windows 10 issues (wmvcore.dll)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by grunge, Mar 9, 2016.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    1st failed attempt:
    so! i did go to microsoft and they did remote work on my PC. they then said after taking 2 hours of my time that the issue was that they are doing away with windows media player. which that is fine, except, a portion of that is needed for things like adobe premier or any video editting. they said they had to forward that issue to their engineers so they could tell the blah blah blah ... no help.

2nd failed attempt:
    googled the issue, found YT vids explaining i could download the missing file and just add it to the folder where it needs to be. well i do this, but sadly the folder i needed to look in doesnt exist, and further more, i was missing some of the steps needed, namely i dont have an "old windows" folder.

so had any one else had these issues? what are my options? should i downgrade? as windows 10 is proving to suck ALOT.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Give this a go, it adds WMP stuff to a Windows 10 installation that doesn't have it. You want the x64 one if you have a 64-bit installation or the x86 one if its 32-bit, you can find out which you have from the System window if you don't know.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49919

Failing that, you can probably just grab the file from somebody else's 8 or 10 computer and put it in your windows\system32 folder as long as its the same bit as yours.

You'll only have Windows.old if you upgraded from a previous version on that machine and 10 only keeps it around for 30 days.

3. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    i did use those, actually i recognized the page the minute i saw it. i have a 64 bit however it wouldnt install, and believe me i restarted a few times to make sure it stuck. but despite that it did nothing.

4. RabidYak

Out of interest - if you go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and then Turn Windows Features On or Off, do you have an item in the list that comes up called Media Features that expands with an option for WMP? If you have that and it isn't ticked, tick the box to install it and that might help.

Other then that though, its time to raid somebody else's computer for the dll.

5. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    nope not there. and i have the DLL i got from someone else. it just doesnt do anything

6. RabidYak

In that case, you might also need to copy over the 32-bit version of it as well. That lives in c:\windows\syswow64\ on 64-bit systems.

If that doesn't work, try putting another copy of that version in the same folder as the exe of the program you are trying to use.

If that still doesn't work, get rid of the second copy in the application folder and try registering the dlls. Open a command prompt and type/paste in these two commands, then restart if they complete without any problems.

%systemroot%\syswow64\regsvr32 %systemroot%\syswow64\wmvcore.dll

%systemroot%\system32\regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\wmvcore.dll

That's the last of what I've got without actually being in front of the computer.

7. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    nope neither worked. and its fine. i think i can download something to my phone at this point.