Will Transformers 2 get the Oscar this time?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Roadtrack, May 8, 2009.

1. Roadtrack

Roadtrack Well-Known Member

I was very pissed when TF 1 lost in front of Golden Compass. I'm praying this will not happen again. With so many action and CGI eye candy, I just can't see why ROTF will not win.

2. Soundwaave

Soundwaave Banned

Against Wolverine, Star Trek. Chances seem very thin, But i was watching a review today and this guy said it looks AMAZING (he hasn't seen the movie only really special parts)

But, i don't think itll beat those two.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's impossible to know, we never know who's going to pay the Academy the highest amount of money to win.

4. BDbots72

BDbots72 Well-Known Member

Um generally blockbuster films dont win oscars. And BTW TF is way better then Wolverine and Star Trek.

5. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    Sad to say but no!!!
    it will yet again be another lame movie that came out a month before the oscars or the week before ala STUPIDDOGMILLIONARE

like someone said in another post maybe it will snag somthing for visual effects or sound but doubht it will get the best picture, director etc which does suck!!

BIASED PEOPLE IN HOLLYWOOD

6. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doubtful, due to the Bay stigma.

7. tonks00

tonks00 spec ed

Unfortunately, there is a lot of competition this year as far as SFX goes. You have UP, which is not only CG, but also in 3D, also it is more academy friendly. You have JC Avatar, which is supposed to be a very different use of SFX. Trek, I don't know, I mean the FX look good, but I don't know if it will be a contender, same with Wolverine. But who knows, I mean just the work of Devastator alone will make for good competiton.....

8. NitrogenB

NitrogenB Well-Known Member

I don't know...

I doubt it, but this one does feel a little more, how should I say "put together," than the last one? It seems like a more coherent plot. Granted, I haven't seen ANY of the movie save the trailers; but based on what I've seen and read I think it could give the other films a run for there money. Wolverine, on the other hand, should win ANYTHING. Not. A. Dang. Thing.

*Edit - on a side note, why does your grammer seem like it drops 5 grade levels when you post something on here? Does anyone else experience that, when you're reading over your post(s) and you misspell 50 words....I digress.

*Edit # 2 - I misspelled reading....wow.

*Edit # 3 - For the liove of everything holy, please tell me I didn't misspell the word "misSpell"??!!....ok, I spell checked it...I'm good.:redface2: 

9. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

It's only real competition from what I've seen is Star Trek in terms of CGI.

Wolverine, well, it has been a LOONG time since I was consciously aware of watching a CG image (Mr. Bathroom Scene and Prof. Xavier, say hello).

For special effects, I'm sure ROTF will get a nomination. The big issue with the Oscars is that the film has to have some cinematic value (kinda like how in school, we'll read our Hemmingways, our Thoreaus, and our Austens) while being a good, interesting story for the popcorn flicks to get beyond the technical awards and into the "Best Actor/tress/Picture" categories.

ROTF may have the latter, but Bay's track record says the former ain't happenin'. I think the closest he got to a deep thinker for a movie was with The Island, and even then it was barely there and an already overdone storyline with stuff like The Matrix.

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Terminator will most likely get it, since it's both CGI and practical effects heavy. It will most definately not win Best Picture or something like that, though, and anyone who thinks it should really has a questionable movie taste, the Oscar's reputation not withstanding.

11. tonks00

tonks00 spec ed

I will say Terminator will likely be a contender for cinematography, however, just due to using the silver film thing.

12. NitrogenB

NitrogenB Well-Known Member

...? Enlighten me, please. :inquisiti 

13. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Transformers will never win an Oscar for anything no matter what.
    There's no way the movie big wigs are going to let a "stupid toy/car commercial" get any credit.

14. Huinkimusprime

Huinkimusprime Well-Known Member

While it shouldnt even get nominated for acting/best pictrue...etc I felt they were robbed horribley for the FX Oscar and I expect that it will happen again despite how sharp this one is looking.

15. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

You're aware that that film is a warmed-over version of Parts: the Clonus Horror right? So much so that when I first saw a trailer for The Island I literally thought it was a remake of the earlier film.

MST3K did that one years back. Not deep at all.

- Coeloptera

16. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

HELL YES!!! BEST MOVIE EVER!!!! :drunk 

17. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

so was i!!!

18. Dave_6

Dave_6 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Link to this review?

19. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I was thinking more that The Island tread on The Matrix's feet who (along with an awful lot of other movies/TV shows/books/etc...) tread on Plato's The Republic's feet.

The basic theme of all these movies (including Parts, which I haven't seen/heard of this connection before) is nothing new or special.

20. Liselotte

Liselotte Revenge is coming... TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No because the movie is release during summer. Yes if they release the movie at the end of the year. Cause most movies release near the end of the year always get Oscarsssss