Windblade #2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, May 20, 2014.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Female transformers are physically no different to male transformers. Its only the personality that defines them as male and female. If a Transformer is most like a human male, then they get called male. If a Transformer is most like a human female then they get called female.

Glyph, a female Autobot, shares the same body-type as Bumblebee. Gender has nothing to do with what they physically look like.

2. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    It would be great and I want it to happen.

3. Nocturne

News Credits:
    In universe, That's probably true for Transformers but for the fans that would be a real head turner and would probably make a lot of fans happy. I for one love to see a variety of body types in my Transformers. Male and female alike.

4. Rung

Rung DESIGNER!!!

News Credits:
    when the writer of the series is hyping her comics, and brings the gender issue up herself and then go nuts over it... i guess it's logical for us the fans to expect a very good reason why they should exist, she's the writer, she's the one who started it, so at least give us a proper reasoning. not just "we evolved"... that's like backing off from everything you said and render the issue that you brought up irrelevant because you can't actually explain it. i have no problems with fembots atall, but i was expecting a better explanation. she could at least describe the means of their evolution and state why they were evolved into this form.

5. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Liking it so far. I hope Starscream isn't the bad guy. Rattrap, I could go either way.

6. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    no letters page. it's a four issue run i doubt there would be one anyway

7. MelficeCyrum

MelficeCyrum Well-Known Member

#2 felt like an improved rehash of #1, which if this were longer would be fine. But it's a 4-parter only. So we're halfway through the plot already. And I feel like it should go on for an issue or two longer.

Art feels a little more sketchy, which isn't bad, but I feel like something changed between #1 and #2

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nothing of the kind occurred.

9. Nocturne

News Credits:
    Thank you very much for pointing that out. She only mentioned it because so many fans were asking(as they would, given that it's such a hot topic) and even then it was ONE post on tumblr that directly dealed with the issue of gender. And of course she's going to 'hype' it up. It's her comic! She's trying to get people excited about it. As a fandom we're so lucky that the creative teams are so happy and eager to interact with their fanbase. I've had a conversation with Roberts about his cat stealing his bank cards and subsribing to rubbish magazines! How many fandoms can claim to have that.

Did anyone else like Waspinator. I found him to be really endearing, espevially when he was so convinced that he was going to be hurt. Poor dear.

10. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, I totally agree. It's not a big deal to me, but it's a big deal to the characters and for that it's odd to not explore it. Not just the gender issue, but the relatives from a distant planet we never knew we had thing!

11. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Windblade 1 & 2 are okay to me. Just okay. I'm just not feeling that attached to Windblade as a character.

12. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel the writing is really weak for this issue. Could have done with a better editing job by Barber if I'm being honest.

13. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Before I get to this issue let me, briefly talk about the previous one:

I felt like Windblade #01 was a decent read; not bad, but not incredible. Not as bad as RG1, AHM or Costa's run, but not quite as neat as Spotlight Hot Rod (to name another story about a naive bot being taken advantage of).

It was fun, especially the bar scene (tough the Matt Fractionesque witty one line description text boxes were trying a bit too hard to be cute imo), but the intrusive chunks of exposition felt like I'm reading a draft of something that'd be a lot better once it's finished. On top of that, while pretty likable and sympathetic, Windblade felt a bit flat as a character, especially compared to how Roberts had managed to make almost every character that had more than two sentences of dialogue in MTMTE #01 feel like they're more than simple archetypes. That being said, I could write these shortcomings off as being more the fault of the small format Scott's been given to work with rather than her lack of expertise as a writer, so I was curious how issue 2 would turn out

And look like I was right, issue 2 does feel like an improvement. While not as densely packed like MTMTE, the plot had a good flow even during the parts where the characters were merely putting the pieces of the case together via conversation. The exposition was minimal. Blurr and Slaug were pretty funny and Windblade gets even more likable while showing off her diplomatic skills. I just wish she had a bit more spice to her, like a few quirks or flaws other than being a tad too optimistic. The issue did manage to end on an exciting part, though, and seeing those apparently Prime influenced Terrorcons was rad. It doesn't feel like anything mind boggling will happen, but so far it's quite a fun read.

