Heavy/Scratch: (WIP) Dark of the Moon Leader Class MEGATRON

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Zildjian, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

The pic you posted of him from the movie shows exactly what i mean. from his waist up, he gets a little wider toward the chest and shoulders, as correct proportions for a big tough guy should. Not WAY wider. Obviously this is a look you prefer though since you did the same wide long torso, shorter legs, and small hips thing with your HA combiner and GI Joe Megatron too.
    Also the first movie pic you posted on the left does not show is entire leg length. It stops at the first tire. There is still another tire and his foot to that, as you know, so that doesn't really prove his leg length is right.
    Each to his own, and I wouldn't even say anything if it transformed. Just my opinion since I feel a non transforming toy should have more accurate proportions.
    Not to compare your excellent work itself to anyone else's, but look at frogDNA's version. The proportions on that are near perfect and it is basically the same thing- A non-transforming movie masterpiece type figure.
    Looks great though so far either way.

2. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL.... what are you talking about?

Way wider where? First you mention the hips and now the torso. As I said I kept proportions as "fair" as I could to allow for full articulation and pose ability. If I bulked up his lower torso more it would make the hips look way to small. If I then built up the hips t compensate for the size, it would prevent any pose ability in the legs. Also, it usually helps to read someones write up, as I stated that I was going for more of a look from Josh Nizzi's concept art which has a more angular look at the lower torso.

[​IMG]

In bringing up FrogDNA's work is not a good comparison at all when talking about accuracy and proportions. While I think the work is spectacular, the proportions are WAY off, and I feel he would agree as well.

As for a look I "like" again, what are you talking about? My GI Joe Megatron was made that way to allow for transformation into a vehicle and a helicopter. There was no way around that and as I stated I am not an engineer so it was a challenge. And if it a look I prefer, ...... you know what, never mind. I have a funny feeling that this has to do with more than my work.

Attached Files:

3. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hmmm...this is quite a build Unicron-9, I sure as heck couldn't get it to look like this. Seems odd you'd nitpick that much dude (no aggression intended whatsover in saying that). Do you have one in progress yourself by chance? Not trying to be a jerk, but this is prolly the best Leader DOTM Meg out there.

4. Manning57

Manning57 Member

I won´t deny i had the very same way of thinking at the very beginning of the thread.But after i realized that the head was not yet assembled, the proportions became normal again.
    The work is turning out GREAT, Lots of details.
    Congratulations.

5. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    This looks amazing can't wait to see it revealed

6. Unicron9

Wow sorry Z. I forgot you sometimes get so offended by criticism, despite your repeated claims that you don't and the sometimes harsh criticism you give others.
    Believe me though, my telling you I think something could be improved on while it is still in WIP stage has nothing to do with whatever "more than the work" you are referring to.
    You and I had a minor spat what, over a year ago? Since then I thought we were totally cool. I don't recall feeling you were in any way ever rude in your opinions on my work either.
    I must have listened to you when you claimed to appreciate honest opinions at one time.

I'm not even nitpicking. To me the hips look too small so the legs seem to sprout out somewhat oddly. I really only wanted to give an honest opinion. I mentioned the Megatron and HA combiner because you gave them the similar Omega Supreme style squat look. I assumed it was just your preference, but still wanted to point out that even in your movie torrent screen grab, he has wider hips than your build. Obviously you have a different eye for these things than me.
    I wasn't bashing your work at all. Surely I'm not the only person that thinks the hips could use some tweaking to look a little better...
    I was only trying to be helpful.

And no, I am not currently working on a leader Megatron so apparently I have no right to say anything other than "Amazing job!".
    I'm only working on another 26" 6 bot combiner myself right now. I have no place saying anything about a build as complex and beyond me as this.

If I had known you'd get so defensive I wouldn't have commented.
    Noted. I won't offer my opinions to Z again.

And by the way, if you are going by the Josh Nizzi artwork, why did you post a pic from the movie to defend your point first? ... Nevermind. It doesn't matter.

7. Zildjian

News Credits:
    I posted a pic of of the movie and Nizzi's work to reinforce this statement that I posted in the first post:

Also, I am sensitive? :D  LOL..... see bold above. That is exactly what I would like.

8. Zildjian

News Credits:
    Thanks Zac..... there is more behind his comments. Shame.

Thanks man..... do I say it is perfect? Nope, but I am proud of it and I LOVE the way it turned out. Would I do things different if I had more source material, you bet. But people seems to ignore that fact that I like to make figures that retain their articulation..... whereas some non-transforming bots lately do not. As I have said a few times, it I bulked up the hips or lower torso articulation would have been compromised. Believe it or not I do attempt many different build on a single project, and his hips and torso went through several stages before I decided on this.

Thanks, I hope to have him done tomorrow.

9. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

:drool:  Amazing work, man! What figures were used to make this?

10. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    This is 2 much, I'm getting a headache!

11. oddacidtea

oddacidtea Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AAARRRGGGHHH!! The Infamous Plastic Wrap Photoshop Filter!!! AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Looking genius.

12. Unicron9

13. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    I personally would have made the chest more pronounced, and the torso narrower like in the Nizzi art, what you did is well done and to your taste, obviously, and im building my own to mine. The only other thing that I can offer constructively is whatever hand it is you used between his toes catches my attention that its a hand, more than it should. Styrene would, could fix that easily. Good effort though, can't wait to see him painted.

14. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    This looks bloody amazing. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to watch this getting built, just to see how it's done.

I'm really excited to see the finished product. This is by far the best Leader Megs in Radicons.

15. Zildjian

News Credits:
    Thanks for the input, but as I stated I decided to make a mix of Nizzi's work, stills from the movie, and the toy. I don't know how much more pronounced I could make the chest without him looking like a gorilla. I fell that i have a mix of robotic/cybertron parts and real world automotive parts like leaf springs, axles, and the like.

Also, there are no hands between his toes, they are pieces from a McFarlane Cyber Unit figure.

Can't wait to see yours.