Non-TF: WiP: Castle GreenGuard

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hicks_Royel, Dec 23, 2019.

1. roaddemon2001

roaddemon2001 Mr. fixit

Is this the skull you are using!?! It is the only one I could find that matched the contours of your skull
    If it is that is massive!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    It is. Although I was able to pay considerably less than the eBay listing thanks to WalMart.com. And, if I'm being honest, the thing could stand to be about three inches wider.

I picked up some Plaster of Paris and cheap toilet paper earlier. The piece is a good foundation but foam of the skull is a soft rubber, I plan on making some homemade sculptamold to coat the skull with and maybe add some more features. If I were smart/more ambitious, I would use this thing to cast a mold so I could reuse things as needed.

Also gotta remove a split the jaw and still build a wooden frame for bridge.

Edit: I couldn't leave things be and wasted some paint to see what the skull might look like in Dollar Tree green which, again, I'm glad it exists because the color is perfect.

20200416_213434.jpg
    Also trying to map out the new sculpt of the brow lines.
    20200416_213703.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  3. roaddemon2001

roaddemon2001 Mr. fixit

Can I come play at your house?lol

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    No going back on the skull now.
    20200417_170118.jpg
    Fun fact, the skull has two anchor points at the top. These are chain links. The chains run down the skull into the top of the jaw. And they use duct tape to hold the chain in place in the mold initially. So, if you ever need to cut this particular giant foam skull to relieve it of its jaw, you'll know what I didn't.

• Like Like x 8
  5. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Epic!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Xero Prime

Xero Prime Well-Known Member

This is a fun project to watch. looks good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    Below is a long winded tale of how things go sometimes:

Well, I have tried homemade sculptamold. This doesn't appear to be the right project for that. I have a tub of eagerly anticipated foam clay fresh from Amazon that I am yielding marginal success with so far. And when it was all said and done, I decided I would go with Crayola Air-Dry clay as the foundation for modifications to my massive skull and jawbridge.

So, I went to WalMart to pick it up today. It's a thirty minute round trip. No big deal.

When I got to the crafts area, there was no one there. The aisle was completely empty. Found the clay with relative ease, think they had six tubs of five pounds down on the bottom shelf. Each with a healthy layer of dust on the lid.

As I stood there, I realized I was going to need more than one of them. Doing the figuring, I reckoned three would be a start in the better direction. And I guess I stood there too long because all the while, this cluster of people started to gravitate to the aisle, social distancing be damned, we were suddenly at capacity and then some. But you know, whatever, crafts are good way to fight boredom and I'm not exactly concerned about viruses.

Anyway, I decided I didn't want to carry three tubs, some fifteen pounds of the clay back to the front of the store, so I went to find a cart. When I got back, all the tubs were gone. Now, I don't know if they all knew something I didn't about tubs of clay with dust on them or if they thought I did but in the span of five minutes, they cleaned the store out.

I even asked a woman working the department if she had more and her scanner said they did not. She commented that there must've been run since the stuff they had typically didn't move all that fast which is why they didn't carry that much.

"Well, dang it." I said, somewhat annoyed. Thinking about how my lazy self had kinda screwed me over. It's a thing I do, trying to figure out how I'm responsible for things that don't go as planned in my day.

Fortunately, another WalMart is fifteen minutes down the road. And on my second attempt, I was smart enough to grab the cart before I went back to the crafts area.

And there, on the shelf, minding its own, one two pound tub of clay. A start but not nearly enough.

Now, I don't think the universe hates me so much as it enjoys a good laugh at my expense from time to time. Fortunately, I popped the top to check it because that sucker was a two pound rock.

But that was all right, gas is cheap and I had all day. So, I went... to Kroger. I was hungry.

Then it was a somewhat longer drive [forty minutes] down to the next WalMart. Their crafts section may as well have had an "abandon all hope" sign at it. If you didn't want the science kits no one else wanted, you were out of luck. Which is weird because you'd think weeks of isolation would be the perfect time to sit around watching crystals grow.

It was two more WalMarts before I found Crayola air dry clay. I was at a store I didn't even know existed. But I got it. All three tubs.

Once I have them cleaned up and looking more as they should, these'll eventually socket in beneath the cheek bone and I'll be that much closer.

There's a Fleetwood Mac song in here somewhere.
    20200429_000133.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    My shield for the jawbridge came in late last night.
    SmartSelect_20200502-155955_eBay.jpg

I've a couple of swords stuck in China too.
    SmartSelect_20200502-160809_eBay.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    The swords have arrived.
    20200512_182838.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  10. warhawk

Instagram:
    Nice! Funny, I was thinking about Mega Construx as I logged into the TFW, and here you are!

11. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

I've been lurking on your project for too long. I have to just say fantastic job so far. can't wait to see the finished product

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    It's a curious sort, life.
    Appreciated.

13. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    somewhere between tomorrow and yesterday.
    Any updates? I made some stairs today.

14. Dadicus Prime

Dadicus Prime Well Known Dad

I'm the color of that foam with envy! Great work!

15. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Heh, been awhile since I checked this thread, glad to see it's still alive! Awesome stuff! Can't imagine how massive this thing will be in the end!

16. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    Progress has been minimal since getting back to work. Seven weeks of down time has turned into 2 hours of OT through the week and many a Saturday.

In fact I am sitting at work right now... eleven hours in at this point.

17. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Oh I know the feeling. I work 12- 16 hour shifts and NEVER got a break throughout the entire pandemic. I guess one of the perks of Law Enforcement, if you can call it one. Though at least a little break would have been nice though. Anyways as always I look forward to any progress you make. Keep up the great work!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    Much appreciated.

19. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    Finally picked up a concrete form. It'll make the shape of the front towers easier to maintain.
    20210213_210808.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  20. warhawk

Instagram:
    If only i could hit the like button more than once. Where'd the Mecha neck come from