, and that silver suit? It turns into this:
    3972725_31b6316b-ea1e-4e71-ade0-fd1bff11e523_332_332.jpg
    Suitmation doesn't have to be seen as a low budget alternative to CGI. They're two totally different artforms that can and should be approached differently.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  5. Rodimal Rodimus

Maybe, but what would that have to do with the medium of live-action

Good points. That's a concern I share.

Maybe so, but one has to remember that the Transformers aren't just mere mechs, they're sentient intelligent beings.
    There's also the matter of expressional faces.

• Like Like x 2
  6. protohuman

protohuman Primus was a pander

Wait... I thought it was a live action Beast Wars film? Couldn't wait to see Dywane Johnstones face superimposed on Rhinox's head.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Fine topic for conversation, but just to be clear for anyone coming in there is zero reason to believe that link is true. That is 100% a clickbait website and nothing more.

• Like Like x 9
  8. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    I was thinking of making faceplates like G1 Optimus and Soundwave a series-wide design element for this reason. Make them vibrate when they talk to simulate actual mouths.

9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    I mean, I guess anything can work, but it depends. While part of me would genuinely like to see a show that utilizes costumes like Tokusatsu we all know it's probably going to be CGI.

So they'd need to have a high enough budget, or else the Bots and Cons will just hang out in their vehicle modes for the most part.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Rodimal Rodimus

As hilarious as that would be. Luckily, the closest we have is this:

Yes, like I said, this is essentially rumour for now.

Maybe, but if there's anything I've learnt, is that some people are gonna be unhappy with even the slightest of details.

Exactly.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I'm going to lean towards, "No."

What's one of the biggest complaints about the live action movies by the fandom? Not enough focus on the robots. When you have an entire live action Television show, and you try to make robots with convincing CGI, you're going to burn through a lot of cash. A live action TF show would almost certainly be more focused on the humans than the films, and I say that as someone who thinks some of the movies actually balance the humans and robots fairly well.

What I would totally be down for is a Seymour Simmons "Ancient Aliens" show where he explores the globe looking for evidence of extraterrestrials. That would have been a better avenue for the whole Witwiccan angle than The Last Knight I think.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  12. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I think it really depends on how it's done. I don't think a CGI-heavy Transformers movie in the style of Bumblebee or the Bay films would be possible. Or a live-action version of the cartoons. I don't think we'll ever see that, at least unless they make some major innovation that makes CGI much quicker and cheaper.

It would probably be possible to do a live-action Transformers show if they would think outside the box and get clever. Heavily utilize puppets and practical props (like Frenzy and Sqweeks). Focus on smaller Transformers. Maybe throw in a Pretender who can spend a lot of time in human form (along with human companions). Use larger Transformers sparingly and develop them in vehicle mode as much as possible. Focus on small-scale adventure stories over action. It would take some clever writing, but it could be done.

Do I expect that to happen anytime soon? Absolutely not. The brand is too G1-focused and nostalgia-oriented at the moment to do anything that out-of-the-box. Especially after TLK failed. If it doesn't heavily involve Optimus and Bumblebee and Megatron, I don't think Hasbro is going to okay it. But it would be cool to get something like that somewhere down the road.

• Like Like x 3
  13. AustinLucas

AustinLucas Banned

Although it was already in talks. I send Paramount the idea

14. Rodimal Rodimus

You sent the idea? Do you have proof of this?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Agent Maryland

Agent Maryland Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly. There is no way there will be any mainline characters around for an extensive amount of time. It would be a money pit. Even if it would be a show based around Pretenders, for instance, I doubt it would instantly attract as many viewers as a series with the usual cast. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

• Like Like x 3
  16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Every so often we get a HE TELL ME "insider", it's best to disregard until some actual facts surface.

• Like Like x 4
  17. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well , it has to be a moderate budget to work well.

• Like Like x 2
  18. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Ain't that the truth. I learned this lesson from my uncle who works at Hasbro when he gave me the MP lineup for 2024. Said no one would believe me if I shared it.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Eh. The only way I can see a live-action TF series even being attempted in a way that at least has a chance of working is as a Power Rangers-type tokusatsu focused on Pretenders - meaning the cast would basically be playing the robots' shells (and voicing the inner robots) - with CGI for the transformation/mass-shifting scenes and suitmation for the actual fights. At least then the robot characters would be on screen even when you don't have the "robot" robots.

Granted, there's the issue of creating appropriately-scaled miniature sets for each episode, but hell, just do what the later Showa Godzilla films used to do well before "Rescue Bots" ever did: have the main location of the series be on an island. Actually, go a step further and during the city fight scenes, just replace any buildings, etc. to be smashed with digital ones.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Amazon Prime did Amazing with The Boys so if they were the ones to pick this up....maybe,but ik not going to get my hope's up since wegotthiscovered is the ones behind this story.