Windblade #2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, May 20, 2014.

1. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Totally be up for Waspinator teaming up with Windblade. It's about time the universe cut the poor guy some slack.

I was already liking Windblade as a character but I loved her all the more when she reached out to Waspinator, another character I'm quite fond of, good on her.

I really like how Windblade is dipicted in the mini. In DC I was really worried that we were going to end up with a stoic, grim, 'strong female character' (the hollywood version) But instead we have a kind and compassionate individual who is dedicated to her duty and respectful to others(even if it isn't always deserved) she even has a gentle sense of humour. Hopefully she'll hang onto her optimism because I find it quite refreshing.

2. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    I really wanted new stuff to actually happen in issue 2... Sadly, we got issue 1 over again.

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OH GOOD, it's now another "Spotlight: Arcee" thread. Burn it down and sow the earth with salt.

4. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    from worst to best:
    regeneration one
    ongoing
    dark cybertron
    robots in disguise (though issue 28 was awesome)
    windblade
    last stand of the wreckers
    more than meats the eyes.

so windblade isn't to bad, but like spotlight ironhide, it may be forgettable in 6 months

5. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    well that's my point though....he made it an issue and now that gender is something natural not just an experiment i have been under the impression that we'd get an explanation. and we haven't. scott may have to deal with what furman started but scotts not dealing with it. her "explanation" has been no better than.."um well...reasons" and i just dont feel that's good enough. the characters in the books make it a big deal even rattrap in this series said something about it and well get is....here they are cuz....reasons.

it's terrible writing is what it is. maybe they wont tackle it since it's just a four issue run and id get that but i remember reading we'd get answers. yes furman created a mess but someone has to clean it up. it can't just be forgotten about at this point.

my idea goes like this: hotspots aren't really around as much as they once were. the violence and war decimated the cybertron race and without hotspots to replenish the population transformers are doomed to extinction. in their travels caminus sees how organics reproduce with male and female species so in a radical change due to evolution a way to repopulate is born. taking a piece of male spark and a piece of female spark you can create a new being. a new transformation if you will. combining sparks of the two genders creates it's own hotspot. it may not be a perfect idea but it's so far better than scott's idea of "well...boobs now...."

6. gregles

gregles quintesson

Just got it and not a bad read and still loving the art direction. My only minor criticism is more a fault with writing it for a four parter in mind to start with as it feels like these mysteries and story threads are just not deep enough compared to all the cryptic, drip fed information we get with roberts's stuff. I know this is unfair given it is originally meant as a mini and I would rather get a story which doesn't go all furman were the writer opens a massive can of worms of story threads he can't possibly hope to resolve satisfyingly in time. Then again LSOTW was only a mini (6 parter) but put some huge mysteries in there which if roberts had never wrote for transformers again could have been picked up by other writers.

7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember from Scott's interview, that she said she hoped that fans would accept her explanation (they just evolved that way on Caminus- done). But more importantly, she also said that even if fans didn't like her quick 'n' easy explanation, that the really important part was to make sure female characters (and fans by extension) wouldn't be kept at arms length in this franchise anymore.
    So there ya go. It might not be to your liking, but the end result is that girls don't have to be actively excluded from the stories now. And remember- this isn't just Scott's explanation. This was brainstormed and worked on in conjunction with Barber and Roberts. All three of them devised this solution, so if you really want to place blame, be sure to include everyone.

I personally think she's doing the smart thing by giving the simple explanation and moving on. If there's one thing I've learned over my years in this fandom, it's that no explanation is ever going to completely satisfy all the fans out there. They're gonna bitch and moan no matter what. So fuck it. Scott kept it simple and that's the way I prefer it.

If they really want to have fun with it, they should have Chromia or someone ask one of the dudes why they all call themselves "he." Just spin it around.

8. JackKnife

JackKnife Well-Known Member

Frankly, I don't have a problem with "female transformers" being in the comics, and the explanation, while imperfect, suffices. I really think fans need to just let the characters be who they are and tell the story, and for the complainers to just shut up for a while. If they can do better, let them make a comic that stands scrutiny. It's not easy; I know that from recent experience.

9. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    *waves arms anout* This. All of this.

I would loved to have sat in on that meeting between Barber, Scott and Roberts.

Roberts: *long densly plotted explanation that delves into the very origins if the Transformers birth. Time travel will be involved, as will extra dimendional beings of unimaginable power and wisdom. EVERYONE YOU LOVE WILL DIE!*
    Scott: O__o
    Barber: Um... That's great, James. Great work as always, but we only have four issues to work with.
    Roberts:Oh... Can there be a bar?

10. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    /\... i think that actually happened :O
    \.../

i like how in stories, for example the arrow and many other tv series, have flashbacks to help develop characters. it would be nice to learn more about her planet it must be a culture shock for her to be on a new planet with new customs. i wish we could compare what her life was like with what it is now

11. optimusmegas

Ebay:
    sorrythat your recent venture into the world of comics didn't turn out well. however it's stupid to assume that just because i dont do it means i have no say. im not a chef but if you overcook something you mean to tell me i can't complain cuz i dont do it? no sorry that doesn't fly. shitty crappy work whatever it is can be evident regardless of me being an expert in the field or not.

and you guys dont seem to care but fine thats on you. scott didn't come up with an explanation and you dont care that's fine for you. frankly it's lazy to me. and as much someone else here just mocked roberts for killing characters and long drawn out stories. he'd have come up with something better than "hurr durr evolution. explanation DONE" if the three writers really sat around and discussed it and one small panel with the word "evolution" was the best they could come up with then they shouldve spent a little more time discussing it because it still leaves us with a question.....WHY DID THEY EVOLVE?

12. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    other than windblade presuming it is Starscream siphoning off the ores, is there any proof?

could the terrorcons be lackeys for someone else, like say scorponok?

13. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    It would be... maybe not so good to suddenly bring someone who hasn't even been mentioned before now in the mini as the true mastermind.

14. optimusmegas

Ebay:
    i think it would be..starscream as the villian? again? and when the public is on his side after megatron's trial? it's too soon for him to be a villian and it's rather pointless. this needs a mastermind reveal

15. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde SOUND ONLY

News Credits:
    I finished reading this issue, and enjoyed it. :) 

I'm so far enjoying this series for what it is. I thought the stuff with Waspinator was adorably fitting, and its nice to see the Terrorcons after all this time.

Sarah stone's artwork continues to impress me.

16. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Oh gods can we PLEASE go without personal attacks and pissing contests? Some people like the simple approach, some people don't. Can't we just PLEASE agree to disagree and move on without more anger-filled arguments that are just going to cause people to not want to post due to their opinions being slammed?

After reading the issue, I get the feeling Rattrap is the actual mastermind behind it. It just seems like he's using the "yeah, I answer only to Starscream, do you want me to get Starscream? No? Didn't think so." type of pressure to get what he wants out of Waspinator, probably others, and if it goes south, everyone he's talked to will say "yeah he told us it was because Starscream..." Who knows, he might even have the Terrorcons working under the same principle.

In regards to the artwork, I personally like it. I can see how some people would dislike it, or even outright hate it, just like how people liked Animated and I personally couldn't stand it. It's just personal preference, and people shouldn't be jumped just because they like or don't like a particular art style.

Being limited to a mini series kind of limits what she can or can't do, but I can see how some of the things could easily lead to a full ongoing series if there's enough demand. And, personally, I hope there is enough demand. I like this team myself.

For people who think this might be out of character for Rattrap, you need to remember he wasn't originally the nicest bot in the group of Maximals for a while, being a bit of a conniver and out for himself. If you take that, and the fact he was pretty much abandoned by his crew on a planet, then it could easily lead him down the path he's on now. With no Primal to help him and no friends, he could become cold, bitter, and self-centered to the point he eventually goes darker.

17. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoyed Windblade 2 as well. I am not crazy about Starscream being culprit.

18. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Same, it feels like a de-evolution of his character for it to be him.

19. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Not really, because he never evolved past that. I mean, considering that he murdered Metalhawk to get into his current position...

20. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I'm surprised the book is willing to dip its toes into Dark Cybertron fallout, when it seemed like it was mostly geared toward bringing in new readers. That in mind, yeah, I don't see the Terrorcons being at the end of the chain, they're likely working for someone ...and I'd also like to believe that Starscream isn't the book's true big bad.

So, who else would be interested in siphoning off Shockwave's ores? Well... not all of his cabal is accounted for just yet. The Pretender Monsters are goons, and they were directly engaged by the Caminus trio, so they're probably in jail. Jhiaxus ...he got Dai Atlus'd by Starscream AND he's already played his, "SURPRISE! I'M NOT DEAD!" card back in the first part of Syndromica. Though he'd certainly have beef with Starscream, bringing him back again would feel like treading old ground.

'course, there's still Bludgeon. Yeah, he got laid out by Prime. But he's also bonded to that Polydermal Armor which can give him planetary annihilation powers (depending on the day of the week/writer) ...but at the very least should be able to withstand a gun shot from Prime. There's precedent for Bludgeon leading a bunch of dudes in Regenesis Ore shenanigans (See: Stormbringer). Waspinator would also be rightly terrified of him, having been run through by Bludgeon once before. AND. Like our Heroine. Dude fights with a sword.

Samurai Skeleton vs. Kabuki Jet Girl? I'd by tickets to that. :D 

But, just talkin' to myself here. I don't see how Rattrap has a seat on that logic train, aside of being a scumbag and probably the kinda guy who'll do any job s'long as it pays well.

Last edited: May 22, 2014