Minor/Repaint: WIP ER-OP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by PoptiOptimime, Feb 4, 2020.

1. PoptiOptimime

PoptiOptimime Well-Known Member

I will try! I put a little silver on his left thigh (right in the pic), and this silver has a sheen that is like the “white” but also the gray. It seems like a good middle tone. I put 3-5 very thin coats and then washed it off. If I paint these gray parts this silver, the rest of his silver needs to be redone... and at that point I’d repaint the red on his cab. Wait until all of it dries and do a light panel lining..

Edit: I am collecting more cartoon references by the way.. these won’t be the only ones.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    Cartoon Prime doesn't have the silver on the front of the legs, it's another detail you can work on.

3. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Yeah, to me it looks full white (which I thought odd, but hey, it was an 80's cartoon.)

I'm curious, do you plan to paint the face or just the eyes(good lord do they make a brush that small?)

4. PoptiOptimime

I think I have one. If I don't, I can cut a cheap brush to make one that small. I'd need to prep this before I paint since I've had bad experiences with yellow.
    It's the one color that is finicky.

Here's another pic of the head.

54C5A749-A3E3-4C31-9C6B-C22AD474C10D.jpeg

I'm tempted to do all the blue parts in this metallic blue such as the hands and legs.. what do you think?

Not sure what to do at the yellow arrow. Is this metallic? Blue? Black? Hmmmm

• Like Like x 3
  5. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    No, I mean his legs. Not his thighs. The vents on his legs are blue.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Huh, is that a Renderform Optimus rifle?

• Like Like x 2
  7. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    It might be, I picked it up at a Botcon.

• Like Like x 2
  8. PoptiOptimime

Oooo, yes, I plan on doing that soon! That looks good!!!
    Nice white on the thighs - and that yellow on the belt buckle part is a good match!!
    I was testing out white last night, and washed it off. I need to do it in the sunlight so I can get a more even coat.

One thing I noticed, which I am kind of sad about, is that this ER OP doesn't have knee rotation!!! Check out your Siege copy. His knee twists. This one... doesn't.... ahhhhh!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. PoptiOptimime

I used a more fancier acrylic (liquid latex brand) and a fancier brush (the second to best ones you can get at Michaels) and did dabbing movements to get the white built up and looking more even. I will clean up the lines with an exacto and do panel lining but not with a full black color. Maybe a light gray for the white parts?

This is my first go at the legs. Looks promising.

D20F0036-57DE-4D21-B907-C0D87AB74119.jpeg D9441BE7-0D52-476B-B2E4-B42F3E7C5E75.jpeg DCCC5416-1BCE-465C-B064-FAB499B58F7E.jpeg 24A7BF54-0EC8-4C9D-BEA7-BE90585B3435.jpeg

The phone camera sure picks up everything, but it doesn't look like this in hand. It's much more smoother.

Edit: I am going to tape over his blue patch and then go over it later with metallic.
    I think I'm going to make the legs metallic blue too. It just shines very nicely. I need to pick up some tape to tape off the yellow shapes to paint them nicely. I will later on add some details...

Edit2:

FACCEE02-91A3-4D13-8EB6-D64EF2260284.jpeg
    Going to stuff some wires between his knee and any where else that's hollow. It should have a loom of wires :D 

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Dunkle

Dunkle The Merch Mercenary

Quick question, how much of this fella did ya disassemble to get to the really difficult areas? And if so, any general tips?

• Like Like x 2
  11. PoptiOptimime

I was trying to pop off his head. Noped after how difficult it was... while T35 (the cartoon colored one) popped off so easily.

I popped off his butt flap very easily, it is a metal bar on a half plastic.

I unscrewed his behind the abs screw. Tried prying apart his abs and underpants... no luck. It got some what loose, but there’s something holding it. I was trying to get to the mushroom peg to detach the lower half. No luck.

I did not take apart his legs from his torso.

I haven’t worked my way around un-doing it all, but I’ll update as I go through it and ping you :) 

I know, it’s easier to do it that way but I don’t have the space to do so... and I might lose pieces. I wish I could fully disassemble, have some putty on the side, some dremels, and an airbrush station. I can afford it, but the missus and the cat won’t like it too much lol. I’d basically take over the living room.

I’m not going to take him apart if it’s giving me a fight. I don’t want to break him. There’s some wildly glued parts, and I don’t want to snap something try to pry it apart.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dunkle

Dunkle The Merch Mercenary

Many thanks my dude, will definately do this to my OP

• Like Like x 1
  13. PoptiOptimime

He’s coming together!!!

I need to add a bit more yellow, but here he is drying.
    I reach a big milestone.

I also painted his legs that metallic blue. Not too shabby

Going to exacto his greebling/panel lining stuff when it’s dried. I used a pin on his left leg/stage right.

2AA6DD3E-1995-422A-9F26-06EC496687C8.jpeg

• Like Like x 3