Will we ever get another Masterpiece figure with the same build quality and size as MP1/MP4 Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PrimalPrime007, Dec 14, 2016.

1. PrimalPrime007

PrimalPrime007 Well-Known Member

MP1/MP4 Masterpiece Prime is the best figurine I have ever own and purchase, without any regret. The build quality, the size, the weight are all just amazing. A true Masterpiece

All the "Masterpieces" that came after him were extremely disappointing. Almost all of them were significantly smaller, have fewer metal parts, and even their plastics feel cheaper/less durable. Hell, they sure don't feel like "Masterpiece" to me.

Will Takara/Hasbro give us another Masterpiece on the same level as MP1/MP4 Masterpiece Prime?

2. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    Why would we? MP-01 suffered hardcore for it's size and the die cast. Just look at the original MP megs to see why those shouldn't be selling points. The post-Rodimus line is so much better in basically every way.

• Like Like x 4
  3. PrimalPrime007

PrimalPrime007 Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate? In what way does it "suffer"? I like the weight and size of MP1/MP4.

4. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think what he means is that it's nice to own Masterpieces whose legs don't bend in on themselves when you hold them at a certain angle.

Don't get me wrong, MP-01 is a fantastic figure, and one of the only Transformers I've ever had on display (and I still had it on display until very recently), but more recent Masterpiece figures have done triple-time as great vehicle replicas, action figures and display pieces, whereas MP-01 was more inclined towards the latter.

• Like Like x 3
  5. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    I mean, just look at it. Obviously the engineering wasn't all there, because, let's face it, that truck mode is on par with Hybrid Style Convoy. It's got big holes in the side and generally doesn't look like an actual truck at all. I don't personally own it but I've heard a lot of tales of the legs collapsing due to the weight of the torso. The robot mode doesn't look particularly good either. MP-10 does basically everything that MP-01 does in regards to transformation and cartoon accuracy, and does it much better. Proportions are all over the map (Thighs too short, shoulders way too low)
    It was nice at the time for what it was, but I think that it's been far surpassed by Takara not throwing ridiculous amounts of die cast and making super large, out of scale pieces and instead focusing on making good transformations and good figures.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    My MP-01 is a fucking tank.

• Like Like x 2
  7. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

He is the superior mold vs MP10. I also love the size and weight of the figure but think for display and pose-ability I would prefer MP01 in MP10 size. If they do ever make another figure in that size class and with that much detail and die cast then I hope it is Jetfire. He would scale really well with the post-Rodimus line in MP01 size.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    I love MP-01 but I'm very happy with the new direction that started with 10 too. The smaller ones are a much more manageable scale IMO.

9. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I love mine. I do think the newer MPs have several points in their favor but the MP-01 has a presence and heft that the others lack imo. Just because it's old does not mean that it's insignificant.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Bro, I don't want to start no shit in this section of tfw2005. I will say to you, come over to the dark side. Your new home is the 3P section of the boards. I'll see you there:confused2 

• Like Like x 1
  11. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    If i remember right wasnt mp01 designed to work with the altanators then all the others upto rodimus based on the optimusprime.

I have mp01 and mp05 on display and to be honest i reallly like those two

• Like Like x 1
  12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I agree that on paper, MP-01 has issues.

But there is an impressiveness to it that people who don't own it will never understand through descriptions or reviews or photos alone.

I would love a full line of true Masterpieces in scale with MP-01, with die-cast parts, rubber tires, shock absorbers, etc., but with the better engineering, proportions and likenesses of the newer line. Real showpieces. But I'm sure at this point, the price for such things would be up there with the 3A statues.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    GR1ML0CK has given you the truth. Do what you will.

• Like Like x 2
  14. snoopcow

snoopcow Mold hoarder

May the Father of Understanding guide you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Build quality and MP-1...:p 

I remember quite a few report of people complaining that the hip joints broke under the weigth of all the die cast in the legs. When lifting him you really had to support his legs to prevent this.
    I also remember that whenever you picked him up you could heard the plastic joints being taxed under the weight of the figure.

The figure also had trouble with more active poses because there was too much die cast in his upper body.

Then there was the lackluster altmode.

But the size was impressive as were some of the features. But to be honest, that was all it was to me. I never really liked him. But then, I got him in the same shipment as BT Smokescreen...with his realistic altmode, his metallic glossy paint and all those sponsering decals. BT Smokescreen blew MP-01 away to me.

Not really. MP-01 was designed to be a stand alone piece. A commemoration of twenty years of Transformers. But a lot of fans used him with BT/Alternators and although that wasn't the intent, TT was aware of this. But outside of the first prototypes shown, I don't think they ever advertised them together.

It is even possible that fans using them together played a (small) part in the decision to make MP-3 Starscream more realistic in altmode, although it likely was to lure in Macross fan and the like.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Lavender - the most evil of colours...

News Credits:
    I mostly agree with this, but I found the amount diecast in the upper body to be detrimental. After a year or two of ownership the ankle joints couldn't support his weight. Still, he's an awesome display piece, and I regret selling him.

As for TakTom releasing something on the same "level" as MP-1, I can't imagine they would for some years, as the Masterpiece line as it currently stands seems to be a nice little earner for them.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Love it. MP-10 does everything better than MP-1!I heard MP-1 collapses under its own weight!

And then 'I don't own one'. Good show guy.

As to the original question, no. I don't think we'll ever see a figure like MP-1 again. Obviously such a love letter (from a time when we wanted weight and die-cast) to us with features leaking from every pore. Piston elbows/knees? Wrist communicators? Moving mouthpiece (with hidden voicebox underneath)? Truck suspension? FOOT SUSPENSION? Light up Matrix?

Does MP-10 do any of that? Oh it doesn't need it? Well neither does MP-1 really, and yet there it is anyway. Oh MP-10 has the better alt mode? Not without a trailer to hide its massive rear it doesn't.

*sigh*

It always bothers me how some people rage om MP-1 because it's not MP-10. MP-10 is good, but it's still far from perfect IMO. Further than MP-1... which y'know is just my opinion.

Oh and I don't think any 3P have scratched the heights of MP-1's gimmicky nature either. Not really.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

I'll take MP10 over MP1 any day. Mine can't be posed dynamically unsupported, the design of the hip joints just won't allow it. It still looks impressive but I'm glad the line went in a different direction.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Short answer: no.
    Long answer: nope.

Pics of MP Hot Rod and Shockwave, ownership of MP Tracks and Ironhide have indefinitely killed any interest I have in the MP line.

I never had any of the issues in my Wal Mart MP01 that people seem to be complaining about.
    Weird.
    I'm usually the guy who gets a number of issues in their figures that other people don't.

• Like Like x 2
  20. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I never had an issue with my walmart mp01 either and regret selling him