World Cup 2014 Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Predakwon, Jun 13, 2014.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Neuer's (German keeper) challenge on Huguein (Argentine forward) was deliberate in the sense that he wanted to make sure the latter felt the challenge - but not to maim him.

I heard it before from numerous ex-keepers on TVs and interviews that the aim is to show the opposing centre-forward: "Don't mess with me".

I really don't know what to make of Aguero's (Argentine forward)punch on Schweinsteiger (German midfielder)...because his header was from the left but his so-called 'punch' was from his right hand. It could be that he was sneaking in a punch?

Dude, if you have been following international football for years, the Brazil national team has been on the slide for years. For those pointing out on their last year's win on the Confederation's Cup - forget it, it is a Mickey Mouse Cup with 'limited' quality teams.

The lack of attacking talent in this year's Brazil team is so lacking. The teams of 2002 and 2006 was so stacked with talent. Example, Ronaldo (original),
    Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Kaka etc.

Now all they have is Neymar? And he's not even the finished article and still work-in-progress.

After watching 7-8 World Cups IMO the 'quality' of the teams seems to be "falling".

The 'best' team definitely deserved to win this World Cup but the 'quality' isn't as good as previous World Cup Winners. E.g. The France '98 and Brazil '02 teams would definitely beat this German team.

The surprise team of the tournament was Holland. I honestly didn't expect them to get out of the group stage. The only world class players they had were Robben and Sneijder. I don't count RVP because TBH he has never proven himself in international club competition.

As for Argentina...the moment Lavezzi was subbed in the final, I felt Germany would be less 'pressured' as the former was doing a lot of excellent runs against them. His replacement Aguero didn't have much of an impact in terms of direct running.

IMO this is Messi's best and last shot at winning the World Cup....as the next one is going to be in Russia and I don't see any South American team winning there. The Argentina team is so dependent on him and Mascherano - who made that super tackle on Robben in the last min of their semi-final match. TBH I feel that if the Dutch didn't give the Argentines too much respect, they would have advanced to the final.

Yeah, but I can't help but worry about Brazil. They're turning into England. Overhyped and lacking in talent. Beyond Neymar, I don't see any new superstars coming out.

I can still recall how German football was in crisis after the France 98 World Cup where they crashed to Croatia?

They flopped at the immediate Euros and kept changing coaches. Subsequently higher-ups decided to revamp their football - starting with their youth and yesterday was the result.