Will reading all of MTME S2 spoil Ex-RID / Combiner Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Chiller, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    tldr: Will reading MTME 28-55 spoil anything from Ex-RID 28-, Windblade, Punishment or anything else?

I previously read all of IDW up the low 30's in MTME and RID, then stopped (still don't know what's in that damn briefcase). I've decided now is the time to catch up on everything I've missed, starting again from Death Of Optimus Prime. This time, instead of swapping between RID and MTME every 6 issues of so (ie - the usual recommended IDW order) I used the following order:
    *The Death of Optimus Prime
    *MTME #1-22 (plus annual 2012, spotlights Hoist/Trailcutter)
    *RID #1-22 (plus annual 2012, spotlights OP/TC/Megs/Bumble).
    *Dark Cybertron

I found that doing this improved my enjoyment of both RID and MTME as I'm not constantly swapping between a slow moving political thriller and a jokey space romp.
    It didn't really spoil much either. The end of MTME briefly shows Starscream as in charge of Cybertron, but never reveals any details (other than "I'm in charge now") and knowing it adds some excitement when going through the early slow issues of RID. The reveal of the "Senator" wasn't quite as dramatic, as it's a character we've not seen at all when reading only MTME, whereas he sits ominously in the background for most of RID.

Anyway....
    I've now got to the end of Dark Cybertron, and I'm planning of using the following order:
    *MTME #28-55 (plus slot in Drift Empire of Stone whenever appropriate)
    *Windblade Vol 1
    *RID/Ex-RID 28-38 (plus slot in Punishment whenever appropriate)
    *Combiner Wars
    *Remainder of Windblade Vol 2
    *Ex-RID 42-55
    *Titans Return

Will doing the above list spoil anything of consequence? (Please avoid spoiling any specifics for me in any replies too!)

2. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    You'll see a few characters depart the Lost Light in MTMTE to go star in Combiner Wars, but that's not really a spoiler in any real way. Plus a few RID guys show up at the start of MTMTE's season finale in a sort of "elsewhere..." sequence, but again, it's not going to spoil anything specific.

Oh, and for what it's worth, my recommended reading orders would be:

MTMTE:
    MTMTE #28-44
    Drift: Empire of Stone
    MTMTE #45-49
    MTMTE's story in the Holiday Special
    MTMTE #50-55

EVERYTHING ELSE:
    RID #28-32
    Windblade #1-4
    RID/ex-RID #33-38
    Punishment
    Combiner Wars
    ex-RID #42-43
    Combiner Hunters
    ex-RID #44
    Windblade vol. 2 #4-7
    Windblade and ex-RID's stories in the Holiday Special
    Sins of the Wreckers
    ex-RID #45
    Redemption
    ex-RID #46-50
    Till All Are One #1-4
    ex-RID #51-55

The 'everything else' one might seem a little chaotic in the middle, but it's intended to keep character appearances in a sensible order. Ex-RID's arc immediately after Combiner Wars was a deliberate lull, story-wise - with a series of done-in-one stories rather than the typical multi-parters - that allowed characters like Arcee to go star in other books like Combiner Hunters and Sins.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Chiller

News Credits:
    Fantastic! Thanks for that, IDW sure like to make these things convoluted. Also, would have totally missed the holiday special too.

4. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

As bad as transformers reading order is, oh my god, idw tmnt is...

I have no fucking clue.

5. Reask

Reask Predacon

It continues to be even more convoluted, after MTMTE 55 and RID 55 we have the Titans Return event.
    The recommended reading order for Titans Return is: Titans Return one shot, RID 56 and 57, MTMTE 56 and 57.
    But it was released out of order because of delays, MTMTE 56 coming out before RID 56 with the previously description spoiling a major plot point from RID 56, and Revolution 1 came out before RID 57, when it really shouldn't because reading Revolution 1 before RID 57 kind of takes the suspense away from the final RID issue.

6. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    In fairness, you could just do ex-RID #42-45, then Windblade, then Sins, and the experience wouldn't suffer massively for it, but for me at least, I enjoy the matchy-matchy feeling of, for instance, characters parting way with the Wreckers at the end of Sins and then Jetfire being all "about time you got back" when they turn up in ex-RID #45.

I also just realised that I forget Till All Are One's first arc in my list above - updated it.

7. Chiller

News Credits:
    To follow up on this thread, I've now finished working my way through MTME #28-55 + Drift and have just started on RID #28-32.

Can confirm that there are no major spoilers, however MTME #50 starts with a flashover to the current main characters in RID/Windblade, which is slightly spoilery in that it shows who is in command and where - the most major of these is
    Wheeljack
    who was dead last time we saw him.

Going from MTME 55 to RID 28 works better than expected, because RID spends some time with Megatron flashbacks, reminding us that that he is still seen as the bad guy.

Overall - glad I read MTME this way!