Windows 10 pile of crap, no sleep wake up

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by 3.8TransAM, Sep 30, 2016.

1. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

So who else had a Windows 10 or 10 upgrade that is a complete piece of shit after updates and will not wake up from sleep mode? I know I'm not the only one.

I need something that actually works to fix the piece of shit. I've done the HP updates, their bios and their power management, what I can find on Microsoft and searching the google and youtube. I've also tried rolling back some of the known updates with issues.

Every time I think I have it licked the piece of shit does it again.

This just started within the past 2-3 weeks. Sometimes it wakes up, some times it does not and I have to use the power button to shut it down and restart it.

If screen open and it goes to sleep there is usually no wake up possible. If I close it and it goes to sleep it seems to wokr right about 75% of the time, with no rhyme or reason to it.

So before I start turning it on with my fist or throwing it over the house or blowing it up for youtube, what did you guys/gals find to fix yours?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^ I don't know how much its worth to you but I have the Windows 10 for Dummies in pdf ^^

I can send the pdf file to you just give me your email address, maybe something in there could help you out

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Moving to Games/Technology forum

FTR, just glad I refused to upgrade to W10... the witching continues.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i did the upgrade back on launch. and the only problem i have had, was that the lego digital designer wouldn't function *mostly crashed* until they did a patch.

but for me, windows 10 has worked just fine.

but with that said; it's pretty much windows 7 with windows 10 stickers over it. i have no idea how it'd work windows 8 to windows 10.

i honestly, can not actually recommend doing the upgrade. there really isn't a point. and if others are having problems, then, i'd definitely would not recommend the upgrade. so far it's just not worth it.

5. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Haha, oh man...I spent the better part of my morning trying to claw back a bullshit Windows 10 upgrade at work. Not a sleep mode problem, but we have a piece of software that is crucial to running our business commit suicide after that update. Of course, MS does everything in its power to force those updates on you, whether you like them or not. Every time I'd roll it back, it would just update again the next time I booted up.

#@&!

Thank God I finally found an option to block those updates....I think.

6. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I kinda wish I didn't upgrade

7. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

There's two problems right there. First off, you should never upgrade from one version of Windows to another, it never has been, and never will be a smart thing to do. The second problem is you're using HP which is probably the worst computer company in existence for software and hardware failure and incompatibility.

I'm running Windows 10 from a fresh install on a solid state drive and it works amazing. My computer boots up in less then 8 seconds from off, and there's almost no loading time for anything. It's going to cost you money, but if your computer has a DVD-ROM (some laptops don't anymore) Buy a legit copy and format drive and start from fresh. It will work 1000% better.

If you don't want to spend any money, the first thing you want to do is go to control panel, programs and features, and uninstall everything that has to do with HP. Trust me your computer doesn't need anything to do with that company to run. Turn off all updates, because 99% of them are for pieces of software or hardware you're never going to buy. And if you do buy them, they come with the drivers and software anyways. I've been building systems for 20 years, I've become extremely effective at making my machines run efficient as possible.

The less programs running and the less you have on the hard drive Windows is running off, the faster the computer will run. Anything in your Programs and Features called Optimizer or SpeedPro or anything related to making a computer run faster is shit and only bogs the thing down. Computers were never designed to run with those types of programs running.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'll second the clean install. Upgrades aren't the shambles that they used to be, but its still very much dependant on what state your original installation was in and how good the drivers were.

Ditto on HP being shit, SSDs being the best thing since sliced bread and never having problems with Windows 10 personally.

MS didn't broadcast it, but the free Windows 10 upgrades from the first year actually granted a full OEM licence to the computers they were installed on. You can clean install on the same machine as much as you want for nothing, you just have to make an installation disc or USB using the tool on their website.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  9. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

I need more tech in depth stuff.....

All basics have been covered

10. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

A clean install is probably what you need. Guess I've been lucky, no problems with Windows 10 at all after 2 installations.

11. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Gee whit it updated yesterday at some point(im on inghts at work so who the !#$#$ knows when), I left it on, since I figured it didn't work right anyhow.

Now it seems to be working normally again. So far today that is...........

Ironically out of all my computers HP has given me the best luck out of all of them(minus the one that would shut off magically and took me calling the V.P. of Law from HP to get resolved, amazing how quick it got replaced after that).

It was working flawlessly until one day it wasn't. All the normal fixes did nothing, now it works. If it stays working I'm not going to fight it.

12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "In place upgrade" is a bullshit term. It's an official one, but it's utter bullshit. It was necessary when 10 first came out because they needed to prove your device was licensed and legit before upgrading, but once that changed and they allow you to type in the key, or you already have the digital rights entitlement in your name, a fresh install is always best, people.

