Windblade #2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, May 20, 2014.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There was some fun stuff going on here, but the overall plot feels a little pedestrian. I'm thinking/hoping that the Terrorcons are being obscured because they are a big switch in the plot, and either they don't work for Screamer, or they do but Screamer will manage to cover his tracks perfectly and get off the hook.

Still it was nice to see Windblade become a little more confident and form her own alliances. Good material for Waspinator, though it's a real disservice to Rattrap to change their relationship from blustering-hero-vs.-hapless-villain to just bully-and-victim.

And is it just me or did some of the stuff Metroplex was "saying" to Windblade sound SUPER ominous?

2. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

Hmm. This book didn't grab me like the first. It was good, but it felt kind of.. I don't know. Dull? Overall, i'm still enjoying it, but I think I'm going to get the rest in TPB.

I hate saying that, too. I want new characters and ideas to succeed, but this book is just not firing on all cylinders.

And the art felt a bit wonky on some of the pages.

3. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Did....did Scott lose the original script for #2 and just had to re-use the script for #1 again?

It's like beat for beat exactly the same. Stascream threatnes Windblade while rattrap waits with Chromia, they talk, visit Ironhide, talk to Metroplex, wisit the sewers, talk in the bar and boom cliffhanger!

Like....seriously? Plus the plot is moving at snail's paste, it's like we're back in the Costa era again but with a bit better dialogue.

Starscream's plan is kinda ok, even tough it's insanely dumb thing to do but whatever since Scott probably wants to make Starscream the main badguy and kick him out of leadership because heavens forbid he remains the leader, that might actually be an interesting continuity idea.

And honestly...I didn't like the art. It's better than Livios by sheer virtue of being able to tell what's going and who's who (most of the time) on but it's far to sketchy and unpolished and a huge disappointment after #1.

I give this 2.5/5. I'm starting to think that I don't really want that third ongoing....

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Alright guys, here's the deal + some expanded thoughts:

I am VERY much of two minds about Starscream not being a red herring. I think him being in charge is a brilliant idea. On one hand, the revelation kinda falls flat and makes me think there's a higher chance of him being booted out of control, which would be a black mark on this series for me.

On the other hand, I DO legitimately like Starscream's plan. It fits, it makes sense, and it connects naturally with the stuff that happened before in Dark Cybertron. I just think it's cool.

So basically, the two kinda cancel each other out for me.

Even as I sat down to write the review, I was going back-and-forth (still am) on what I'd score it. In the end, I decided that, between the lack of anymore elaboration on the origins of the new fembots, the artwork which I felt was a slight (SLIGHT) bit weaker, and the story which, while I thought advanced moreso than in #1, still wasn't super mindblowingly incredible, it led to a subtraction of 1 point from my rating. However, I feel that a score of anywhere ranging from 3-4 would be appropriate. I still definitely felt it was a solid issue, though, but I can see why others may not be super impressed.

Yeah, the Terrorcons were the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Now that I think about it, yeah, I can definitely see what you mean.

They seem to be leftover Dark Cybertron covers or something? It's really weird.

Unfortunately, I'm REALLY not seeing how SS/Rattrap could be red herrings at this point. We get a conversation from SS/RT themselves about how they want to take Windblade out, and then Rattrap sends his goons (Terrorcons?) after them. And then there's the stuff with Waspinator.

ALL signs are pointing towards them being the villains.

Indeed. I overall REALLY do like the WB/Metro conversations.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  5. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Re: Starscream's plan, for that matter.... it's not even necessarily an "evil" plan, but probably more accurately characterized as a pragmatic one.

Knowing why he's doing what he's doing and that there's actually an angle aside from "I don't like how Windblade has control over my city" makes it interesting.

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also uh, those are clearly the Terrorcons. They are even in their Legion toy bodies.

Now let's see what we get: useless fanboy Terrorcons (Spotlight: Sixshot) or steroid-jacked kill-Megatron-cuz-we-can Terrorcons (Monstrosity). (And wouldn't it be fun if those were actually different people altogether?)

