Winston Churchill's grandson speaks on Blenheim Palace

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by IGotTheTouch, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Hes clearly being sarcastic

2. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Is there any indication Transformers is trying to hide behind factual history? Sure, the next film will feature some actual historical figures, but the film itself is not purporting to be a factual historical documentary. It will be portrayed as a fictional film where giant alien robots get involved in Earth's affairs. It is not trying to be a historically accurate depiction of the characters of Adolf and Winston even if they do appear in the next film.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Yeah, except the depiction of the swastika isn't allowed outside of historical films in several countries - namely Germany and France.

4. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Based on the wording it seems like there is some room for interpretation for the use of Nazi flags in "historical" films. "Historical" does not necessarily mean "historical non-fiction." It could simply mean set in the time period of World War II regardless of whether it's fictional or not. If TLK featured Decepticons or bad humans running around in the present day waving flags with swastikas I am sure it would not be allowed, but if the scenes take place in World War II it could be a different story.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    So they can't watch the Indiana Jones movies? Sucks to be them. What a dumb rule. Pretending something doesn't exist doesn't make it go away. Quite the opposite. Doing that can actually end up giving the thing you're trying to erase strength.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not even that. We wasn't even talking about himself, but criticizing people who talk like that.

7. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

... isn't that what "raping [my] childhood" means?

Like, I had a childhood where the Transformers featured prominently as a source of joy and happiness, and then these rose-tinted memories were subsequently* trampled upon by a person who tarnished the same with a series of ostensibly related mass media that was in actuality and substance antithetical to whatever the Transformers meant, or stood for or was perceived as during those precious formative days of innocence?

* that is, after my childhood had ended and my rose-tinted memories had crystallised.

[add] I should probably clarify that it doesn't matter whether the "raping childhood" post was made sarcastically or not. I just thought it entirely necessary for the movies to have happened after that childhood in order to have been able to "rape" it.

I can understand where veterans who battled and lived through the war feel. Unfortunately, respect diminishes in tandem with immediacy, and most everything eventually bows to the superior power of Mammon. That said, if the views of veterans can be dismissed because they can't claim to know how Churchill would definitively think about this matter, then the views of Michael Bay ("Churchill would love it, he's gunna be a hero!11!!") and Churchill's grandson (who said only that they didn't know what his granddad would think but stopped short of filling in the blank for us) don't count for much either. And for the avoidance of doubt, the foregoing is not about who has the right to make any decision - just about the validity and weight behind the opinion.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  8. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone can be a WWII veteran (or any veteran) and still be a bad person. Just like a non-veteran can be a bad person.

9. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I said this earlier in the thread (with less details). Beyond that, its a shame that most of the Americans on this board don't understand how the British Tabloids work. The article this thread is based on is essentially "click bait" and isn't accurately representing the people within the story. It is sensationalism, and that's it.

10. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Oh brother, to each their own.
    Ah okay.

11. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    what? telling people what they can put in their movies so a fringe group doesn't get offended? but i was led to believe America is the most oppressive country in the world...

12. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Given that most people in this world despise the Nazi's, wouldn't anyone be equally upset by the hanging of Nazi banners on their home? I'm sure many houses in Europe either was a home for someone who fought in WWII or someone who lost someone.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    ...I'm not even going to touch that one.

14. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

I like to think most people can tell thendiffren e between hanging them up to fly the collors

And hanging them up forba film in which the nazis will die by giant robot

15. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh absolutely, I agree completely. I'm not saying that veterans can't be wrong or even 'bad'. I'm just saying that anyone who had the guts to kill and risk being killed to fight back the evils of Nazi Germany deserves a little extra respect. At the very least, they shouldn't be demeaned no matter how worng they may be. People don't have to agree with them (I don't agree with their position), but they should empathize with why they might be upset.

That just sounds like many 'mainstream' newspapers here in the U.S. to me. ;) 

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016