Windblade #2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, May 20, 2014.

1. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    caminus is a titan that brought them to the planet many million years ago and they make their faces like his to honor him. i guess they also named their planet after him, since they call themselves camiens. because windblade loves watching the sun rise and reminds her of home, i interpret that is her planet being beautiful, in contrast to cybertrons cold steel and functional aesthetic. (it's like comparing a man's bathroom with a woman's bathroom)

after millions of years of adapting to the life on this planet, they evolved to appreciate beauty in all forms. i guess they saw the beauty in the curves and shapes of flowers and nature, i even imagine they learned to sing from birds and other forms of art, like painting from their surroundings. thats how i understand their appearance and personality. as for why they see themselves a feminine? does it matter?

its funny how we talk more about the concept of the comic more than the comic itself

2. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

I thought it was excellent, plot moved along fine and it was genuinely hilarious at points. I see no degradation in the art.
    We had this same discussion last issue, it's getting stupid. On one hand they get criticised for bringing it up at all (often by people who perversely defend Furman when he literally started it) and then when they address it and move on they get criticised for that too.

3. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Were there some new characters involved in this issue? A few bots I didn't recognize. And who were that group who engaged Windblades crew at the end?

4. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no one new but the terrorcons at the end

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I was meh on the first issue and this one really felt flat. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a 12 issue series, since this one barely moved the plot forward and we're supposed to be at the halfway point. That it would seem that Starscream really is behind it is a major let down as well; had he been a misdirect it would've been something.

I'm not a big fan of this version of Rattrap (Only IDW's treatment of Star Saber is more irksome personally), but once again it seems like they don't know how to write characters who should be highly political, especially Starscream (Who still looks off in all the art).

On the other side, I do like Windblade more then I did last issue. It's just too bad she can't be in a better story.

6. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ok help me out with the following:

Page 5 - large red eye bot
    Page 25 - Same bot is there but with a smaller yellow/brown bot

There was another one but it was Slag, the guided view on Comixology cut off the Dino parts.

7. maku098

maku098 indeed a wise choice

News Credits:
    Pretty sure you're thinking of Longtooth and Circuit.

8. Rung

Rung DESIGNER!!!

News Credits:
    :eek: :jawdropper:  you know, i guess it's better that we don't know why they evolved after reading this theory!

it needs to be talked about, because the concept, is the basics of forming a story, characters and their whereabouts. the concept is the whole notion of the "being" of a story. so when the story is not actually as exciting or as sufficient as it should be, people go back to discuss the concept of the existing story. given that most of IDW Tf comics are not aimed at children and mostly adults you can't expect them to just look over everything and say:" oh the hell with it, it's comics, it's for fun." the adult mind can't simply function like that, it's only pretense if you look at it that way.

not exploring or asking questions is cheating one's natural critical function of brain. so yes, the subject might be irrelevant. but then again, a comic book is a medium that attributes with one's sensory and fantasy emotions and these days even a comic book does not have the function it used to have back in the old days, simple fun story to spend time. Windblade and also other Tf comics are part of a media that aim to give us a message. if that message is not crafted properly by the people who designed it, it's deemed to fail or bring up controversy and that's when questions are asked.

the success of MTME for example is because of its great rendition of that message, in any form, we understand it, and when questions are raised they are answered, or make way for future stories that will deal with that issue and that's why we the fans or costumers or the public are satisfied and rarely complain about it. (i'm not denying the people who don't enjoy MTME, just saying the majority likes it.)

i don't think this is about the issue of gender only, gender is only one of the subjects in question here. in the past month i came to warm up with the character of wind-blade. but what i have before me in the format of two published comicbooks is not helping me to enjoy it, i can't perceive the message and i see no answers to my questions so i start to doubt the concept and talk about it. why wouldn't the story take us back to caminus and the camian planet? just who the hell is caminus other than he's a titan.

why didn't the comicbook introduce us their culture, why weren't there explanations on camians evolution. hey atleast drift brought the circle of light and introduced us who they are and how they live. and gave us a good origin of a former junkee turned decepticon, turned ninja turned autobot. so far windblade is more like a political drama out of nowhere, with all explanations given in a page and then forgets about it. for me, a 4 issue miniseries of exploring windblade and where she comes from and expanding the TF mytho would be more exciting than a comic book that its stories could just show up in RID like the orionpax journeys. i'm not getting to know windblade, i just see a fembot who is a city speaker. how she came to be a city speaker and why she was chosen for the job on metroplex... none are explored. i'm sorry but "we evolved, we paint our face because of caminus and they said metroplex is in need so we volunteered" isn't really working for me. the other fembots we already know about them. chromia is exactly what everyone expects her to be, a tough kick ass character which i could say is the only high point for me in this story. but this isn't a story about her, we're dealing with a new creation. and a new creation brings with her a lot of questions...

there you go... WHY YOU MAKE ME RANT AND POOP THE THREAD? XD

9. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Oh great, now I'm a pervert too for liking Spotlight: Arcee? Is this what I should expect from someone who thinks Prime Arcee is a better character than Animated Prowl solely based on her gender?

