Repro/Sticker: [WIP] Retro G1 Boxes

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by dremel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. dremel

dremel ___________

Just wanted to start off by thanking Blue Meanie, Joopsta, st4rwaytoheaven, fellow TFW members for helping get this far on this project of mine. They gave me lots of tips on what I needed to make my own G1 Styled boxes.

I actually spent $$ on a authentic g1 Wheeljack box, disassembled the box, scanned it, and recreated the entire thing in HQ Vector shapes in Adobe illustrator. I color matched the colors as close as possible with a PMS Pantone color guide.

This is the first mock-up attempt. I printed it on a semi-gloss 80lb weight paper, mounted it on card stock and cut it out. For a first round I think it looks pretty good. Im trying to figure out how to avoid cracking.

I added an insert into the box to hold the figure in place as well as cover the white background. I aligned the inner box grid with the exterior grid.

Im waiting on my lightbox to come in the mail so I can do my own product shots.

My end goal is to add my own custom artwork for the character on the front and two different murals for the back (one for bots, one for cons)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      194.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      244.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      209.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      212.8 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      191.7 KB
      Views:
  2. mainframe

mainframe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that is awesome I wish I could do that because there are alot of combiners that I want to do that with

3. MAIDEN JAPAN

MAIDEN JAPAN Banned

News Credits:
    I love classic G1 packaging.

4. Autobot-X1

Autobot-X1 Mentaly Hilarious

Ebay:
    :jawdropper:  Oh wow, that's awesome!!! great job!! :thumbs2: :thumbs2: 

I agree with MAIDEN JAPAN, i also love the G1 boxes.

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Classic.

6. jetfire4321

jetfire4321 Banned

sweet

7. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    Looks good but I tire of seeing the same artwork for SS on alot of the recent boxes.

8. dremel

dremel ___________

Im in the same boat. I have more talent the in graphic design area because thats what I went to school for, but Im working on my own drawings for the characters like I said. Basically Im attempting to blend Don Figueroa styling with the actual design of the classics figures. Once i finish the lineart, ill probably ink it and do another mock-up.

9. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Is there no IDW art that could be used for the more 'Classic' look of the toy?

Nice work by the way.

10. BruticusPrime

BruticusPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Gorgeous!

11. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Looks fantastic. What are you doing for the window film. I might be able to help. PM me for details.

12. joopsta

joopsta Masterpiece, Encore and 3P collector

News Credits:
    Great job Dremel! Especially for the first attempt. You can avoid cracking by taking the back of a metal coffeespoon (rounded shape). Then take a transparent sheet (like the window) and a ruler. Then you lay the transparent sheet over the pre folded box and draw a line over the parts you are going to fold. The transparent sheet is for not damaging the print. After that slightly fold it. Put the ruler in the back, so you get a sharp fold.
    Try it first on some dummy cardboard. It's an easy fix and really works!
    Succes!

13. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

Did you score first before you folded?

If not, pre-scoring will eliminate most, if not all cracking. You can use a paper clip guided along a ruler to make your score lines (what I did back in school) but you can use anything that has a small, rounded shape to make the line.

Also, try printing on a lower paper weight, You're using 80# paper to print on which is pretty thick and will crack even more compared to a thinner paper. Since you are mounting the print on another, thicker stock, try printing on 60#. The lighter the paper, the less cracking you will experience.

Keep it up!
    Mark

14. hippymule

hippymule Duocon

I think a classics prime box would be cool, but there'd be all that room left over from having no trailer...wait theres the fans project trailer duh!

15. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is great! Someone should start mass producing these for various figs and make a ton of money off of us...

16. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Killer man I don't know how I missed this thread. It came out great, especially for a first attempt. The weight of the paper isn't what is fraying the edges but the quality. Try to get your hands on some photo style paper, its way more flexible. I noticed you don't have the pink tech Spec grid filler. I made one from scratch that is on my fried hard drive. I will see if I can salvage it for you and save you about 3 hours in Illustrator. Do you have any others done?

Yeah that was on my agenda, I was even going to go for the license and spoke to hasbro reps. However the pure hatred on these forums for anything Repro/KO/Not original would cause nothing but grief for me, how I am hurting the value of our hobby and whatever. Even with a license. So I canceled that plan. Besides if you can just buy them it kills the fun of making your own.