Will there be another G1 reissue?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jasonsmith, Oct 30, 2016.

1. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Looks like it's be 10+ years since Takara/Hasbro did their last G1 reissue. Really liked the book series as those seem to include extra items than the Encore series.

Anyone know if there will be another G1 reissue lot? A lot of those reissues are now hard to find and a lot more expensive than when sold through retailers. Would be great for there to be another reissue release.

2. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    if in 10 years they haven't done one, its improbable that they will do one now

3. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    It really hasn't been that long. In the last couple of years, Hasbro has reissued though their platinum line:
    • G1 Astrotrain/Blitzwing (albeit in very different colors than their G1 release)
    • G1 Blaster/Perceptor
    • G1 Predaking Set
    • G1 Insecticons Set
    • G1 Conehead Seeker set
    • G1 Trypticon
    Transformers: Platinum Edition - Transformers Wiki - That's a list of most, if not all, the Platinum releases that Hasbro has done so far. There are G1 reissues among Classics reissues under the Genrations header.

Some are still available too on Amazon and do go on sale at pretty decent prices at times.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/156-3802926-8589561?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=transformers+platinum

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  4. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

It's entirely collector focused, so there is little reason to do anything but trickle them out rather than a steady stream of re-releases.

5. Jhiaxus

Jhiaxus Liege Centuro

Ebay:
    Yeah for real. I got a marked down Trypticon from Amazon for just $80. Box was a little damaged, but the contents were mint.

6. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    There hasn't been a "new" reissued mold since Fortress Maximus in 2013. The encore line looks very dead.

Hasbro's platinum reissues are just further reissues of stuff Takara put out in the last 15 years, sometimes in accurate colors and sometimes in garish repaints.

Hasbro has never put out a reissue on its own that Takara didn't do first.

7. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Didn't know there were more recent G1 reissues other than Bookstyle and Encore. Other than the few Toys R Us specials. May pick up the Percepter/SoundBlaster G1 reissue.

Main G1 reissue's I've been looking at are Megatron, which is probably Takara only. And the Takara version of Soundwave.

Was thinking of getting the G1 Optimus Prime reissue that has the tampograph shoulder symbols as that's actually an improvement over the original. But I think the Masterpiece MP-10 is the better way to go.

I think there will probably be another wave of G1 reissues at some point since it's been a long time since the last full on wave and the 2nd hand market has mostly dried up. The first G1 reissue wave I think were early 90's, then in 2002.

The Hasbro versions are a lot easier/cheaper to get than Takara. But Hasbro usually makes changes for the worst. i.e. no Megatron, double Soundwave chest, shorter smoke stacks on Prime, etc.

8. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Platinum Trypticon. To my knowledge, Takara has yet to reissue him. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  9. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I'd suggest the success of the Masterpiece line has been the final blow to a reissue line that already had a question mark over it.

Most of the toys are 30 years old , give or take, and they see better ways to make money from the brand.

Heck, even the Masterpiece line is branching away from G1

So who wants to split hairs and say that only happened because of Gigastorm or the rumored Encore Trypticon that kept falling into limbo?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

A dedicated line with unified packaging, like Hasbro's Commemorative Series or Takara's Transformers Collection and Encore, is unlikely at this point. Even if they did, it would just be the same twenty or so releases anyway. I was shocked to see that Fort Max came out in Encore in 2013; doesn't seem like it's been that long. I know there were rumors at the time that Takara would follow up with Scorponok, but Encore is all but dead now. It'd be nice to see some new reissues, but I don't think there's much of a market now. A lot of G1 fans are happy with Generations and Masterpiece, or have gotten their fill with previous reissues, or even the recent KOs

11. jhs8swd

jhs8swd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about the Platinum seekers too? Yes we've seen a reissue Starscream, but never the Coneheads with their variously different moulded wings and stuff...

I'd love to see some of the original unreleased cars - Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Mirage....

12. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seeing that we did get Trypty, we do need him nemesis Metroplex. I don't think there has been a US reissue of him. I will say a G1 Fort Max, forget it.

13. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Metroplex's waist is probably too much of an issue for Hasbro. They don't like to reissue toys with a history of breaking.

14. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

According to TF Wiki, the molds for those three, and some other G1 toys, are either destroyed or lost to time. :( 

Mold - Transformers Wiki

15. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

I have the silver hips/rubber tires version, and he's perfectly fine & sturdy. :cool: 

16. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not true.

17. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Right now they seem too busy 'reimagining' G1 characters in the CHUG line and recreating them in the MP line to bother with reissues. However I'm sure this won't always be the case, I'd be very surprised if we never see another G1 reissue.

18. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I'm still kinda peeved that I couldn't add Amazon Trypticon, TRU Insecticons, TRU Preceptor, reissue Blaster and the Conehead reissue to my wall of goodies. Had to put them in a different section. Gotta love the Encore or similar theme of the reissues.
    IMG_20151003_233613029.jpg
    IMG_20151003_233545263.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  19. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly.. at this point, I'd rather they focus resources on new products rather than reissues. I got Fort Max. I'm pretty happy. Unless they do Scorponok or (gasp) Black Zarak, I'm pretty much set as far as reissues.

I did get my daughter a $48 Amazon warehouse deal on Trypticon last year for Christmas. She loves dinosaurs and loves Trypticon very much. She has the Titan Master Crashbash riding him.

20. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Nice stuff, lots of awesomeness there man! Great looking display. That G1 box art cannot be beat, even to this day.