Windblade #2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, May 20, 2014.

1. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    even that i would be okay with...i would understand a planet or a system even thats dominated female. thats at least a reason. and that's all i want is a reason. i get evolve but again, why?

id understand that and i could get behind it.

2. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    im glad

3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So once Metroplex is feeling better, will there be any need for a city speaker? I was just getting the feeling, that by the end of the mini, WindBlade would be free from her obligations and not be tied down to one location.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

In terms of story structure, if IDW has bigger plans for Windblade after the initial hype dies down... maybe yeah.

But as I understand it, being a Cityspeaker is a hallowed station for the Caminans. I don't see why Metroplex would suddenly "get better" and start talking to everyone, when there's already been an established culture of having a "speaker" (or a caste of speakers) for millions of years. It seems like Metroplex has a history of being rather selective about who he gets chummy with.

zmog

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Windblade joining the Lost Light down the line?

6. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    PSA: don't publicize your ignore list.

8. K2flygurl

K2flygurl Banned

Dang it. I forget I wasn’t suppose to answer old threads.

Agreed with you on the first one, but not on the second. I don’t think that Transformers are completely immortal. They can still get killed and not just in the war. Even biological immortal beings can and do still died, so they still need to reproduce, so the same applies to Transformers. I know they’re not biological beings ( although a few people stated that biological doesn’t mean organic.), but they can still died. Not from aging, but from other means. Heck, not even organics died from old age, but from old age related diseases. I imagine the death and birth rates of these alien robots being low to very low. There’s also the part where Nova Prime came up with an alternative reproduction method before any of the wars. This tells me that they aren’t immortal.

9. SMOG

Nova's alternative population-boosting methods were specifically to create enough Transformers to colonize the entire universe. So his model was not based on maintaining a sustainable species, but on having enough of them to spread over the galaxy as conquerors.

Transformers in IDW are not fully immortal, but they are close enough. They live for millions and millions of years. Without warfare, there is not enough attrition, and there's no real reason to increase their numbers.

Going back to the post you quoted, in that context, there is already a way for IDW TFs to increase their population - spark hotspots. With the war over, Cybertron on the mend, and a resource shortage, there is no reason for them to come up with an alternative form of reproduction. More Cybertronians just means more competition for resources, and more reasons for a war to break out again.

In the above situation, they can easily wait a million years or more to see if Cybertron spawns another hotspot. There's no rush and no reason to make new Cybertronians. They're not close to extinction and they don't need armies. So what's left? Boredom?

This is part of the problem with the Transformers fiction, and with the ways some writers world-build... the time-frame for TF lifetimes is too big, and creates logical pitfalls like the ones above.

zmog

10. K2flygurl

K2flygurl Banned

I totally forgot about the whole colonizing part. Yeah they wouldn’t need to reproduce or not at least not very often. Like you suggested wait for a million years to make more Cybertronians.

Maybe their lifespan can be a hundred thousand years over a million.

11. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    I think this is one of the reasons Roberts devised information creep, which was an interesting solution to the million year lifespan issue. There's a continuous sense of urgency because memories fail after some period of time, although it seems kinda dumb in retrospect because now it becomes a matter of why doesn't anyone read a book or something?

Although if you think about it, if we presume that Cybertronians have been drastically reduced in population because of the wars and people are still hunting them down and killing them for whatever reason, "waiting millions of years for another hotspot" might not be a viable solution. Even without a ready means of natural death, accidents and the occasional murder may reduce the population to an untenable level, especially post Unicron. That said, post Lost Light, the Moon apparently has a crapton of active hotspots, so that solves that.

Otherwise, there could have been a potential issue with Cybertronians all dying due to unnatural causes and/or simply not having the right people/expertise remaining after Unicron to tend to a new hotspot even if one appeared. So they very well could have all been sitting around waiting for death but for the moon hotspots.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SMOG

I agree. Also, another factor is that living millions of years should only really be possible with ongoing upkeep and maintenance, and frequent replacement parts. The ideas that "machines don't age" is silly. After all, if you put a car or a fighter jet in a garage, it's going to be in pretty rough shape if you check in on it in a million years. :lol 

For TFs to live out their full extensive lifespans must consume a lot of resources. In this sense, it makes sense that resources would be something to start wars over... not only would energon and materials make keep you running in the short term, it would also be the key to living almost indefinitely. In a scenario like that, the richest/most powerful TFs would probably have access to the best stuff, which would lead to inequality and competition, and eventually war. Seems like sustaining your 'immortality' would be a pretty strong motivator to employ force... hmm.

I agree, but there are other factors too... how long does ANY informational system last? Our current level of electronic information technology is less than 100 years old. Hard drives burn out. Optical media stop working in a decade or two. Archives need to be maintained and re-archived to sustain their longevity. And who's doing all that while the world burns in an everlasting war?

They could start carving things into stone tablets, but that's not practical or foolproof either. In reality, a TF's brain might be the MOST long-lived format available on Cybertron these days, but even then, it's limited. I do like info-creep as a concept... and when the entire history of your species is collectively owned by a bunch of geriatric robot memory banks that keep distorting the facts... how can you know what's truly legit?

I mean, if they are actively under threat, that's a different situation... that's a state of war all over again. Comic books thrive on conflict. However, based on the concept of all the different colonies returning to Cybertron, I'd say that they would be just fine for a VERY long time. What's a million years, right? :lol 

I don't know how much personel is required to maintain a hotspot. Probably not that much. As for expertise... again, no rush. TFs can still learn new skills. And if they are reproducing, they'd have the same issue anyway... an untrained workforce.

zmog

13. Fallout

Fallout you finally met your nemesis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    is there really anything more pedantic than loudly announcing "WELCOME TO MY IGNORE LIST!!!"? it feels like such a stupid thing to brag about.