Use a USB flash drive to install Windows. It'll be faster and you don't need to take discs out and fumble with sleeves or jewel cases. (You can buy W10 to get the license, but use the downloadable USB install tool with it.)

HP, I can assure you, is not the worst. Dell is up there, at one point they were THE worst. I've seen heatsinks fall off of CPUs, PSUs fail right out of the box, HDD fail in a week, etc. I had a HP laptop for quite some time and aside from the battery going to shit, I found it quite usable for a long time. I had one of their desktops last me 6+ years, my Grandfather just got rid of his Compaq Presario after 10. Dell? Been through the wringer with them.

But, quite possibly the worst right now is Toshiba. I spoke to the head of the department over at my local Best Buy and he said they're phasing them out of the retail locations and will be available online only. They plan on phasing them out there, too. They have such a high failure rate that Geek Squad isn't allowed to offer a warranty plan on them unless it's a high end model and even then, it's store manager's discretion. He said they had a BOX full of Toshiba laptops sitting in the back either waiting for a new power brick, new motherboard, new battery, etc.

I can personally attest to how terrible Toshiba is. I had one that died on me right as I was getting the most use out of it, it had an ExpressCard slot and I had a TV tuner that I loved using with it and it just up and died. My son had a Toshiba and his HDD failed, we replaced it. His battery died, couldn't afford to replace it ($135+). He has a Windows 8 (not 8.1) HP laptop that he's been using for about 3 years now and it finally upgraded to 10 this past month. He's had zero problems with it.

SSDs are the way to go. The downside is they have a read/write limitation and most likely won't last as long as a HDD will, but the performance is so worth it. The other problem is, when they fail, they just up and die. No file recovery, nothing, it's all gone. HDD will at least usually give you some limited access unless it's some form of a catastrophic failure.

I had a SSD as my C drive, HDD as my D drive and I stored everything but Windows on the D, Windows only on the C. Incredible performance and plenty of storage space...with one problem. Files and video games would lag when the next segment of the level was loading because of the speed difference. Wasn't the end of the world, but it was annoying when playing Left 4 Dead 2 online. So, I put all of D on another SSD and now the PC is so fast I can't even explain it. I don't even have the words.

Is it overkill? Sure, I won't deny that, but it's fantastic for my needs. I will be performing system backups and saving them to external drives, however. Don't want to lose what I do have.

13. rapid_fire

I just have the single 256gb SDD M.2 drive, it's incredibly fast. I just keep a few games on it at a time and have a second computer for downloading movies and file storage and stuff.

14. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I probably shouldn't have gone for such overkill, but I had to at the time. Or so I felt. I also decided to max out the RAM at 16 GBs in this laptop. I definitely realize how crazy that is. lol

15. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Windows 10 has a feature to restore windows to a fresh install without much effort

Settings > update and security > recovery and then chose the reset this pc option.

I used it when the upgrade from win 7 to windows 10 didnt work well on my pc. and now my pc is running great.

There's 2 options, one is to keep your files, the other is to remove everything.

16. rapid_fire

Nice! :p  lots of space is good.

17. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    just get a mac instead. they always work and will never get viruses.

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Not true. Macs are not magically immune to malware, misconfiguration, or hardware failure. You'll see these issues less often but it's because they're less targeted (and less supported), less configurable through the main settings interface, and use a narrower range of hardware. Each of these is a trade-off and might indeed be better for some people, but none of it is a straight cost-free benefit.

• Like Like x 2
  19. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

I think I know you well enough that that was a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope!

You can get 3 of anything else that can do the job of the one Apple product. I'll save my money :) 

Anyhow:

Updates is, I found two things.

I found a few vague mentions of issues being caused by the graphics card drivers and Nvidia being involved. Since my Nvidia support on laptop would not work, I went to their site and got the latest update from 9/21/16 and installed it with a restart.

Also found this:
    1. Go to Settings
    2. Power & Sleep
    3. Scroll down to: Additional power settings
    4. From the menu on the left select: Choose what closing the lid does
    5. Select: Change settings that are currently unavailable
    6. Un-check: Turn on fast startup (recommended)
    7. Scroll down and: Save changes
    Now return to the DeskTop and close the lid.
    Wait for a few monents untill you hear the disk stop and open the lid again.
    You should be presented with a blank screen, now press the Enter key and you will see the Windows 10 screen saver.
    Hit any key and login

Also did this at same time as well.

After a full power cycle and testing it out, so far so good....................

Not holding my breath, but passing along what I found that "appears" to work.

Make a new thread for solid state drives...............

20. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey bud I'm just relaying what my peers at work tell me :lol 

I also have a church mac that is somehow infected with more adware and spyware than any pc I've personally owned. I was thinking someone was being naughty until I took a gander at a youtube ripping site they used frequently.