Wonder Festival 2019[Summer] Takaratomy booth(with HASLAB Unicron proto)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Gaokaiser, Jul 17, 2019.

1. quiktake

quiktake Well-Known Member

I Habro is aiming to make at least 10,000 of these as a lot. Most go to north American market with the rest global. expect some sort of repaint in 10 years but more expensive.

2. Dugger

Dugger Banned

Nope. Investors lose money all the time. All investments carry a risk of loss. I concede that toys can be investments. They are just very poor ones. No one should buy toys for the purpose of holding on to them until they are worth X amount. You are better off just buying gold or something. Remember all the guys who "invested" in toys in the 90s? The person who really benefitted was Todd McFarlane. There are storage units all over that are full of MISB and MOSC McFarlane toys. Everyone bought them as collectibles and everyone lost. Just ask your local comic/toy store if they want to buy your McFarlane collection and see what kind of response you get.

The best toys to invest in are the ones that are popular with children. Toys that will end up broken/lost are the ones that will be valuable in the future. When people are around 30, they get nostalgic and have disposable income. That's when they will spend money on their favorite things from their childhood. I assume the average Transformers collector is about 40. In 30-40 years, most of them will be dead. I expect the market price for Transformers to drop pretty hard. Also, not all plastic lasts forever. Check out some of the Transformers with rubbery parts that are melting themselves. Do you know for sure that in 10-15 years, Unicron won't be melting?

Gamble away.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You are absolutely right - there's no law or rule that says they can't release this later, after the crowdfund.

Toys are NOT good investments.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dovianax

dovianax Terrorcon

You’re not just buying one. You’re paying a severe up-charge to fund the R&D for its production. That’s why it’s release is limited only to the backers. Otherwise this would just be a preorder on BBTS. There’s already a precedent on how this goes with the Jabba Barge. It’s not like I’m making this up.

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Even if that is true, that still doesn't mean they can't make it general release later. They can.

You buy in now and you get an early release - that's it. All bets are off from then on.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Whelp. This news may tank the HasLab funding in which case Takara Tomy will offer it for more than $575 (more so 3rd party companies than Takara but I bet you takara's run will be more limited than Hasbro's), or it won't be offered at all.

7. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid "See see Seacons!"

News Credits:
    No, it's not a preorder on BBTS because there's no guarantee that it's going to happen. And to compare it to the Sail Barge is weird when the BBTS listing for the Barge was more than the HasLab cost.

The figure is already through the planning and modeling phase, we've seen that. I'm guessing a painted version will be on display at SDCC (hence why they revealed the Haslab NOW instead of after the hype got off the ground seeing it).

People keep calling this an investment. It's not. You own no stake in any of the process. You're paying $575 for a Transformer, and Hasbro is going to deliver on it. The transaction is complete.

• Like Like x 1
  8. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I probably agree with you a lot on the investment part (even if you didn't state it). With this project, much like the sail barge, my concern is this statement from them "Any HasLab products will be available for purchase on this website only, under the terms and conditions described herein. We reserve the right to make the products (or similar versions of the products) available at other sources, such as online stores and retail locations, but such availability is not guaranteed."

I don't think they would release anything in the very short term, but I don't know that Hasbro will avoid the temptation to eventually finding a way to release a similar version of many of these products at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dovianax

dovianax Terrorcon

That’s not true even for exclusives.
    You don’t get a general release for SDCC exclusives. They make a certain number and that’s it. You’re not gonna get a bigger release for Ectotron. They make the numbers and that’s it.

Will there be future re-releases of the mold later on like the green Armada version? Who’s to say. Maybe in about ten years when the production costs of this mold have become a lot more cheaper to produce, perhaps. But as it stands, as far as this iteration of Unicron is concerned, that’s it.

10. Dugger

Dugger Banned

You should read the post directly before yours.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    They can change one paint application and it's a different release. They can put in a different box and it's a different release. They can call it by another name and it's a different release.

They can do whatever they want, and yes indeed, read the disclaimer posted above your post.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’ll wait for the cel shaded KO version...

Hmmm, I’m not so sure that should be in blue text now ...

• Like Like x 1
  13. dovianax

dovianax Terrorcon

The page states it’s still in developmental stages. The release won’t be for almost 2 years. Trust me, this thing is still in development.

They already announced displays of the unpainted prototype, but nothing as far as showing off a finished piece.
    And of course it’s an investment. If you buy a lithograph that’s numbered to a 1/100 run, you’re guaranteed that that exclusivity makes it valuable because it’s not something anyone can just get.
    Every single Combiner Wars gestalt has already doubled in price on the market, without counting the exclusives and Takara recolors and it hasn’t even been two years.
    To not see this as an investment is either cynical or just plain stubbornness to push an opinion.

14. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sooooo, buy 2 and sell one after to pay for your copy? :lol  SOLD!

• Like Like x 1
  15. dovianax

dovianax Terrorcon

I can live with “similar versions” of it existing. They still have to contend with 3P and bootleggers once this mold comes out, so that makes sense. But as far as THIS iteration of Unicron and it’s mold, I’m sure they’ll stay true to their pitch.

16. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    ...a collectible that appreciates in value over time is not the same thing as literally investing in its creation. You're buying a $575 Transformer. Hasbro could take $200 of that and put it towards the figure and take the other $300 to put towards a yacht and there's nothing you can do about it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    ...a collectible that appreciates in value over time is not the same thing as literally investing in its creation. You're buying a $575 Transformer. Hasbro could take $200 of that and put it towards the figure and take the other $300 to put towards a yacht and there's nothing you can do about it.

The "pitch" says nothing about never making it available elsewhere. Because it'd be dumb to cut themselves off if it turns out to be incredibly popular and in high demand.

I see a lot of people saying that. Some seriously. But if they have a hard time finding 8k backers at the current price I'm not sure there'll be enough secondary demand to drive the secondary market for these high enough to make up for the initial hit. You'll pay back your second one and maybe some towards the second. But I can't imagine anyone paying double.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vanessa

Vanessa G1 Bonecrusher's #1 fangirl

Well, I'm confused. If you live in the US or Canada or Japan then you can register some sort of interest in this guy, but if you live in the UK or Europe (or most other places) then it's a big fat f-u?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  19. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    For now. There's still a month before the US window closes, so there's plenty of time for them to open up other avenues of interest.

20. dovianax

dovianax Terrorcon

I’m not arguing that point. It’s clear you’re paying a severe up-charge, I’ve already stated this. I just rather believe that up-charge is to cover production expenses. I’ve run crowdsource campaigns and trust me when I tell you every dime coming in as a pledge has to be accounted for and specifically used for what you’re pitching. There’s a shitstorm looming over you if you don’t.
    But this thing will be audited come tax time and you better believe they gotta have their numbers match.