Will Hasbro ever take legal action against Third-Party manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by rubadubspawn, Oct 25, 2016.

1. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    I agree. They'll wait for the 10th year anniversary to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can they yes! will they no. A lot of these companys are based out of China so good luck with that. I'm actually surprised Hasbro don't put more pressure on retailers however.

3. Zethrofax

Zethrofax Well-Known Member

I'm not going to bother with the point by point rebuttal. Your responses, regardless of my suppositions, have clearly stated that you believe this is a divisive topic that cause fervent disagreement which can devolve into personal attacks.

And because of this, you think it should not be addressed at all because it has been in the past.

I disagree.

my issue with you and your responses in particular is your repeated usage of "stop" in regard to my opinions. as in "Let me stop you right there." and "Stop trying to think it has anything to do with..." That is telling me my opinion is wrong and should be amended so as to more closely parallel yours or not be shared at all. that is effectively telling me to shut up. Either our opinions are the same(I read that in a newsflash recently) and therefore should be given equal merit here. Or they are not. which is true?

In regards to ignoring what I don't like, I don't need to do that as I choose to opt into discussions, even unpleasant ones, not just closing my mind entirely. my advice is simply for those whom add closed comments to an otherwise open discussion. I personally welcome all opinions and spirited debate.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What would Hasbro do, not sell their transformers to online retailers? Then where would their customers buy their toys, ...at an actual store? :rolleyes: 

Let's be serious most of us get our official toys from those same retailers.

5. Zethrofax

I am surprised too, but the reality is that they could still be easily purchased from retailers there. Half of what I buy is from overseas retailers already.

6. Zethrofax

not that I don't think it would happen, but BBTS for instance would have more to lose than Hasbro if Hasbro placed an embargo on 3P stuff being sold there. It's a case of BBTS needing Hasbro than the other way around. I am curious what would happen if it was to occur that way, but definitely not so curious I want it to happen :) 

7. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Speaking of same old song and dance, is trolling threads all you do? I haven't been here long but this is a good thread to me. Anyways...

I often wonder if hastak may be a parent company to some 3p companies so as to avoid liscencing costs and have more interpretations of a character on their bankroll...

8. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is going to come across as mean, but anywho.......

If you have to ask this question you really should educate yourself on world economics and China. IP theft is part and parcel of doing business there it seems. The Chinese government controls how and who enters the market place. China is a large and growing marketplace that everyone wants a piece of. Why would you want to rock the boat with a lawsuit? Hasbro isn't Disney.

9. Zethrofax

it doesn't come across as mean, just patronizing ;) 

The main argument here is Hasbro threatening legal action to domestic retailers (US UK AU etc.) or simply not allowing them to carry their product if they also sell 3p stuff. It seems fairly unlikely, but it isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility.

10. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Oh. This thread again. Has it been three months already?

• Like Like x 3
  11. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    Because the Great Pumpkin.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:

Because those retailers are in the US, they can do a cease and desist or even stop doing business with them.

Again, if it were to happen, it would already have.

13. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure if you misspoke but your first sentence is saying that it would hurt BBTS more than it would hurt Hasbro if they caved into Hasbro's demands to ditch the 3P. Well yeah, Hasbro gets their cake and eats it to.

14. Zethrofax

I said it in a convoluted way, but yes BBTS needs Hasbro more than Hasbro needs them. If Hasbro were to pull the entirety of their products (not just TFs, but everything) from BBTS, it would hurt BBTS certainly and not effect Hasbro's bottom line much at all. I don't think the 3p makes nearly the profit domestic product does. But I could be wrong and frequently am haha.

15. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I have never seen him troll a single thread, ever.

In fact he'll usually (which he has been) respond quite respectfully and eloquently to anyone - even those he doesn't necessarily agree with.

His original response may have sounded a bit snarky, but it is because we have seen this topic so many times before.

It's just as annoying as people asking to upscale IronFactory figures (IN EVERY SINGLE IF THRED) or people asking, "so any news yet?" when there obviously hasn't been news at all (sometimes for weeks/months but hey, maybe if you ask it'll magically appear).

• Like Like x 2
  16. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

On the other hand, the thread has over 1000 views and 50 replies in about 8 hours time so apparently there's still interest in the topic. Maybe the best solution is the people that are sick to death of the subject just skip over the thread. It's not like it's unclear what it's about... I mean, I'd get the complaint if it were a catch all thread for some unrelated topic you were interested in and had to repeatedly endure this same discussion as a result, but that's not the case here.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  17. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

But if the whole reason to post in a thread is to protest it's creation, it stands to reason that it was in fact being read and responded to for the purpose of taking it off track. That's trolling isn't it? Why not spend time on threads that aren't a rerun so it stays on course for the people who may be new and let it evolve as a topic through the perspectives of different people?

18. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

In all honesty, if Hasbro made things to the same standards of 3p products, it's all it would take to put them all out of business without needing to take legal action at all. But they don't. So that's why I wonder if they have something to do with 3p

19. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I suppose so. I can't really argue this.

I think your definition of "trolling" is wrong is all. Nothing he has ever said constituted as "trolling." Not from anything that I can conjure up over my years on the internet or any definition I can find online.

He is not purposely trying to invite arguement. He is not making fun of anyone, he is not denying anything that is factual to be not factual, etc.

Everything else you say can be true however. It's a discussion board, and people (including myself) just like to chime in once in awhile; even if our replies aren't to everyone's liking I guess.

But fair enough. I won't be responding to or adding any more discussion to this thread unless directly quoted or asked a question. I said my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
  20. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

It's not unprecedented. Harmony Gold famously went after Yamato even after the ads were already in magazines for Macross Plus toys, and everything was pulled. Granted that was a legal rightsholder, but I don't think tfsource or BBTS carried the Makuros, for instance. Big companies also aren't afraid to enforce license laws selectively, like the Bandai Star Wars kits.

They also don't carry straight bootlegs or oversized bootlegs, of transformers or Marvel Legends or anything. So there may be a line that must not be crossed. Back in the day when they didn't initially carry Hegemon I thought maybe Prime and Megs were off limits, but that's obviously not the case now.

I'm also fairly sure they could enforce not selling Takara versions on these stores too, if they wanted.

Edited because I keep on saying Arcadia when I mean Yamato...