Will Gundam steal the shine from transformers in the future?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Salacious monk, May 9, 2019.

1. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

blitzwing dilating eyes was his only really expressive moment in the film, him and optimus having more "robotic" faces and have to rely more on body language to be fair neither have a lot of screen time so we don't know if they'd get something akin to bee with his body language. shatter is a weird case because they do have a fair amount of facial expression but it's semi buried by the amount moving parts particular around the mouth. i agree about dropkick'

on the topic of paramount though we don't know if we'll see the level of expression seen with bee or dropkick in future tf films, it seemed to be something more related to Travis. when it

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Because it was the only time his expression changed.

You're trying to equate lack of varied expressions as an inability to express, which is not true. That's like saying a human face is incapable of showing expression because one dude wears the same face for an entire movie.

• Like Like x 2
  3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Gundam has ALREADY taken everything away from Transformers...in Japan.

It's absolutely the strongest mecha series out there. Series viewership and gunpla sales are goddamn ridiculous, with 500 million kits sold thus far.

Will it translate to success? Doubtful. If anything, it will be like Pacific Rim where it will primarily cater to an audience that is already intimately familiar with it, like me. I'm a **HUGE** Gundam fan...a bigger Gundam fan than a Transformers fan even. I'll go watch Gundam sight unseen since I want to support Gundam, Bandai, and Sunrise with all I got.

I don't think it'll be anything more than just a cult hit for a niche audience. It's what most foreign properties have ended up on the big screen in America.

Actually, Gundam prices in America really aren't too horrible. The Yen to USD prices for them aren't too horrible now that Bandai actually distributes Gunpla in America through Bluefin. Bluefin and Tamashii Nations has been pretty good at bringing this stuff to American audiences through places like Barnes and Noble and Hobbytown USA. Basically you're not too far off from the Yen price. A 1/144th kit might run you 5-10 bucks over the price converted to Yen, and as someone who actively imports a lot of Japanese goods, that's far below the EMS shipping costs. So an HGUC kit at 20 bucks is actually a steal...at least if you're American.

Color separation has gotten stupendous as of late. A HG kit is still gonna need paint to get the full detailing on it, but Master Grades are as good as you're gonna get, especially with recent kits. Likewise with Real Grade, the parts count is getting so high that there's so little of the small details you have to paint if you wanted to go that far.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Actually too awesome to be legal in most states.

[​IMG]

Huh, I guess you're right.

5. DarkRed401

I mean blitzwing is capable of plenty of expression but it's up to the animators and we can only assume about how future films will handle it, I guess my issue is that while the end results are the same, the process of making a cg character express emotion is far different from making an actor express emotion.

For something animated, a face can do literally anything, but does it matter if the animators don't do much with it

6. theswimmer06

theswimmer06 Well-Known Member

Yep, I can totally see the GA mistaking it for Transformers or Pacific Rim.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    No, I don't think it will. Transformers succeeded at least in part because it was already bored pretty deep into the cultural landscape, gundam doesnt really have that in North America (outside of the anime community).

With no slight meant to the gundam universe, there's been tons of fantastic gundam stories and media over the years, but it's never been able to 'click' with a North American mass audience, and I would expect that to continue even after a major Hollywood film. The film could be great, and even if it's not it could raise the profile of gundam stateside, but I don't think it'll turn gundam into a phenomenon like transformers was at its peak (or now for that matter) any more that Pacific Rim did for mecha in general or Godzilla did for kaiju. I think it will remain cult media.

• Like Like x 3
  8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    It doesn't seem like a serious concern at the moment. In the US, Transformers is still a fairly big part of pop culture, whereas Gundam seems like more of a niche interest. The Transformers brand is a household name, but I doubt the majority of the population knows what Gundam is. (Although according to people above, it's more popular in Japan)

That's not to say things couldn't change. If Hollywood made a Gundam movie that was very accessible to the general audience, it could possibly become a bigger deal than Transformers. Still, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

9. Appleseed

Appleseed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on how good is the script and who direct it. Etc like Pacific Rim 2, it was kind awful because of changing to unexperienced Director. If Guilermo direct is will be different.

• Like Like x 1
  10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Gundam is Japanese generally, while Transformers is more a global franchise. The only real rivals for TF IMO are Go-bots, Voltron and Power Rangers.

Power Rangers needs better Zords for its films, Voltron is still in development and I haven't heard anything from Go-Bots.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Gundam is a pretty tough sell. Yes anime fans know it but outside of Japan and anime fans it's not like there is a massive built in audience that will show up just for name recognition.

Plus I don't know if you can really pull Gundam off in the space of a movie. Yea the first thing people remember is the insanely cool looking mech and those insane battles where there are so many missiles fired and guns blazing it's hard to keep up with what is going on. But each Gundam series also builds up a big grand story of a handful of characters so that when a character does die it's a big gut punch. A movie is just too short of a format to do Gundam justice.

Then factor in the bad track record. Hollywood doesn't translate anime over into live action very well. It's how we got things like Ghost in the Shell. But looking at films like Star Blazers it seems like Japan isn't really any better at turning animated series into live action films. Maybe it's like superhero movies and we just have to wait for someone to crack the code but right now I just don't see any live action anime dominating the box office.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Actually too awesome to be legal in most states.

Well, there's always Char's Counterattack which is treated as the equivalent of an entire run of anime episodes.

13. DarkRed401

for me i'll see film as a failure if they don't include gallant char in the soundtrack

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The "feels" I got when Gundam arrived on scene in Ready Player One, are "feels" I've never felt watching any of the Transformers movies, unfortunately, even the last one. I think the Franchise is already thoroughly tarnished in the theatre. With nerd culture as successful as it is, this may be Gundam's time to shine.

I also feel like Sonic closed the door to director reimaginings of existing franchises. The response differences between Sonic and Detective Picachu sent a clear message to producers going forward.

Of course Paramount is one the worse offenders.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Salacious monk

Salacious monk Active Member

I agree. That's why I posted this thread. In my opinion, because of Bay and the shitty designs, the transformers franchise is totally finished. Unless we have a director like Nolan and a total G1 design, it is really difficult for transformers to be revitalised in theatres

Bumblebee is not that good. The facial designs were just awful. In addition, Bumblebee was portrayed as a pet not as a warrior who just lost his memory.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  16. DarkRed401

i mean hes not really meant to be a warrior

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Bee is technically a scout, not a warrior. He's also always been a "Kid Appeal" character, so the personality he had in the film fits. Remember when he was basically Spike's chauffer in G1? The facial designs for Bee and the main Cons are carried over from the old Bayverse.

18. Salacious monk

Salacious monk Active Member

In G1, yes Bee was a scout. But in the Bayverse, Bee became a warrior. The portrait is still in place in the Bumblebee movie. He could easily kill several seekers and yet he is not a warrior? If the transformers franchise wants a second life, any linkage between the new series and the Bayverse should be severed completely once and for all including the ugly facial designs.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

57080016_798891600486239_229140113014128640_n.jpg

20. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be more worried about the future of mech movies in general in this golden age of superhero movies