Windblade #2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, May 20, 2014.

1. kalelprime

kalelprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A very interesting and merited point. It does however somewhat disappoint me still that something that is designed for entertainment must fall under the spotlight of "socially charged". But I guess that is more an indictment of the times we live in more than anything.

But then I guess the real disappointment is that other creators don't get the chance to grab the news headlines that others do simply because they either fail to carry a social message or their message isn't as obvious or relevant at the moment. Especially if this effects a books sales sales.

2. DraconicDak

DraconicDak Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't mean to say that the comic itself carries a social message. The message, if there is one, is contained in how the readers react.

That said, I don't think that either Ongoing is hurting for readership. Though I would certainly point out that, in my opinion of course, RiD dropped off in interesting events throughout Season One, and news outlets may have dropped it out of disinterest.

3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.
    I know a guy on another forum, that absolutely CANNOT read a comic without first filtering it through all his hatred of the hype machines and the fans and the personal views of the creators and all that stuff. He simply can't read a book and judge it based on its own merits. If the hype says he should like it, then he hates it. If the fans say it's good, then he hates it. If he disagrees with the creators on whether they like Coke or Pepsi best (both choices are wrong, silly! It's Shasta all the way!), then he hates it.

He also hates James Roberts (for example), not because he's a bad writer, but because he's worshiped by the fans and can do no wrong. He likes to call him Saint James. He's been called on it plenty of times, but still he can't just read something and say he likes or dislikes it based solely on its own merits. It's gotta go through the filters first.

And that's no way to enjoy Transformers. Don't be like that guy! Forget all the outside BS and just enjoy (or not) the book on its own! :D 

4. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    I really need to read #2 to see if my initial problem with the preview pages is a valid concern.

5. kalelprime

News Credits:
    Oh didn't mean to say you did. In fact I’d say the writers intent is almost mute when we have a situation like Windblade. The first female centric TF book, written and drawn by an all female creative team about a story based on the fans own created character. Even if this story were Windblade establishing a banking system on Cybertron and spending the rest of her time brewing wine in a bathtub you would still have considerable interest. So your point stands.

And while I agree neither book is hurt by this it would still be nice to see them all get the same attention despite how we my personally like or dislike them.

6. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh dont get me wrong the hype machine around windblade isn't changing my opinion of the comic what so ever. i find the book to be alright....it's not great...its not terrible...it's just alright to me. i was just asked if i didn't like the book or the hype and i explained my reasoning for both. im a transformers fan im used to hype. i mean people are hyping crosshairs up like crazy in the movie threads because of a front flip. i guess i just dont see why people hype up a character like this that hasn't done anything yet. like i said alot of guys on the site made up fan clubs and shit to windblade who never even uttered a word yet. but it's not swaying my feel for the book at all.

7. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    Is it bad that now I want a story about the intricacies of robots and finance?
    What kind of capital would you use to set up the bank? Who are the investors?
    Would the bank issue its own currency, or would it petition the government to issue one?
    What would your average Metroplex resident need a loan for? A mortgage?
    Is it even legal to "own" part of Metroplex, a sentient being unto himself?
    What would your average Cybertronian use as collateral?
    If you need a loan to open a business, exactly what are you selling? Because it seems like other than bars there's not a lot of demand for retail space.

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is such a good way to sum up a certain attitude, wish I'd thought of it. You deserve a hug for this post.

9. kalelprime

News Credits:
    Well given that drinking the is the only past time seemingly engaged in on Cybertron I suspect that whatever economy was set up would be in the toilet by the end of the week. Ironically this would then make Blurr and Swerve the two most powerful Autobots of them all.

10. DraconicDak

DraconicDak Well-Known Member

Hmm, an economy based entirely on alcoholic Energon...

And they thought the war over Energon was done with!

11. TheSpartanD

TheSpartanD Minicon Orphanage Owner

Nah, I don't think it's sad (then again I might just be sad as I want that to covered too :) )

Although that one issue of RID did touch on something similar to this very, very briefly.

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    No worries. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :) 

13. Wadeledge

Wadeledge Wrecker

Terrorcons
    appear to be behind something here. Great issue, loving this art, hope we get a Cybertron based ongoing with this creative team!

14. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Was disappointed by this. It feels like there is barely enough to make a 4 part mini. The story is too simple and the in between is not fulfilling enough. I don't think I learned anything about the characters I didn't already know.

The structure of the issue is deja vu; SS and WB have conversation, Rattrap and Chromia have encounter, Ironhide says a few words, WB talks to Metroplex, bar interlude (same characters), WB goes underground, finds something but needs to come back for it, goes back but it's a trap.

The colours are beautiful and there are fun moments. Blurr = yay. I guess I have nothing strongly against the series so far, it's just kind of OK and nice to look at.

15. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

I'm loving the way Ironhide is drawn but that's the only major positive for me. :/ Rather disappointed.

16. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    So... what the hell is the deal with this month's RI covers?

They seem to be telling some bizarre story about Optimus, Rodimus, Cyclonus and Hardhead...

17. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quick thoughts.

-Waspinator was great. "Everyone hurtzzzz Waspinator... right?"
    -I'm still hoping that SS/Ratrap are not the real bad guys - they're just being portrayed too clearly evil here compared to RID/MTMTE - it has to be a red herring. The
    Terrorcons
    may end up being the real baddies in the end, who knows.
    -That said, characterization was pretty strong. Even if SS isn't actively trying to kill Windblade himself, I totally would see him use it as a chance to intimidate and tease Windblade.
    -Art felt a little weaker. A part of that might just be me getting past the initial wow factor, but I think in general this issue was a little too far on the "sketchy" end, making some parts feel a little unfinished.

Overall, a good issue, but not as good as #1.

18. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    I think I ship Windblade and Waspinator now.

...ewww...

19. Ghilz

Ghilz Derpticon

I enjoyed some small touches in the art, like when Windblade flies away from the Energon and tells Waspinator to follow him, we can see he's now flipped on his back and is bathing in the stuff.

20. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, there were definitely some great moments. I liked the poses, framing, expressions, etc - it was only on a "technical" level I felt it was a little weaker.