Also make sure Swindle has been nowhere near those guys, the last thing he needs is Abominus in his sewer system.

7. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I wonder if the two-headed Terrorcon at the top of the panel is Hun-Grr/Gurr/Gar/etc. or Sinnertwin? It doesn't have the BH Twinstrike toy's horns, but Hun-Gar was locked in the Lost Light's brig last we saw him...

And hey, now we can put the upscaled Deluxe Predaterrorcons on our IDW shelves! :p 

8. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    so.....after reading this issue i get the "second verse same as the first" vibe. my thoughts are the same as it was yesterday....this book is overhyped. this creative team is overhyped. this is mediocre stuff. and STILL no explanation on how the gender came to be.....

if this is going to be the running theme of the book for the final two issues you can color me disappointed.

9. GingerSynapse

GingerSynapse Well-Known Member

it was hinted at in issue #1, which boiled down to "adaptation" since they aren't or haven't been for millions and millions of years) Cybertronian. I'm...actually pretty okay with the team not making a big deal out of gender and just moving on with a story. But if they wanted to go back and readdress it, flesh it out more at some point, I'm okay with that, too. I have no strong feels about this.

10. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Does there really need to be an explanation for the gender thing? No one is trying to explain male transformers so why bother. I'm pretty happy with what we got, that it was how their cultured evolved and developed. Cybertronians ended up using 'He' while those from Caminus ended up using 'she'. Nice and simple with none of the messy implications that goes with that sensitive subject but at the same time it maintains the 'genderless' aspect of Transformers.

11. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:

im just gonna answer you both at once here....

normally id agree with this and not that i have an issue with fembots existing. ive never had that issue in fact. the only reason im somewhat hung up on this explanation is that the idw comics themselves make their existence out to be a big deal. first it's said, and to a degree i see the point, of beings that dont reproduce at all. no sex. no "seeding" and area. no spark donations or cloning to make children or whatever. there's no traditional lineage so really there shouldn't be a reason to have males and females. then two characters in the dark cybertron event make "did they just say she and her" type lines then you have arcee saying "i can't wait to hear this" so right there they're making it a point that this is a big deal and in regards to their species it is.

i just wanted more than "they're here because.....reasons...". sorry i'm not happy with that. there are creative ways to do it is all im saying. dont make a big deal about gender being a non issue at the start..introduce gender...then sweep it away especially when it was told "there will be an explanations" i like continuity...sorry.

if it just existed from the get go like the other femmebots in all other cartoons and comics i wouldn't care this wouldn't be an issue but this is a world where it was established, stupidly i might add, that gender doesn't exists. if you're going to make that profound a statement then add gender you better have an explanation and we aren't getting one.

also not all bots on caminus were female. in the flashback page of issue #1 there is clearly a male bot.

12. AdyCarter

AdyCarter Mentalist Conspiracies

Was the bot clearly referred to as a he? Because Whirl and Prowl both technically could be viewed as having nice racks..

13. GingerSynapse

True, but we don't know if that bot is referred to as "he" or "she". Which would cause all kinds of head explody.

I see what you're saying, about being frustrated, and I follow ya. I think I'm just kind of exhausted at this point about it and want to wait and see what/how it develops...so yeah, no strong feels.

14. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

At this point the less said the better. I feel incredibly stupid for even going near that subject.

15. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Don't have the issue yet, but I do have a question for those who do have it.

Did my letter make it in? You'll know because I opened it with my TFW and Tumblr usernames.

I WILL have this by the end of month.

16. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:
    Was an ok issue. Not as good as the first one, but still good.
    Art did seem more rushed this time. Still pretty, but my fears of Stone not being able to keep up/put as much time into it as the first one kind of got real. Not sure, but it seems like she tried to go all-out on the first issue to make a real impact on people, before finding a balance between style and time (which comic book art is always short on :lol ). Not critism by the way, it still looks good - just a bit less great than issue #1. :) 

Story got a bit messy at the end, and I was kind of annoyed with speech and thoughts overlapping each other, making for a slightly confusing read.

