Windblade #1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    As to Split^

Lets look at your life and how you are the person you are now...

Now lets take another you, Have him be born and raised in a new universe with a new history...

Your not going to he the same, This Rattrap has let his greed get him, Turning into another Starscream... And Starscream hired him because he saw that potential.

So this is to he expected, Rattrap is not the Maximal stuck on Earth with Optimus Primal.
    He's been hired as Stascream's seccond. And Starscream is a vicious, Traitorous monster who will crush anyone to get what he wants.

2. Ghilz

Ghilz Derpticon

I mostly agree. I'll give this Rattrap a break because making Rattrap be Starscream's Starscream can lead to potentially good ground and growth for both of the characters. But yes, I too hope it's not Starscream who placed the bomb.

3. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Regarding the whole chatter on Rattrap's characterization...

I would personally like it if it turned out that, yes, Rattrap was behind the bombing, but he's beginning to realize his reservations with working under Starscream's command. And, as the series progresses, he begins to learn why everyone hates Starscream. That'd allow for some great character development and maybe -- just maybe -- push him a little closer to the way he was portrayed in Beast Wars. I just think that his conscience should start speaking to him before the mini has run its course.

4. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

After reading this issue, I was suddenly reminded that I didn't like the first couple of Last Stand of the Wreckers issues at all. The style, the writing, all just seemed off to me. I liked it a little more at the series' end, but it wasn't until seeing more of Roberts' work later on that I went back and finally "got" it. Of course, now it's the first item on my "must read" list for new readers.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, sorry, but this is comic books, dude.

These are not real people, they are fictional characters, and one of those characters was chosen on the merit of his character to be in this continuity, and had his character completley changed to what even was the point.

You can make excuses for everything with "alternate universe logic" but it doesn't change the fact that it's stupid.

Exactly. It's not taht he's changed, it's that he's such a braindead, poorly-thought-out, weaksauce, child's misinformed aproximation of Rattrap.

Rattrap isn't written this way because of character developement or narrative purpose, it's laziness because there was no room for the character he was because he was put in for no God damn reason.

Like I said, if this was Waspinator instead? Would've been perfect. The original Waspinator wasn't as dark or scheme-y, but he would've allowed for and made sens eto become that way.

Rattrap was a God-damn hero of the Beast Wars, the battle for their race's past, present and future, and he's become a lousy croney. He had a personality, a story, developement, history. It's just sad.

6. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    Rattrap's done little of merit so far.

There's always room for a tale of redemption.

I'm still not entirely convinced he isn't an Autobot mole...er..rat. Another one of Prowl's dirty little secrets, like Skids and Getaway, to keep tabs on everything and everyone.

7. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Which is the worst part.

They just keep adding characters for no reason. What has Sky-Byte done? Or Waspinator? Why do they exist?

8. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Well, bugger me, that was a lot better than I was expecting! Not that I was expecting something truely awful but I always tend to be wary(with a slice of optmism) when it comes to spin-offs. But I really enjoyed this! Like everyone else, I think the art is amazing. Not only beautiful to look at but full of fun and character,loved the expressions. Writing and characterisation, for the first issue at least, was solid and makes for a really good set up and I'm perfectly content with the fembot origins.

The stand out scene for me was deff the bomb scene but I also really like seeing Windblade talking with Metroplex. Something about the colouring/lighting and windblade's body language made it a strangely intimate scene.

And lol to Hasbro/Windblade conspiracy theories XD

9. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    I mean if you're gonna populate an entire planet you may as well draw from the 30 years of the franchise, otherwise people would be doing the same amount of bitching but about original characters being "shoved down our throats".

Waspinator and Sky Byte are popular - hall of fame nominees and all that. Not to mention they've got toys coming out.

10. yakko

yakko IaconHub BossMonkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I don't think the bomber was Rattrap or Starscream. I think that both are red herrings and the bomber will be someone else that we aren't expecting. Maybe someone from the bar scene, or someone that we didn't see at all like Scoop. I feel like it's a setup for us (and Windblade) to blame Rattrap. Starscream's behind it ultimately, but he's not getting his hands dirty.

11. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    That would be perfect.

Or hell MAKE HIM A BAD GUY! I have no problem with Rattrap being a bad guy but make him a GOOD one.

I assume you guys watch/read Game of Thrones? So to make a comparison Rattrap should be Starscream's Lord Varys or Littlefinger. Someone who has a network of information, who knows everything about everyone in Metroplex/Iacon. And because he's a rat he could crawl anywhere and hear anything. He could be Starscream's eyes and ears in the city.

THAT would be a kick-ass new take on Rattrap that would fit him.

Making him a generic thug just shows how little imagination Barber generally had when it comes to making characters, so now Scott is stuck with the lame sidekick Rattrap. I still hope she manages to make him interesting but I'm not holding my breath for it.

12. Noisemaze

Noisemaze Anti-Anti-Aircraft

Starscream is 10/10 would marry.
    Not really feeling what Windblade is since at times seems weak and at other times serious. Plus her narration not fitting with her dialogue.

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But they're not DOING anything. They could be replaced by anyone, or not exist at all. Replace them with someone doing something, don't just have them literally stand around.

14. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am going say it would be rather obvious that Rattrap and Starscream are behind it. I am with Yakko on this one they are red herrings.

I like the line for the Windblade and Chromia they are female because of evolution handled

15. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    That was pretty good I enjoyed that.

16. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

So, according to mystery story "rules", we've already seen who's responsible for the bombing. So, my money's on Swindle. Not too obvious, but totally makes sense in hindsight, and from a meta perspective, doesn't rock the characterization boat too much. Could be anyone, though, depending on what new evidence turns up later.

Edit: OH, unless it's Ironhide, gone a little crazy inside...

17. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He had been hanging out with Dynobots. However where is Prowl and his pawns? Maybe they are involved some how.

18. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I don't get why people think it's NOT Rattrap who did this.

Scott is a Prime writer. Prime is not a series known for it's subtlety and ingenious plot-twists.

If the writing on the wall says it Rattrap (which is totally does) than it's Rattrap.

Now if Scott wants to try and make Rattrap interesting she'll make him act on his own agenda (I mean we already know that Rattrap knows that Starscream killed Metalhawk nobody else knows that) or like MechaV said possibly make him Prowl's secret agent and working on his agenda to strip Starscream off leadership or anything else BUT being Starscream's crony.

I can swallow up any change to a character but the change needs to be something FUN.

19. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Or Waspinator. Poor gullible easily led Waspinator.

20. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I swear to god, the bomber is Rodimus (again). Just read Autocracy, he's done it before.
    The effing lunatic is so jealous that he can't be captain of the Lost Light anymore he's gone on a mad scheme to set off bombs in town.

Different circumstances give different results. I know from first-hand, second-hand, damnit every kind of hand (touch touch touch) that shit product =/= shit people. Ever bought a videogame that was so bad, you wondered if fricking monkeys made it? I can assure you, 90% of the workforce on that game are talented, or at the least adequate, creatives who would flourish had it been any other kind of project.
    DaVinci level of jack-of-all-trades are really rare, but most people have clear strengths they just not always get to use. Next to that, decisions on big(-budget) group projects are often in the hands of a couple few, and not always do the best decisions get made. :) 

So no, I don't believe the bomber is obviously Rattrap, because the writer has worked on a show not known for its great scripts (I'm with you though, heavily disliked Prime for that, as well as the Rage of the Dinobots comics). This is a different team, with different goals, and a new chance for everyone involved to prove themselves. :thumb 

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014