will untill all are one be the comic transformers fans have been waiting for?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by StarScheme, Mar 30, 2016.

1. StarScheme

StarScheme Well-Known Member

to me it sounds like the least insane book in the idw transformers line with the hail optimus story arc being the most insane

2. Reask

Reask Predacon

If it's sane, oh no, definitely not the Transformers comic I want to read. XD

3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

No, it won't be.

Two previous miniseries from same autor sold less compared to ExRID and MTME.

Sometimes this was only slightly less, but still.

No reason to expect this one will do any better. Seems like any new TF books have hard time finding place next to two IDW main titles.

It's just overhyped in promotional material, that's it. Which is not unique to this particular book. Pretty much every series introduced by every publisher will be hyped.

Also, "sane" standard run of the mill is not what I want to read.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Is M. Scott still writing?

Then no.

5. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is this a sentence?

6. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What you wrote is a sentence. What you quoted, technically, is not a sentence.

7. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you for answering both interpretations of my question.

Well played.

ce├ži n'est pas une pomme indeed

8. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    If what fans want is "Scott writing an ongoing that won't immediately be consumed by a toy-selling event" then yes!

There's no indication that TAAO will be significantly different from Windblade, other than Windblade v1 being planned as a 4-issue mini and v2 being very consumed by Combiner Wars. This should be Scott getting to write what she wants to, and given a proper ongoing free of oversight (for now, Titans Returns will come in eventually).

I am happy to see Sara Pitre-Durocher as a regular artist though! I prefer her work over Horwell's. (I still miss Sarah Stone though :(  )

9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Sadly, pretty much this. I still plan on reading the series, but I'm going in with moderate-to-low expectations. Regardless of what the story is called, it could be called "One Shall stand, one shall fall." and it would be the same thing: Windblade volume 3. I get what their going for with the title, but my point still stands.

Thinking it over, another thing that bugs me about Windblade is that she reminds me of Lightning from Final Fantasy, who's essentially a gender-swapped Cloud who's a rude, one-dimensional and seething bitch, who's forcibly become the "face" of Final Fantasy and crammed into as many games as they possibly can. Toriyama continues to say that "all fans love her", almost exactly like how they and Scott talk about Windblade.

The only reason Scott is writing for IDW and being praised as heavily as she is because she's a woman, that's the only reason. So much back patting!

The toy-selling events can be a nuisance, but I think they can be done well. On this topic, Windblade and Victorion's inclusion are just that, included in the story to sell their toys and to try and get people to really like these characters. They were the result of these super legit and fair polls, so obviously they must become important to the plot!

Even if, lets say, she writes her ongoing and its complete bottom of the barrel drivel, there will still be people jumping to her defense. Even if its complete trash that gives toilet paper more value, there will be people who will defend her.

Sara and Sarah Stone are great artists, and Sara's artwork is one of the main reasons why I'm still reading ToaO. Corin Howell's artwork was a bit too... simplistic? It looks like she's improved a bit, from the looks of the upcoming Botcon (I think?) Comic, but its nothing spectacular, really. People give Livio so much flack, some of which I think is a bit silly, but go on to praise Corin Howell's artwork? Hmmm.

10. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    It'd be nice if you could actually criticise Scott's writing (of which there are legit criticisms you could bring up) without it actually being a post about your incredibly thinly veiled sexism, Novaburnhilde.

11. Wadeledge

Wadeledge Wrecker

Waiting for? I mean yeah, I've been waiting for it because I thought it was supposed to come out earlier this year but appears to have been pushed back. Either way, I'm going to get and probably enjoy the book. I think exRID is actually on a bit of a roll right now to be honest though.

Well aren't YOU a bright little ray of sunshine? Looking to famous from that FNoTFW Tumblr aren't you?

Part of the point in this being called what it is is because Windblade will only be ONE OF the main characters. They said this book will focus on other colonies and stuff too, which means more of the beastformers, and Elita-1, and Knockout...
    Thinly veiled?

12. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with Gaga here. Attack the work not the person.

Look, Scott's comics, so far, have not been my cup of tea. I gave her a chance with the first mini and wasn't that dissapointed with it (I despised Chromia being the bad guy). I gave her a chance with the second mini and was less than thrilled when it was all said and done. Her work on Combiner wars was abysmal. That one story with the Beast wars characters made me want to slash my comics (It's showing a steady decline in quality).

Look, she's just not that great of a comic writer. Her characters feel flat (she writes a few exceptionally well) her stories are boring and can usually be cut in half and still feel like a barely put together piece. Overall, these faults do not a good comic writer make. She's shown a little promise here and there, but in sum, to me, she's been a pretty big failure. I'm sure there are those out there that would disagree with me, and they're entitled to their opinion, but damn... she just needs write something that doesn't make me want to go outside and cut the blades of grass in my yard. I forgive Roberts when he writes his occasional stinkers (there have been more than a few at this point) so I can still forgive Scott if she kills it with TAAO.

I'm still cautiously optimistic for TAAO, BUT this is it, if this is just more of the same... less than fun that I'm accustomed to with Scott's writing then I'm out. I won't touch anything with her name on it.