Also a bit of a shame that
    Starscream and Rattrap apparently are behind the attack on Windblade, to prevent her from finding out a secret. Still somewhere expect that not to be the case, and Windblade's jumping to conclusions, but that doesn't seem likely.

The Terrorcons are somehow involved, though. Kind of random I guess, but interesting. :) 

I got this issue through the godawful new Comixology app (thanks Amazon!), so unless this issue is yet again missing the final page, there weren't any letters.

17. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Oh that would be glorious! Great big hulking fembot. Yes please! But Ginger makes a good point. With Stone's artstyle it could very well be a female(I sometimes get Blurr and Chromia muddled) and in that one shot where we see that big bot in silohette, I'm telling myself it's Elita cos that would be awesome.

@Optimusmegas: Fair enough. I can see how you would get frustrated after all that build-up., it's a valid issue. Sadly I think any fembot introduced after spotlight:Arcee was going to get this treatment no matter what. SL:Arcee made such a huge honking deal out of Arcee and her gender, that any other fembots would need an explanation for their exsitence because Furman' explanation was so PRECISE! Created by a crazy scientist, the end..

if it hadn't exsited I wouldn't be surprised if fembots did show up with no fanfare what so ever. But I think it's best to keep gender issue as vague as possible for the time being.

18. VRDUBZAK

VRDUBZAK Titan

News Credits:
    Ok. Still a plot set up issue. There will be more next issue as well, and I hope it builds until #4. I see Windblade apologizing to Starscream for the accusations because he is not likely to be behind it, and if he is behind the bombing and ordering the Terrorcons, he will somehow pass the buck and still remain in power with an improving public opinion. (Speculation)

Art picked up a bit after the preview pages. Last panel finally gave us a shot with Windblade and her sword.

I guess that was not her Eye that she picked up in issue #1. However, being a wire from an "Ignitor capsule", it was unidentifiable in issue 1, really glad that they cleared that up with writing.

I know the 30th Anniversary covers for RI issues are this one and #3, and the next MTMTE, and RID. The RI covers are indeed misleading and I thought the same thing about "Dark Cybertron leftovers". Hardhead is DEAD like Bumblebee....at least a year a.k.a. FOREVER in comics.

However, reading next to my woman when she looked over and asked "Is that a Girl Transformer?" Being able to explain no gender, and CNA then introduction Gender was an easier conversation than the debacle of a discussion on these boards! She understood perfectly, and may actually be a Windblade fan who has heard no hype. haha

Will wait for all 4 issues to confirm if I like it or not. I like to have the whole story before I Judge.

19. Faizan

Faizan 2 of 12

Hmmm huge fan of the terrorcons so glad they are making an appearance again. However i don't know what to make of the art. The first issue's art was beautiful but part 2's didn't jump out at me as much. The colors are still amazing though. Plotwise i felt it was a bit weak because after DC, i'm tired of the ores and I don't really want windblade to go down that path (or the other on-goings for that matter).

My other major problem with this issue is that it mentions the Ore which saved Metroplex in DC (which was also apparently stored in his thumb). The only explanation given is "long story" How did Metroplex come into possession of this ore? why would He eject it when he could have just used it to heal himself and kill the ammonites in the first place? I mean i understand that the Titan's are a big deal and all but we've been getting scraps over the years when it comes to Metroplex and w/e the hell he is upto. Its always him low on energon hiding somewhere......its getting really frustrating

I also understand that this is a Windblade issue but beyond her constantly mentioning shes a city speaker, we're not really getting a lot of information of her origins or more about life on Caminus which is something i was really excited about and it just feels to me personally that because the plot really move anywhere this issue, it felt that precious panels could have been dedicated to much more :( 

20. GingerSynapse

That would be Strika!

In all seriousness though, I'm talking about a bot that has obviously male build, male facial features, male characteristics, but is referred to as a "she", because that's how stuff adapted on Caminus. It would make heads spin.