I'm a bit iffy on Stone's art. Her expressions and body language are mostly great, but her style feels a bit too sketchy and muddy here and there. Not like I could do any better, mind you. I know this is more of a choice and preference of style, but I think a better defined, more delicate linework could do wonders. Also, what little action scenes we had so far were a tad difficult to make out what exactly's happening.

One last little nitpick: did they really had to go with the "It's a question of when, not if" cliché line? I know there are commonplace phrases that lend themselves well to certain situations, but this one felt like a lot more expressive line could've been written instead of it.

Overal though, this is a fun read that's showing the signs of improvement. I wonder what the creative team will pull off in the remaining issues. It's not without its flaws, but once this mini-series ends, I could totally see Scott getting an ongoing set on Cybertron, whether Windblade remains the protagonists or becomes one of many main characters.

As for the whole explaining genders: am I the only one who thinks they're going to pull a Killmaster on us? Like have a bot bring it up any once in a while only to be ignored by its peers, thus teasing the readers but never shedding light on the matter? Cuz I think that could be hilarious.

14. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I thought it was good if not a little short. Contrary to what other people think I thought the art was about as good as the previous, in other words gorgeous, especially Waspinator and everything about him. Though it does disappoint me that Starscream is basically the villain. His plan makes perfect sense and is connected well to what else is going on, but still... Starscream.

Otherwise the dialogue and expressions were perfect and Windblade shows her competence and confidence as a character which is good. I don't feel like we're at an improper halfway mark or anything, but things still feel... eh. I don't know how to describe it, I guess it's just the fact that things will be wrapped up in just another two issues that doesn't sit well with me, that, and I'm just not digging Starscream in this is all. I will be so mad if he gets taken out of control by the end of this... Even if that theoretically should happen, it should be done from his perspective, not from a character who has had no prior relation to him whatsoever.

But yeah, good issue, would be better if it wasn't a part of a four-parter at least, but I still had fun reading it, especially Waspinator.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's a bit slow and retreads some of the same ground as issue 1 (and the art is a bit rougher than #1, though still very expressive), but I enjoyed the book. I like personality stuff and don't need the slam-bang action every XX pages to stay interested. I think I most liked the Waspinator interaction this time. (despite by general distaste for how Beast Wars-based toys/characters are grafted onto the IDW-G1-verse) - the pity for Waspinator's general expectation to be abused by ... anyone and everyone, gaining his help with compassion and honesty rather than manipulation and force, and WB grossed out by Waspy drinking sewer energon ("Shhh! It's free.") It will be interesting to know how directly the Terrorcons report to Starscream/Rattrap.

Anyway, I'm still hooked.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  16. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Still digging this. Looking forward to more. :) 

And it sure would be nice if the whole "gender debate" could just be taken out back and shot... There's girl robots. They came from Cadmus or what ever. Done. Move on. I don't need to know where the slug Cybertronians and all the other weird looking bots came from that we saw in RiD and Death of OP.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind if they just ignored it, either.

Problem is, they've already brought it up.

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ No they didn't, they un-brought it up by doing exactly what Rexidus said.

They can elaborate or not, there's nothing hanging over the readers' heads.

19. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Just finished reading this issue. It wasn't bad, but it did feel like it took a step backwards from the first issue. The writing felt a bit flatter this time, it only felt interesting once we started the focus on Waspinator, who could really liven up the miniseries if he sticks around. The art also came off a tad unpolished compared to last issue as well, almost appeared rushed to meet the monthly schedule.

The lack of just about any action at all hurts a the most, two issues in a row and only one explosion doesn't make for too exciting of a Transformers story, but the last page seems to imply that the Terrorcons are coming up fast, and I really think issue #3 is going to bring a boatload of fighting, so as a whole the series will probably feel better.

Still, at this point, I find I'll be happy if they stop at issue #4 as planned, and instead focus on more Spotlights or a new miniseries featuring different characters. But there's still a chance for Windblade to prove it's worth a possible ongoing, so we'll see I guess.

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Scott already seems to be out of ideas on issue 2, and Stone apparently can't keep up a monthly workload.

No tears lost from me if they mercy kill this after #4.