13. Wadeledge

Wadeledge Wrecker

See this is an actual criticism, and while I may disagree for the most part, this is how conversations can take place.

14. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

Well, Scott is handling it so I guess the majority's answer is a big and loud: NO!

Scott is someone who showed some promise at first during the first Windblade miniseries due to her natural dialogue, fun characterization and interactions and decent worldbuilding. Even the ending of that story despite of how criticized it was, showed some interesting plot-points that could have been developed in a compelling way.

Aaaaand then the second Windblade series arrived and the problems with Scott's writing started to become quite evident.

The stories lacked substance and the characterization was devoid of complexity. One of the things that hurt this series so much was Scott's underwhelming sense of presentation and none of that was more obvious than during the introduction of the Beast Wars characters. One would have expected such fan-favorites to appear in a more impressive and important way but here we just had: "BAM! They're here!" again, without adding anything particularly deep about their characters and world.

This made me realize that maybe the biggest reason why I liked the first Windblade miniseries was because of Sarah Stone's art. Once that she was gone, you can help but start noting how lacking in personality Scott's writing is. Is quite bland from every angle, characterization, plot and creativity.

One of the biggest offenders was how the Chromia sub-plot was executed. Again, I thought the way how the first series ended was interesting to explore but Scott simply rushed it to the point that is just ridiculous. This was so poorly handled that in fact affects the relationship between Windblade and Chromia that I used to like, it was so poorly handled that it actually hurts Windblade's character due that she now seems like an idiot who simply ignores terrible actions (Seriously, I hope that an actual competent writer explores this in the future).

The worst thing is that I actually like some of Scott's ideas. Windblade's characterization of a naive person who suddenly receives an important role and needs to learn more about the world is a classic archetype that is easy to relate to. The integration of mythos from different series like Beast Wars, Cybertron, Animated and Prime is welcomed. The problem comes with the craft due that Windblade's own progression is mediocre and doesn't show anything surprising about her personality. The introduction of different worlds has no depth at all.

Unless Scott can improve her skill I can't see any reason to be excited about her next work.

15. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I find thr title for this thread really weird. MTMTE is thr TF book I had been waiting for, and it's already here. Tis all good.

As for TAAO I like Scott just fine, so I'm looking forward to it. Especially if it keeps the focus away from Earth. I really liked the setup with the council and the colonies and now that Scott isn't trapped by the 'Windblade' title, I see no reason why she can't produce a decent book.

16. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's what I'm hoping for as well. Windblade, in my view, wasn't that great of a character to begin with. Design by committee usually end up being pretty poor.

I was worried the same thing would happen with Victorion, but the opposite has happened.

Ok... so I am going to write something that might, potentially, be viewed as sexist.

How are Scott's sales? Are they worse than say... Costa's? If they are, I am beginning to ask why she hasn't be shown the door. Now, and please realize I'm not trying to be intentionally bigoted here, could it be that they are reluctant to fire her because she's a woman and they don't want the negative backlash?

Ugh. I hate that I even ask the question because it is sexist, but it's something that has been niggling me for a while.

17. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I don't think comparing Costa and Scott's numbers is the best way to go. Costa, at the time, was writing the only ongoing TF book (not counting the spotlights or LSotW) so of course the numbers are going to be in Costa's favour.

But since you asked, Looking at comichron(which only tracks physical copies) Windblade numbers were fine. Issue one did 10k which is to be expected for a first issue, and then it drops to around 8k-9k mark for the rest of its run. Which, again, is fine. EXRID and MTMTE pull in about the same numbers.

As for Costa it looks like he was doing about 12k. But, again, only ongoing book so not much competition. LSOTW was doing about 8k per issue as a comparison, quality over quantity.

I wish they'd list the digital sales. Is there a reason why they don't? Anyone know?

18. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

Speaking about the topic if Scott was hired because she was a woman, is certainly a possibility but that is not a bad thing. Female creators can bring a different perspective which obviously can be implemented in stories to create more variety in terms of characterization, ideas and overall writing.

The problem would be if the only reason why she stays in IDW is because of the fact that she is a woman. If people defend her just because of her gender (and the same goes for the people who attack her just because of that reason) without considering her work then it would be a disservice for everyone involved. Think about her simply as a writer and don't let your personal biases affect your criticism.

Speaking for myself, I consider her mediocre, nothing more, nothing less. I wish that IDW would hire a better female writer who is interested in Transformers though, I mean they must exist, I doubt that Scott is the only one who is qualified for the job.

19. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well said. I think hiring a more racially/ethnically/gender diverse people is a good thing. HOWEVER, I also think we should make sure they're able to able to write cogent, well thought, creative stories.

I hate to say it, but I worry some of of the people defending her, are only doing so because she's a woman.

Christ that sounds astoundingly bad when I write it like that.

I also agree that it's childish to be critical of her gender. Like you said, ignore that, be critical of her work. Which is what I see most people doing. There are a few on the fringe that are being sexist, but for the most part, people are critical of her work.

I'm sure there are plenty of women out there ready and raring to go; and if not now, there will be soon if the fan demographics keeping going the way they are.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Not really.

Scott is alright with Starscream but the way she fumbles Windblade and Chromia is annoying.

still I'll read it since the Combaticons are getting focus again.