Windblade #1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, Apr 15, 2014.

1. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    So one thing I have to draw attention to as being SO well done - the post-bombing scene.

Just the sudden loss of all color, the cracked screen, just the whole feeling of a shellshocked character... especially once it hit me that the thing she was fumbling for was her EYE.

2. adambman

adambman Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I anticipate that it may have seemed tedious to some, though I really liked the progression to that third of the three panels where they're crawling around in Metroplex and we get a closeup of Windblade's face. :D 

3. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    I totally agree. Sarah Stone's art is amazing. <3

4. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    You kiddin', man? Barber's Starscream is still one of the best. I find it absolutely bizarre that anyone would say Barber doesn't get him.

Anyway, good issue. Really, really like the art. Although I must admit some disappointment that Sky-Byte isn't going with Jazz and we won't be seeing more of their bromance.

5. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    While I disagree with you about Barber's Starscream, I did want Sky-Bite to go with Prime/Jazz. "Hey man, they have these things on Earth that look like you, but made of meat!". "Sweet, I'm in".

6. adambman

adambman Well-Known Member

Blurr's line reminded me of Dreadwind and more so Darkwing - who has a Classics/Universe figure called Darkwind, just to aid in confusing the two - I like those guys for some reason but occasionally need to stop and double check which is which and how the names go. :eek: 

I think I understand your other point too. It was very much in her head for the most part, and yet while the Macadam's scene seemed like a refreshing shift from that, the conclusion to it was for me one of the points where Windblade, the character was at her most accessible and openly related to, all credit due to both artist and writer harmonizing well there.

Of course the perspective at times is going to cause some pause for thought, at which point I reflect that Windblade's name's on the title, after all. This perspective seemed at it's most prominent visually in the scene where the violence spiked; I admire it at face value and as an experiment in expressiveness. Well done, Sarah.

Arguably Scott delves most into Windblade's perspective during the - whichever fits best - dream/recovery scene, but as I said in a post above, it's a cool way to delve into world building and work in some details without creating clunky exposition.

I was thinking of saving my jump from seven to eight out of ten to see how the miniseries pans out, but cannot impeach your reasoning on the art there.

7. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I think Barber gets Starscream, though he on occasion ... overwrites him in a way that makes SS come across looking kind of daft.

Like in RID #20 when he's talking to Scoop and is all "you're religious nu—I mean true believers?" We do get that Starscream is a two-faced weasel, he doesn't have to accidentally say out loud what he really thinks of people to get that across.

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Meh. I would've been completely fine with it, to be honest, if it had been how the fembots were introduced in the first place, without Furman's Arcee origin. But, as said, the origin presented here (and under the already-established circumstances) is perfectly acceptable.

That's one thing I did want to bring up - although I adored the artwork throughout the book, I found the explosion sequence a bit hard to follow. Now that I think about it, it may have been intentional, but I couldn't quite work out what exactly was going on.

But now that you mention about the eye, I can totally see (ha) it. BRUTAL.

9. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Very, very good issue. Good, solid writing. Mairgheed (I think I spelt that right) manages to slot stylistically right in between RID and MTMTE. I like the explanation, an dI think it can fit right in with a lot of established world building that's already happened. The Knights, and SL Arcee. We know that Jihaxus has long had an interest in the Titans, it's more than possible that he visited Camnius on the sly and that's where he got his whole gender idea from.

The art. Wow. It's transformers, but not as we know it. Stunning. Absolutely stone cold stunning. The post explosion scene in shades of grey was beautiful. I don't care what her influences are, what styles she's mimicking, she's created something beautiful here. The expressions, the shadow bots on the streets, the shades, absolutely glorious. Very glad to have her aboard.

10. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I really do enjoy these toonier art styles.

If I'm to nitpick, I had some issue with that top panel on page 11:

[​IMG]

Chromia's red lights threw me off, and I couldn't tell who was whom. It only took a few seconds to decipher the panel, and it's obvious to me now, but that was enough time to break the flow and pull me out of the world.

I'd hope for some color-coded highlights or tinted shadows the next go around~
    [​IMG]

11. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I quite liked that.. Bring on the next issue.

