Worst Bayverse designs

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Arrogant Arachnid, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Apparently none of you have seen the official art of The Fallen.

I'm not surprised.

Plus, I garuntee if they pulled that kind of shit in the films with something that was unmistakably being treated as a Decepticon of some sort - I mean, Transfrormium doesn't play by any rules, all Transformers are supposedly made of it, and it's exclusively made from organic material for some stupid and unexplained reason - you would all have done a 180 and be defending that design for obviously being a Transformer, just because it was in the film.

2. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    You spelled “I made a poor comparison” wrong.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Fallen really was just a glorified Bionicle.
    [​IMG]
    Really should have been closer to the original design (which no other design of the fallen has topped imo).
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  4. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

using hypotheticals like this aint a good way to argue
    i guess it kinda looks like that whole morphing thing manmade bots do? but even thats pushing it
    either way it sure as hell doesnt look like a protoform from aoe or tlk cause 1. p sure aoe didnt even have protoforms and 2. tlk had those knight looking assholes, they sure as hell didnt look like transformers but just generic robot knight dudes, not a mimic or whatever its called

glorified? dont you dare insult my bionicles like that

OH COME ON DID THE MERGE JUST DELETE ALL MY LIKES

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    How, exactly? How was it a 'poor' comparison? Just because you've all seen Edge of Tomorrow or have enough knowledge of it (or even just reverse google image searched it and got the answer that way before replying) doesn't mean I'm wrong.

After all, it isn't really defined here what a 'good' transformer design is when you remove the context of transforming itself. After all, a still image does not transform into a vehicle, so it falls to the visual design of the robot to inform the viewer what the robot does. This is where a lot of the later movie designs fail, because they care more about the robots looking like humans because of the idiotic 'aliens through history' nonsense being doubled down instead of things that actually did a basic level of informative visual design.

Originally, I was going to say that looked like a possible protoform version of Devcon, and in the end that still holds true because why couldn't it, beyond the weird double-leg? It certainly has the same general anatomy if you take away the giant forward cannon on Devcon. Is it an exact match? Of course it isn't, the whole point is that it's not supposed to be a match and yet in a general sense, it is nonetheless.

The funny thing is that the OG Fallen design was actually a rejected Megatron concept for War Within.

Another funny thing is that back when the first ROTF toys were leaking - namely Preview Deluxe Soundwave - we all thought they were fakes made from modified bionicle parts, when the reality was the leaks were legit and those were, in fact, the first ROTF toys. Ironic given how ROTF's toyline was actually one of the most solid offerings in the past two decades.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

just cause it has the same weird ass proportions doesnt make it the same, sure as hell doesnt look like a protoform
    protoforms never had a liquid metal look and at the very least had heads that didnt look that shit and you could kinda figure out. at best you could say thats a silhoutte of a protoform devcon. even then, though, meh

btw i dunno shit about edge of tomorrow and didnt know it was from that movie

• Like Like x 1
  7. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Yeah, I agree it's a stretch, but at least the general body plan is vaguely similar.

I don't hate to say it, but there is no universal, right-or-wrong " good" or "bad" Transformers designs. In the end, it all comes down to personal preferences.

Your preferences for Transformers having visible alt mode kibble is just that: a preference. There have been Transformers with and without alt mode kibble in the comics and cartoons and movies for the duration of the brand's history. Transformers are defined by transformation, that is changing from robot to alternate mode by some mechanism which may vary depending the alternate mode and programming of the Transformer. However, the Transformers without alt mode kibble are just as much Transformers as robots with alt mode kibble.

Furthermore, every piece of fiction is someone's G1. Some Beast Wars fans may not like the Beast Machines designs, but to others, BM may have been their G1, and perhaps they love the BM designs as a result. Many existing fans vocally hated the Bayverse designs, but to tens millions of people around the globe, Bayverse is their Transformers introduction, and perhaps they like the designs of The Fallen or Starscream or Megatron. There were probably people who thought (and I was one of them), that the Fallen looked so ancient and cool! As the movies went on, perhaps you had younger people for whom AoE or TLK were their G1s, and when they saw the Freightliner Argosy break up into cubes and transform into Galvatron, and he grabs Prime's swords and brings them further into his own chest, perhaps they thought, "That is so awesome! Galvatron looks so cool!"

You like alt mode kibble? That's fine. To me, I just care about seeing a variety of cool designs, some alien, some human-like, some colorful, some with alt mode kibble, and some without.

So if someone finds a design awesome, however ridiculous individual fans or whole groups may detest them, I think it's awesome that someone has found something they enjoy.

• Like Like x 5
  8. zark225

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    While I can see how someone could make a comparison to a Bionicle, I love The Fallen's design. It really looked like an ancient Transformer and someone that could be an ancestor to these newer characters. I don't know, I just bought it as this ancient one that the current characters are descendants of. I do love the War Within design too!

It's poor because it doesn't look like any Transformer, including a Bayverse character, which also makes you wrong. If your thesis so to speak is "this looks like a Transformer from the Michael Bay movies" and it doesn't (which, again, it definitely does not) then you are incorrect. You are reaching hard to prove your point and can't admit that you're wrong. There's nothing wrong with being wrong sometimes man lol. Also, I haven't seen Edge of Tomorrow (despite owning the movie due to it being a Christmas gift) so I honestly had no idea what I was looking at, but "Transformer" or "Bayformer" did not pop up in my mind. Only reading the following comments after looking at the picture did I realize that it's a Mimic from that film.