While I't be rather disappointed if Starscream becomes a Scooby-Dooesque, "I could've gotten away with it if it weren't for you pesky fembots!" villain, I think Scott is making it look way too obvious. I suspect she wants us to think there's no way someone other that Starscream could be the main culprit, only to reveal some twist. Even if Screamer does turn out to be the main baddy, I hope he can cover his tracks intelligently and won't have to give up being supreme ruler very soon. Even if the Terrorcons are working for ol' Screamer, I wonder if they have some sort of alibi or something that prevents them from being associated with him.

As for pacing, I'd rather withhold judgment till I've read the whole thing. Even RG1, which had some pretty low momets, was an altogether better read in one go rather than reading it issue from issue.

If there's anything else I might nitpick about it would be this: for a bot who's doing investigation for some evidence, it sure felt weird she never bothered to get a camera or some other sort of recorder. I mean, even as a human, getting something to record evidence so I have something to show even if said evidence gets terminated\covered up is elementary. How hard can it be for a Cybertronian to get a camera? I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker; it would have been a lot more irritating had the evidence had banished by the time Windblade and co. have gotten there, but it's still a bit irksome.

10. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Is it odd that Longtooth's look reminds me of... Garrus Vakarian from Mass Effect?

11. Space Jawa

Space Jawa Cybertronian

Personally, at this point I would love it if Waspinator became a permanent sidekick for Windblade by the end of this miniseries. Like a Rattrap to her Starscream. Or a Luigi to her Mario.

I think I really like that second analogy. The color schemes match up, even.

12. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    I really enjoyed that issue as I thought it would be the usual set up. But no they jumped up to what I thought would come at about issue #3.

13. DerVernichter

@spiritprime: Huh, I never even noticed Longtooth. Nice catch!

I'd be up for that.

14. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Learn to bloody read, I said people defend Furman for bringing up gender while bashing Scott for bringing up gender when she is responding to the shitstorm Furman created. That is the perversion, not liking Spotlight: Arcee.

15. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So to bring another series not everyone likes into the mix, how does this compare to ReGen One.
    (Before anyone kills me prematurely) I'm a bit scared off by it, not from a 'ew fembots' way, I like Nautica, got used to Animated Red Alert being a girl, liked Arcee better than Rodimus before MTMTE came along, think half of them COULD be girls if not for voice actors (here's looking at your chest Jazz, OK that came out wrong) but just the overhype and the not quite positive reviews from some. Also if my babbling has made this an unreadable mess as is the case sometimes:
    Windblade Better/Worse/Same as ReGen One. Hype bad, reviews make worse.
    (OK that probably made less sense but I'll go now before I start a war or something)

16. Rung

Rung DESIGNER!!!

News Credits:
    actually it's good to review a book when the hype is over. the flaws appear more, so no, you're not making any wars, i guess on windblade, we've all come to an agreement that some of us are not big fans of it and some are.

17. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    It's better than Regen by miles, in fact it really isn't all that bad. Perhaps it has a lack of anything special like in MTMTE, but it certainly has some colourful dialogue and characters. I think it's just the ideas for the plot where it turns out blandly, still, we're only halfway through so there's time to make up for it.

18. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the concept of SL Arcee story wise was handled correctly no. It just needed couple lines in there explaining why Jhaixus did what he did. I am fan of Arcee I can't say I am. I am going say Furman mishandled SL Arcee by creating an issue when none was needed.

19. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you everyone, I ended up buying issue 2, once that comes in the mail I'll decide what to do with the rest of them.
    (Also if I've already thanked you sorry for the double post, wrote it but can't see it here or in statistics)

20. DerVernichter

And preferring a character over another because of her gender is a completely intelligent and mature choice. And calling out someone over her one's bullshit is hardly having hysterics. Always whining about the same thing whenever you write a post, however...

Listen, I don't want to derail the thread any further. If you want to show me how tough you are by throwing names at people, please be my guest and send me a PM. Maybe It'll be fun.