2D Artwork: Wolverine, oh wait, uh, I mean Overhaul

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Kris Smith, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Kris Smith

Kris Smith Active Member

Wolverine, oh wait, uh, I mean Overhaul - UPDATED!!!

Because you KNOW that's who it's supposed to be, just look at the design of the toy! It practically lends itself to a Wolvie-type design. As I have taken advantage of. Got some new images:

Fastball Special
    We all know of this famous Wolverine "Special Attack" so I recreated it with Overhaul and Landmine.

Overhaul (Profile Shots)
    Basic profile shots (body, head & vehicle mode)

And finally, his repaint, the Decepticon scientist Brushguard -- BUT!! Its not just ANY repaint. He has a different face and a much slimmer body type than Overhaul so that its not just a repaint.
    Brushguard
    I felt that there was nothing preventing me from doing this as his face still follows the basic design elements of the toy's face and there is nothing in his bio that states he is a bruiser-type like Overhaul. Thus, the "normal" build for the guy. And, I really kinda like doing that sort of thing as long as it doesn't stray to far from what the toy is supposed to look like. I like him like this.

Anyways.

More to come soon!

- Kris

EDIT!!!: Added new and goofy "X-Men Edition" repaint of Fastball Special image! Check it out!

Fastball Special: X-Men Edition

2. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, that is some awesome stuff right there! Love the fastball and how you changed Brushguard to make him different from Overhaul. :thumb 

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :rock  Fastball special!!! :rock 

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    fantastic!

i dig the modified proportions :D 

definately makes him cooler :D 
    lovin it!!!

5. Bumblebee

Bumblebee Artist/Colorist Monkey

holy crap man! Can't wait to see more! : D!

6. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Damn man, your artwork is some of the freshest and sharpest I've seen in a LONG time!!! Cell-shaded Galaxy Force/Cybertron characters...genius, and it works so well! Keep up the awesome work!!!

(Personally, I hope we see a M. Galvatron, G. Convoy, or Starscream one day. :D )

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That Fastball piece is amazing...not just the art, which is great, but the flow and sense of movement. Really, really cool.

8. Mr Ray

Mr Ray Well-Known Member

:thumbs2:  Great models u have there

9. kia

kia The Transformator

Wow man! your work looks so sweet!!! I love how you do your tf's awsome!!!

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Wow, amazing work! I thought the same thing about Overhaul...too bad the crappy toy dashed all my hopes at a cool Wolverine-esque TF:( 

I'd love to see more!

11. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    Awesome work man. Wouldn't mind seeing you tackle a few of the other repaints that are new characters, like Swerve and Swindle.

12. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey dude, its been ages since we last talked. (its Knight Streak) When I first took a look at those new renders, I knew the style was yours. Glad to see your still modeling. That style of yours rocks. You should give Overhaul a Wolverine repaint, or something similar. Anyways, keep at it dude. :thumb 

13. Kris Smith

Kris Smith Active Member

I had a crap load of fun doing that Fastball Special image, I'm planning to heavily focus on scene as opposed to just straight profile shots. I really like having the characters look more "fluid" and like they're moving as opposed to static. I'd like to get a few more characters done and, oh, i don't know, maybe do like a mini-comic, to actually show off some storytelling abilities. Backgrounds and scenery are a must for me.

The characters are a fusion of 3D modelling, cel-rendering and actual artwork. Wait till I start throwing humans into the mix, it'll make sense. Not to mention they look EXACTLY like how I draw them in on paper with a pencil (but the cel -rendering makes them looks much cleaner which is why to do it for mechanical things)

And good to hear from you after all this time, Venksta. Been ages since I talked to you and Weewoo (glad to see we're all still around in some fashion. I haven't really been on ICQ much in years (mostly MSN these days) so glad we're all on the same forum :D 

I'm not going anywhere, so expect TONS more from me in the very near future (I'm fast, one of the blessings I developed with this art style).

Thanks again for all the kind words, all!

- Kris

(PS: There's a guy in Japan who did a repaint of Overhaul's toy in Wolverine colours, so I might copy them for a repaint of the Fastball Special image, just for the hell of it)

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    fastball special = <3

15. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I love all the scans. I like how you change Brushguard's face, looks like Armada Cyclonus. :thumbs2: 

16. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fastball special is now my wallpaper!

17. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Hell yes, I'll be looking forward to it. :D 

18. Kris Smith

Kris Smith Active Member

Update!!!!

Wow, I'm really overwhelmed by the responses!

I have a done a really goofy recolour of the Fastball Special image with Overhaul coloured as Wolverine (based on a Japanese kitbash) and Landmine coloured as Colossus (my idea). It's really goofy, but I think the whole image lends itself to this, heh.

Fastball Special: X-Men Edition

I gotta say, Brave Magnus, I agree, you're right Brushguard's face DOES look like Armada Cyclonus. Heh, I guess I don't have have to do too many facial changes if I ever get around to modelling the psychotic copter.

I MAY do one more "wolvie" inspired shot of Overhaul to finish this whole shebang off, I'm thinking of like a classic "snikt" pose (you know what I'm talking about) or having him slashing at the camera or something to that effect, before I move on to the next batch o' characters.

- Kris

19. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd vote for the slashing of the cramera with a "get that thing out of my face" kinda look. :D 

20. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

Well dang, now i almost like that toy again. maybe ill try my first real mod and give that guy some elbows, give him the bot mode he deserves. In the mean time, thats awesome and i wish they had done that in the toon, woulda been to cool for words