I wouldn't argue that many of the AOE and TLK designs fail as transformers designs. Many of them I actually really like, like Knight Prime, Crosshairs, Lockdown, Galvatron, etc, and while I'd argue that they are good designs they are not necessarily good Transformers designs. At the same time though, I personally like them a lot and don't really discriminate against them despite not having much in the way of kibble. Again, not necessarily good Transformers designs on the principle that there aren't much of what they turn into showing, I still like them as Transformers characters regardless.

Even Devcon isn't a good comparison despite some vague proportional similarities. You're the only one here in this thread trying to say this could pass as a Bayverse design.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

fallen looks more like a shitty daedra from elder scrolls than an actual transformer, i mean movie cybertronian designs barely got any hint of being able to transform to begin with but this is a whole nother level
    also dunno why hes so gappy and that torso looks so fucking shit, like why is all the mass in the middle of the body with these two rods just sticking out and looking like theyd be a total pain in the ass that would constantly get in the way of moving and then these dumbass gorilla arms

also if you remove those gaps in near those rod things hed look like hes got a dad bod, aint that the most intimidating thing ever

10. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    The term you're looking for is 'organic' - generally, organic shapes are rounded and smooth, while inorganic is the opposite by having hard geometrical lines and flat surfaces. The point of my using the Mimic was to show how the designs were similar because inexplicably the movie designs decided moving more toward 'organic' shapes, vaguely maybe even ever so slightly H. R. Geiger (Alien franchise) territory.

And I have to disagree that 'they never had' isn't a solid a ground for argument when discussing how far off the reservation the movie designs got, since we never had transformers do this before:
    [​IMG]

The idea that the made from organic material metal wouldn't just go full on T-1000 at some point isn't inconceivable.

How can I be wrong? It legit looks like something I would expect out of Bayverse. Maybe you don't, I don't speak for you.

I mean, according to Lorenzo himself, this was 100% a human being at some point:
    [​IMG]

Plus, there was the whole thing with Alice which doesn't really make sense given if Decepticons had the ability to straight up impersonate humans...why exactly didn't they just do more of that?

I'm not the one who needs to have that made clear to them (neither are you, for the record).

Maybe the more organic overtones in the designs of Galvatron and Lockdown really just make me predisposed to associate anything that has a similar aesthetic to be comparable. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose, but in general it's bad direction for transformers design if they're supposed to be turning into vehicles (appropriately, the opposite is true when it comes to beast formers - they're bio-organic so play that shit up for all its worth).

I can respect this.

Let's be fair, here - there's a robot with a gun dick. The bar was as low as the bottom of the Grand Canyon well before AoE decided to throw out transformation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

but that aint a protoform and thats a manmade bot using that dumbass transformium shit
    all it is is just a shitty transformation effect that lasts like 2 secs, after that its all gone and its just a normal bay design

• Like Like x 1
  12. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    But with Transformers, the transformation is kind of the whole deal and AoE really doesn't explain why everyone can't do this, since the film establishes transformium is what they're all made of, right up to melting down carcasses of Cybertronians to recycle the stuff.

Like, in the first film, the whole epic transformation/introduction scene when Prime rolls up to Sam and Mikayla and has a lengthy transformation sequence which goes step-by-step. Wouldn't simply doing what Stinger does in the linked gif have been considerably faster?

13. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

this is a whole diff issue than whether or not a mimic looks like a protoform or a cybertronian design

• Like Like x 2
  14. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

News Credits:
    Old dumb meme that’s semi-relevant. (Label of “gewunners” is stupid)
    C85DBA59-9406-4AF8-BDCC-4DC7B9628A66.jpeg

• Like Like x 20
  15. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Finally, something we agree on.
    I highly recommend it.

Aaaaaaaaannnnnd....stolen.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

aint that special

• Like Like x 1
  17. Illiterate Scholar

Illiterate Scholar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Worst design? All of them. I honestly can't think of a single design I actually like. I guess Doritoscream gets a special mention because when I first saw the leaks, I thought they were fake. I thought no way they would use a design that stupid...

18. zark225

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    That's fair! I don't think that it does, but you do you.

Yeah, I am not sure where he got that from. When it comes to Alice, I guess that I always thought that it was a specialized ind of thing and I believe the comics said that the Pretender stuff left the individuals very unstable.

Fair enough, and appreciate it!

I can kind of understand from that view. While I don't necessarily dislike some organic-ish design elements, it isn't my favorite or preferred when it comes to vehicular transformers. As you said with Beast stuff, that's totally fine there.

Than you!

To be completely honest that never bothered me. It's such a quick gag and it doesn't bug me lol.

• Like Like x 3
  19. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

News Credits:
    Infernocus was pretty stinky. Takes all of the intricacy, sharp edges, and detailed vehicle parts that made earlier movie designs enjoyable and flushed it down the TLK toilet. If he was more defined and didn't just morph into an upscaled version of the Infernocons that'd make even Wei Jiang jealous, I'd like him more.
    [​IMG]

I think the concept art looks a bit better and more defined than the ones seen in the film, but that might be because it's not in the background and is in good lighting. There's a lot of cool detail like the skull chest that is really unnoticed in the movie.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  20. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

hes p much like the designs that dont look like they transform into anything, except for him its that hes a combiner that doesnt look like a combiner

i mean it looks like total shit, but at least the toy looks like a combiner
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 3