Heavy/Scratch: WIP: Rodimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DavAnthony, Jun 8, 2013.

1. DavAnthony

DavAnthony Well-Known Member

I love the new Springer figure but something about it kept screaming Rodimus Prime to me. I was able to get a second Springer the other day and started drawing up some plans about how to "transform" him from Springer to Rodimus.

I've always been an Optimus guy but I do like the idea of having the temporary caretaker of The Matrix as a figure with the rest of his 86 era characters.

I'm still figuring out most of this figure since it has been a bit challenging. Also the first time I've done something to this extent. Some things were pretty easy such as removing the knee spikes, cutting of his forearm fins, etc. The challenging part has been the fit of the head, the chest, and getting clearance so that the head can fold up and the chest piece can rise up to meet the canopy section. I finally got it figured out by altering the way the head folds. Instead of folding into the chest cavity it instead folds up into the canopy by flipping up. I had to build up the "collar" cavity section so it wasn't an empty space. I still have to fashion his three laser guns per arm but that is for later on.

His alternate mode I'm still working on as I want something different from Springer but I'm working on the bot mode first with the car mode to be worked on once I know everything folds up the right way. At some point I may find of way of fitting the old G1 cab onto this new body. The shots of the alt mode are more of a WIP then the Bot shots.

At the end I wanted a Rodimus that was an update to the original look, more truck, more powerful, and less wimpy then he was during the 86 season.

UPDATE:
    7/5/13

Here is a little sneak peak of the initial paint work. I have to go in and get rid of some of the green spots from the base figure that is coming through and clean up some of the lines.I still have a lot of detail work I plan on doing to him but this gives a good idea of where I'm going with his look.

[​IMG]

UPDATE:
    6/26/13

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I was able to pick up some of the glue I use and begin to get everything squared away. Here is a quick update with the head and neck assembly on. I have to make a few adjustments and fill in the chest cavity area. I also took off the doors that create the forearms since I don't need them for vehicle mode and it gave him a popeye look I thought. If I decided to keep them off I'll end up filling up that area so it isn't open. I also filled in the knee area with cutable magnet sheet that I enjoy using for Transformers.

[​IMG]

UPDATE: 6/22/13

Here are some more updates. The figure is coming along nicely. I've wanted to take care of any "transforming" parts of the figure before putting some of the final touches on the figure.
    -I had to add a thicker metal pin in the chest joint for the hood transformation. The original was too thin and short and the piece used to flop around, now it is "factory tight".
    -Springer's yellow fins now cover up the gap on the sides of the truck cab when in vehicle mode. When transformed the turn around 180 degrees and simply slide down covering the back of the arms.
    -The back fin has been sharpened up and trimmed up.
    -Lastly I took the pipes that had been on the legs of the old G1 Hot Rod and put them on here. I've wanted Rodimus to look a bit more fit for battle then the original cartoon and toy form. These pipes can now be adjusted depending if he is in robot or vehicle mode. In Vehicle mode they can be pointed slightly up covering up the gap and in robot mode they can be adjusted so that they can point in a better direction. This was all done by drilling a small hole into the arm panel and then using the original engineering of the GI piece.

Next up will be some final details to start bringing the entire figure together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE 6/16/13
    Another update to this guy, I realized that a great way to fill in the space in the cab area was to use the fins from springer but cut them to fit and reverse their sides so they covered more space. I then went an trimmed the piping on the cab so that it fit nicely. Next up is going to be gluing all of the pieces in place for the robot mode and also looking at the arm canons. Once that is done I'm going to figure out the paint style I want and also think if there is something cool I can do with his cab which ultimately is a gun arsenal type deal like Optimus has.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE 6/12/13

After completing the head/chest transformation mechanism. I started working on his alt mode. The best bet was the G1 Rodimus cab to get what I wanted. This required trimming and adjusting of both pieces and it is starting to take shape. Next will be adjusting so that the pipes can go back on, as well as filling in some of the voids on the sides of the figure, have a few ideas for that that I'll have to play around with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. shadeozero

shadeozero Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  3. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Nice! That's looking pretty good so far!

4. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    so close. So close indeed. Something seems missing (not counting the camper). So much potential. I like it but...I dunno, I'll get back to you.

5. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This has huge potential! I think if you gave it a better spoiler without the rounded edges amd somehow bulk up the tail end of the vehicle this could look pretty amazing.

It may help if you prime up all your parts as it may help you visualise what is needed.

Very keen to see how this pans out. A very good start.

6. shadeozero

Ebay:
    taking a second look I would remove the windows from the front vehicle and put a flat panel

7. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    so much win, I will be watching this...

8. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

I had the same thought , that Springer could be made into a good Rodimus . I'd like to see where you take this and it would be great if you told us what parts where used . Keep up the good work dude .

9. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Looking pretty sweet im considering a straight up rodimus repaint

10. shadeozero

Ebay:
    Third look, wow so much potential to be an amzing classics rodimus, just needs a trailer. too tall to be hot rod. Is that chest piece and head from titanium rodimus?

11. Spyne98

Spyne98 Host of the Rock Nerd Radio Show

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks like a great idea! I like it!

12. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 In it for the engineering

News Credits:
    Neat.

13. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Okay that works way more than I ever would have thought it could.

14. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another custom you wouldn't expect from that mold. Still pretty clever. Keep it up.

15. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    SUCH a great idea! Keep rolling!!!

16. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like this alot, bit I think it might need a different head/more Rodimus like head. This one makes him seem to young(with that's possible with robots).

17. JonoPrime

JonoPrime Well-Known Member

Definitely like where this is going!

18. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

I'd change the head, like other people have suggested. Other than that, this looks really good! It is pretty tall for Hot Rod, though.

19. Ayleron

Ayleron Autobot Vanguard

you should bulk up the back end of the vehicle, and that could help bulk up the legs if you pull it off right. An old "Ironman" crossover car mold would be a possble good parts donor. This is a brilliant use of the mold! I look forward to seeing this develope.

20. DavAnthony

DavAnthony Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, comments, likes, etc. I think I found a way of filling in the vehicle mode void on his sides which will also work for Robot mode. Ultimately that is where his three laser cannons per arm go, so drawing out some ideas on that now. Once I completely resolve the top section fold in with the new chest, I'm going to start moving down working on filling in areas. I also think once he starts to get painted the vehicle and robot mode are going to flow a bit better. Right now the colors clash way too much to really have much of it make much sense.

Yeah the head will get some work done to it, I'm not 100% happy with it yet but if I can find something else I like I may switch it out. This is supposed to be Rodimus who had a slightly different head design than Hot Rod so if I can find something I like I may change it up.

Someone had asked about the parts-the chest and head are the Titanium Rodimus Prime. The back fin is from the classic Rodimus, the rest of the figure is obviously Springer. I'm sure this will be added to as I move forward with it and make adjustments.

More to come soon...