Also, lawl at the conspiracy guy.

12. yakko

yakko IaconHub BossMonkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I never noticed that and just went back. That's a nice touch. I liked how the art seemed to devolve for the chaos of that scene.

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That bar scene was just a delight start to finish. I wouldn't call this a ground-breaking issue for IDW, but ANY 2013-2014 issue is head-and-shoulders above their pre-2012 output. Scott is slugging in the same weight class as Barber and Roberts from day one.

As far as the "origin" of Windblade-Chromia-Nautica, I'm intrigued that it leaves us a little more room for "explanation" of femininity if the book decides to go in that direction--and the Rattrap-Chromia moment is the strongest indication that it might--but, it also is sufficient to just leave standing. After all, there is a shark in the bar. They had millions of years to discover / evolve gender on whatever planet Caminus landed on. If Jhiaxus could do it deliberately...

BTW, this is probably reading too far into this (and isn't exactly enlightened) but it kind of ties into Thunderclash's, uh, memetic status that he's the only Autobot who ever discovered the Planet Of The Girls.

Also, did Caminus block the "come home" signal? Wonder why Caminians haven't showed up before.

14. VRDUBZAK

VRDUBZAK Titan

News Credits:
    Good Read. And there were a few things that caught my attention:

"Cybertron was not a lone planet, but a grand empire."

"Enormous living ships like Caminus carried their own Hot Spots"

"Caminus forged our world"

"We adapted, all life does"

So multiple races of Cybertronian descendants living on cyber-formed worlds created by their own Titan transports, spread across the galaxy. Essentially, "Expansion" actually happened at some point in the Cybertronian past, and Nova was denied the Titan's existence in the Annual stories (and quite possibly the ability to create more new life).

Also explains where the Hot Spots on Luna 1 were found, originally inside the Titans that Lockdown and Tyrest's lackeys were harvesting.

so....I have to wait another month?!?!?! This sucks.

15. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    IDW Starscream is my favourite "serious" version of Starscream but it's not nearly as good as it could be.

I have a love-hate relationship with Barber's writing. He has good ideas and good intentions when it comes to character but his overall writing style, lack of subtlety doesn't suit Starscream as a character. Barber had the right idea for Starscream, but he failed in execution (just like with almost every other character).

Scott's Starscream has subtlety and menace in three panel than Barber's Starscream had in over 20 issues and I hope she keeps it up and doesn't fuck it as horribly as TF Prime did.

Also I liked the subtle hints that Chromia has a crush on Ironhide. Nice homage :) 

16. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

So, I wonder if we'll ever see any other transformer varients that evolved? Maybe something like a world where no-one has a humanoid robot mode, but a beast mode and a vehicle mode, sorta like Sky-Lynx?

Damn I'm kinda hating waiting for the trade. That art is glorious. As Glourius as animated Lugnut finds Megatron.

17. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

(I'm thoroughly enjoying tsundere Chromia)

18. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Read it, but didn't think it was very good.

I don't want to say it was boring, but thats about all I can say about it. There was something almost Drift like in the way it felt like the comic was trying to like "You should like this character! Just because!"

I am sure it will get a lot better, Dark Cybertron was fairly slow, and kicked into gear after 6 issues and ended up being awesome. So maybe this will improve too, but I don't think this book is for me and I don't plan on sticking with it.

I am really glad other people like it, and hope its successful, as the more Transformers books on the shelves the better :) 

19. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Read it, enjoyed it more than I expected to. Loved the art, it blows Livio Ramondelli's "painted" art out of the water for me.

If the first issue is any indication, I'll probably enjoy this more than RID.

20. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    I just got through with it, and I loved it!

Sarah Stone's art is absolutely beautiful. I wish she'd design and do artwork for the next Transformers show, or something bigger TF related. But I enjoyed this issue very much. :D 

I hope this becomes a full series, alongside MTMTE and RiD, or at least Sarah sticks around. As said above, the more Transformers books the better. I also read something about the 13 in this thread, I "hope" they appear somewhere in the IDW series.

After the abysmal Covenant of Primus, I want a proper use of the 13, I want The Fallen to become a major threat again.