Winston Churchill’s former home turned into headquarters of Adolf Hitler for TLK

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Zeke1, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Images obtained by the Sun newspaper showed Blenheim Palace, the birthplace of British prime minister Winston Churchill who stood up to Hitler, draped with banners bearing the Nazi symbol for Michael Bay's upcoming movie Transformers 5: The Last Knight. The newspaper reported that extras dressed as SS troops marched up the entrance steps of the palace Wednesday night, flanked by German vehicles and military equipment.

The move has roused the ire of British war veterans. Tony Hayes, head of the Veteran’s Association UK, told Variety that using Churchill’s home as the location for such a scene was particularly distressing.

“It’s a total disgrace. Blenheim is the ancestral home of our wartime leader,” said Hayes. “A lot of the older generation find it totally appalling. It’s an insult.”

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

Not that I necessarily think draping Churchill's home in swastikas is a super cool idea, but the titles of this thread and the articles are very misleading. It's not like Michael Bay and his crew swarmed Blenheim Palace and started painting swastikas everywhere and vandalizing it. They obviously got permission from whomever currently owns the estate to use it for this exact purpose.

Also, I'm pretty sure Churchill wouldn't give a fuck.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People are viewing it as disrespectful. What you're describing: "painting swastikas everywhere" would be vandalism.

• Like Like x 1
  4. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Waiting for bite in sales thread.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh no, Micheal Bay is using a building that just happens to be the birthplace of a historical figure as a nazi complex in a fictional movie! How disrespectful!

Honestly, I fail to see how it's disrespectful in the slightest.

Why must we live in a time where a lot of people are offended by almost anything?

• Like Like x 6
  5. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Allow me to rebuttal:

IT'S A FUCKING MOVIE! DEAL WITH IT!

(Please excuse my language)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Stryker055

Now, in defense of the offended: I can completely understand how, to someone who fought in the war or was otherwise deeply affected by it, seeing the banners and symbols of such an evil institution draped on the home of a man who was basically THE hero of the time, for whom they have great respect for, could be troubling and offensive.

On the other hand, it's just a movie, no rules are being broken, no one's being hurt, and Churchill's too busy being dead to actually be offended. But that doesn't make the people who are upset about this wrong.

Two sides to every issue.

• Like Like x 11
  7. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    Eh.
    Okay.

8. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    QFT

The only thing I have to add regarding those offended is that I'm sure that it being an American director exacerbates the situation for them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    That image looks epic, in both a good and bad way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I try not to read too much about upcoming movies for fear of spoilers but is this one supposed to be some sort of alternate timeline or something?

11. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Speaking only for myself (and as one who has no love of Michael Bay), this looks to me like one of those cases where, yeah, it should be offensive.

I don't know what story Bay is trying to tell, but the idea of Nazi symbols on... well, ANY place, let alone the birthplace of the WWII-era British Prime Minister... can only be to make a point about just how horrible things are in the universe in which the story is taking place.

Surely, Bay should be allowed to tell such stories. It's certainly not an indicator that he's a Nazi sympathizer (not that anyone says he is) or that he takes the horrors of Nazi Germany too lightly.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Stryker055

You can certainly find it objectionable and distasteful (as I admittedly do), but to be legitimately, personally offended by it? I wouldn't disregard their feelings offhand, of course, but I would at the very least like to hear them explain why this is so offensive to them personally.

I don't fall into the "wah everyone's so damn offended nowadays special snowflakes wah" camp, but I do feel that people claiming to be offended over relatively petty things like this is only harmful to the real people who are legitimately hurt by offensive actions, words, images, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well according to Megan Fox he is Hitler after all

• Like Like x 3
  14. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    His response was "when you see the movie ... you'll know!"

Sounds like Hideo Kojima on the whole "you'll find out why Quiet dresses the way she does and boy you'll feel bad about it!"

I have no love for those shitty live action TF films of his. Nor do I have any love in general for the guy (Bad Boys II still holds up to this day in HD though... so there's that!).

I also - contradictingly or not - feel nothing *personally* about the situation. But I completely fucking understand how others would feel absolutely.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Honestly I just want to know how Nazis fit into the narrative of The Last Knight.

Otherwise I try to stay out of things like this, I have nothing to say or add.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

And at no point have you considered that they could have made any giant mansion in England as Hitler's headquarters early in the war (before he got super paranoid and made a billion bunkers in and around Berlin), but they specifically chose that house.

Because it was Churchhill's home.

As in unless I'm missing something, the only reason they're Nazi-fying the home of Churchill is literally because it was Churchill's home. Transformers gets enough bad press, but actually defacing the home of the man who led the country through the motherfucking Blitz the same way Hitler would have in the scenario where he won the Battle of Britain, this is a surefire bad publicity piece that nothing good will come from.

Starting with the film now being completely banned in Germany itself unless they remove the Swastikas. Seriously, they removed the swastika from preserved WWII warplanes they display in Germany, that is how serious the existence of that symbol is to some people.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Then why did the landowners accept Bay's money?

• Like Like x 2
  18. grindcore138

grindcore138

News Credits:
    It does seem pretty odd that of all the big ol' manor houses in England to drape in Nazi flags it had to be Churchill's old digs. If the owner's fine with it then whatever, but you'd've thought someone at some point might've said "given it's historical relevance and what we'll be using it for, let's maybe go for another location?".

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Ha ha ha the title of this thread. Primus. Reel in the click bait.

20. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

Yeaaaaah, not going to lie, this is kinda problematic considering the people involved here.

Then again, is Michael Bay, he does stupid sh*t like this all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 3