Will Transformers be at war in the future?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TFTheoretician, Jun 29, 2014.

1. TFTheoretician

TFTheoretician Well-Known Member

Something I´ve been thinking about for quite some time is how fiction tend to reflect the times its created in. In the 80s, all Transformers media was centered around the war between Autobots and the Decepticons, be it the comic or the cartoon. However, if we look at IDW´s Robots in Disguise and More than meets the eye, they have moved beyond simple war and the two-dimensional good/evil dichotomy. Megatron is not depicted as simply evil, but morally corrupted because of abuse by his government and later by the arousal of becoming powerful. Further, in the major event that was Dark Cybertron, both Megatron and Shockwave realized they had been doing wrong and changed for the better, a development I find most exciting.

If we study the major themes in RID and MTMTE it´s not war and "good vs evil" anymore, it´s about how to get along peacefully with each other, and exploration (of the universe, one´s origin, the mystery of existence), respectively. MTMTE has a lot in common with Star Trek or the Odyssey for that matter, and at least I find the theme of exploration, along with the exploration of the characters´personalities, more exciting and fulfilling than war, at least war as the main theme.

I just watched this and wondered if IDW´s TF comics perhaps are reflecting this?
    Three big reasons war is going away - Vox

So now for the question, given that the real world will get even more peaceful, will Transformers as a concept become obsolete? That is, is the franchise conceptually at the core still a story about (robotic) soldiers in a war, or has it moved beyond that thanks to IDW? If TF has to be about war, will there always be room for war fiction, even in a peaceful world? If not, will the Transformers live on even when they stop warring?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Conflict has been a part of human history since basically we were tribes of cavepeople. I don't think the idea of war in our fiction will be going away completely, and I even with how the IDW comics are going, I don't think "Autobots vs. Decepticons" as a core concept for the brand will be going anywhere in the immediate future.

3. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Secret war waged in our backyards is the whole premise that made the brand worthwhile to begin with. I don't think it's going anywhere.

4. Priest of Salem

Priest of Salem Well-Known Member

After 30 years of Transformers warring with eachother,I've become pretty bored with it and don't really go out looking for new Transformers fiction anymore.I'd like to see Transformers taken in a different direction but at the end of the day most fans want to see robots beating the crap out of eachother so that's probably how its going to stay.

5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    This, along with the concept of everyday vehicles concealing an alien warrior.

And of course each franchise has its compelling characters that attract people to it as well.

6. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Which is all part of the "in our backyard" concept. The "secret war" angle is what elevates this series above it's advertoonment contemporaries and into the level of pulp-y sci-fi.

While the original 1984 line had an incredible cast of characters each with complex psychologies and understandable motivations, they weren't exactly well represented by the fiction, except for the bios on the backs of toy boxes... Which usually ended up ripped apart and in the trash.

But it succeeded on the strength of the premise.

The truth is the large majority of Transformers fiction just isn't that good. And I think it's the strength of that premise that keeps it from degrading into a He-Man style running joke.

7. TFTheoretician

I think a lot of IDW´s stuff is really good, and it has little to do with the original premises. The very original premise I would say is a (very cool) toy gimmick (transformation) and in the next step, fiction that makes use of this gimmick, story-wise (the secret wars-premise).

IDW´s comics, however, don´t draw too heavily on any of these concepts, at least not RID and MTMTW. Here, it is all about character development, and I´m tempted to even ask the question, will Transformers have to transform in the future? ;) 

8. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Animated took a step back from being about war. Taking place a long time after the great war. Handleing the Decepticons more like criminals than enemy combatents.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    War will ever be a constant in this franchise. As the fanbase grow older the war will develop shades of grey, is Megatron justified in his warmongering etc etc.

But as long as the franchise is aimed at children the conflict will be portrayed as very black and white, Autobots good, Decepticons evil to keep things simple.

10. Magnahide

Magnahide Maximal Commander

The Transformers will always be at war. It's what this whole thing is about. It's also why the movies need to end soon.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    To quote the great Ron Perlman.

"War......War Never Changes."

12. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

The whole Megatron being an Autobot thing is just a phase. No different than Superior Spiderman or Sinestro returning to the Green Lantern Corp, he'll go back to killing humans in no time

13. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

Transformers aren't affected by Societal changing stances on war like GI Joe (remember, every time there's a unpopular conflict, like Vietnam or Iraq, people tire of war toys). GI Joe may bounce back, if they transition out of the current war climate and into maybe Adventure Team......

Transformers will always have some form of conflict, even if the Great War isn't raging on, there would at least be 2 crews fighting (Beast Wars, Animated, where the war was technically over but the conflict begins) and like Star Wars, Transformers is sci fi......

14. TFTheoretician

I beg to differ... Star Wars is a classical fantasy story with wizards in robes, played out in a sci-fi setting... ;) 

15. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

Ok, you got me there

16. Necromancyr

Necromancyr Well-Known Member

I think the difference is between a long story arc and something that's digestible by a younger audience. When I was a kid, having good guys and bad guys fighting each week was fine. It satisfied my need.

As the audience expands and there's a need to tap into both younger and older, I think you'll see both being hit in different media's and formats.

For example, IDW's comics - I recently read through all of RID and MTMTE - from 1 to...now. The writing was sub-par in some places, but the overall story arc I think was great - because it was more complex then just 'Bad guy/good guy'. The shades of grey are what make things interesting as the audience gets older.

Given, I missed some back story, but the potential for the autobots to have been the 'bad guys' at one point and flipped because Megatron went nuts after getting what he wants is just...enticing. It's a good story, it captures you, and keeps you interested.

...that and I'm buying toys of guys I had zero connection to before. :) 

17. TFTheoretician

I hear ya... Nightbeat, Swerve, Brainstorm... I want them all!!! :D