1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

World's Smallest Transformers Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Hhhwww

Hhhwww Member

2. Hhhwww

Hhhwww Member

When
    I waited about 2 months for my stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninjahandz

Ninjahandz Well-Known Member

Prices.... well, that's a tricky subject. I can't just throw out a price out there without a bit of explanation for the number. Let's see...

Takara release a few figures at around $4 per figure but they quickly killed the line when they realized there was no profit there.
    Justitoys also released a few figures at around $40 before they too jumped ship due to lack of profit
    Doctor Wu managed to make a single prototype and dropped the whole thing right there. I think he realized how much he would have to charge per figure to make any profit and figured it made no sense from a financial standpoint
    Heero managed to release a boat load of figures at a very reasonable price BUT... that's because he simply recasted molds from existing figures. As soon as he started doing new designs like Tracks and Laser Prime, the prices sky rocketed to $50 and $85 for the figures. Keep in mind you can get an actual full sized Laser Prime for $85 with all accessories, lights and sounds on ebay... so a 2" plastic non-transforming version made no sense at the same price. You can even get a Masterpiece Tracks for less than what Heero asked for his WST Tracks! YIKES!

Wonderfest figures sold for hundreds of dollars. Arce would sell for $300, Ultra Magnus for $400+ and Springer for $300+ just to give a few samples. The quality was horrendous and the process of making figures was too complicated. Even with the tremendous profit margins, customizers just dropped the whole thing and moved to other projects.

So why has EVERY PERSON who has attempted to do WST ended up dropping the project? Simple...

DOWNSIZING A FIGURE THAT TRANSFORMS IS INCREDIBLY HARD!

If anything it makes the production cost go up! not down! I know common sense dictates that the smaller it gets, the cheaper it should be right? But the reality is that reducing the size of a figure while keeping the articulation aaaaaaand the transformation gimmick is a huge challenge! Not to mention it makes paint apps a nightmare!

Just look at this Hound figure! Over 50 PARTS in a Jeep the size of a coin!!!

ScreenHunter 05.png

It actually has more parts than the original G1 figure because all parts had to be broken down by color, otherwise it would be impossible to paint parts like the face, rearview mirrors, etc. (the face is actually 3mm wide!)

So bottom line....

People who tried selling at $40 or less... failed
    People who tried selling at $85 or more... failed

Tracks sold well at $50 and the first batch of insecticons I sold last month on ebay sold in less than 24 hours at $50 per figure.

Therefore I think that in order for this project to work, deluxe figures would need to sell at around $50~$55 and minibots somewhere around $30.

Anything less than that and I won't make a profit and anything above that I think would kill sales.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow, I never posted in this thread?? I can't believe it. There's a lot of pictures of mine in the forum's official photo gallery, as comparisons to g1s. Unfortunately, the actually WST section was lost a few years ago, and I don't have my originals.

5. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    WST look neat, tiny bots, but I think $50 is insane. I'm never paying that.

6. simond

simond Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me $50 isn't too bad, as long as they're not all done at once. Even a lot of the official ones now go for that or more surprisingly.

7. Ninjahandz

The other option would be to double the production to 40 figures per mold and drop the price to $39.99

I think I am going to try to release one figure first at that price point to see how it sells and then use that info to price the rest of the figures

Most likely I will release Perceptor first at $39.99 first to see how it sells

Is that more acceptable?

• Like Like x 4
  8. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Sounds good :thumb 

9. jazz04porche

jazz04porche New Member

do we get them assembled and painted already or just plain clear wst and it needs and require assembling and painting?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  10. Ninjahandz

Assembled and painted

• Like Like x 5
  11. Hhhwww

Hhhwww Member

Sharing my collection of wst. Still need more figs from Ninjahandz.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  12. xOGxPIMPIN

xOGxPIMPIN Autobot

Man I would be all over your figures at that price point.....if your quality is good

13. ICEPnguin

ICEPnguin Constructicon

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest: