Will C.H.U.G. be as cherished as G1 in 25 years?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheBigMachine, Jul 14, 2010.

?

In 25 years how will CHUG compare to G1/G2

1. It will be MORE desirable G1/G2 - (More modern, more articulation, more better)

18 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. It will be EQUALLY desirable G1/G2 - (Yeah, they're both awesome. Fo' gettabout it)

48 vote(s)
    38.4%
  3. It will be LESS desireable than G1/G2 - (C'mon are you serious?)

59 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i know i'll cherish my CHUG collection for years to come, along with my g1, and i wasn't even around for the 80's!

2. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

If I am still alive in 25 years, I know I will be clinging to my CHUG figures. I absolutely love the line. Selling off my G1 stuff even as we speak.

3. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

you selling your vintage stuff or the encore? i would never sell my vintage G1 stuff for anything!

4. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Mostly vintage. Some of it is stuff I've picked up as an adult, though.

5. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish it would be more as I have a ton of that line and I might need the money later in life. I doubt it will ever be more.

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No way.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This "CHUG" thing isn't going away any time soon, is it? *sigh*

Anyway, I don't think the Classics-style figures will be as cherished in 25 years because:
    - It's more of a collector-based line and not so much for the kids. G1 is cherished so much because people got into it as kids, grew up with it and it has the nostalgia value. The Classics-style figures are around for kids to pick up, but it's not targeted and focused to them as much as the original G1 line was.
    - They add absolutely nothing new to the franchise. G1 introduced new concepts and characters and built up a whole original world. The Classics-style figures are just regurgitating that with better engineering and adding virtually nothing, other than a few obscure (pre-existing) characters getting toys.
    - On the monetary side of things, the Classics-style figures aren't going to be worth nearly as much, because there are more collectors now. When the G1 stuff first came out, there weren't as many people collecting figures, keeping them MISB and paying close attention to their condition, so the supply of good G1 stuff is more limited. Whereas the Classics-style figures, there are more being kept in better condition, so the long-term price appreciation will be lower.

8. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Masterpieces will be more desired in 25 years than CHUG.

9. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I love "CHUG", i think it's awesome that the lines inadvertently spawned that acronym. I would also love JERK, SPANK, POUND... i don't get all the hate for the word.

"oh noes our beloved TF figs are tainted with a word associated with wild drinking..."

That being said, I think for every line there is a fan group devoted to it. People that remember being 7 and getting their first Beast Machines toy. (My first was G1 Trailbreaker, when *I* was 7).

I acknowledge that G1 started it all....but once CHUG Prowl hit my house, G1 Prowl just didn't do it for me anymore.

And whoever said "it doesn't have die-cast in it"... die-cast is a PROCESS, not the metal included. and quite frankly, i hope metal never comes back into TFs. it was stupid then, it's stupid now. (JMO)

All of my titanium figs, i would love them more if they were 100% plastic.

I voted yes, they will be cherished the same then as the G1s are now.

10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Not if they're called "chug".

11. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I imagine it still being popoular but I don't think it will ever get to the prices of G1 stuff for one reason. When G1 was out we weren't all collectors. We were just kids playing with the toys and so a lot of the stuff didn't survive until today.

With the new stuff, everyone is holding on to everything and in many more cases than with G1 keeping them MISB and such.

Plus with G1 there is the nostalgia factor of having had them as a kid.

12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Sorry, you can't beat the classics. And I don't mean CLASSICS, I mean 80's classics.

13. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    No. Homages of any kind (eg. bands, tv shows, movies, toys) are usually never as highly reguarded as the original.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    chug's better than crack lol, seen any crackheads lately?

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Add me here... "CHUG" sounds ridiculous.

Echoing others thoughts... I think these guys are absolutely terrific, but they've already been forgotten by the target audience. When you consider there was no fiction or character development to accompany them, I don't imagine a huge renaissance for them down the road. They're just a bunch of really great toys.

16. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

The toys could be well desired, but certainly not more-so than G1. They would still be older toys, and the original toys of the franchise. The "Classics" styled line of figures has its place, but G1 is G1.

Plus I think you'll just be losing people on the cool-factor of these toys by continuing to refer to them as "CHUG." I get it, but it's terrible. I don't care if it's not an official term, just call the damn design style of the toys "Classics."

17. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    First, I don't necessarily love "CHUG" as an acronym, but it's effective as a descriptor for the various lines that follow, but are related to, "Classics". It serves the purpose of immediate identification of a particular Transformers style that's spread across various lines. Hopefully the next line after Generations will begins with an 'S', so we can evolve (or devolve) to "CHUGS".

I'd argue that these new figures ARE the renaissance of G1 and they don't need fiction (though I'd argue IDW is putting out fiction now) or further character development since they're meant to be an update of the original G1/G2 line that already had developed the fiction and characters. Though, I imagine you mean a new cartoon for kids today to get into these figures kinda like G1 had.

I'm thinking in 25 years the results will be mixed. I think there will always be G1 figures that will be worth more than their Classics counterpart (especially the more mint they are). But, I do think there will also be a fair amount of Classics figures that will be worth more than the original G1 figures, especially if you factor in Botcon CHUG figures, Gentei and various other exclusives. Also, Classics figures have the added benefit of third-party accessories that drive up the value of the original figure.

I also think the movies and various cartoons are driving renewed interest in Transformers as a whole. I think people who start collecting because of the movies might start off collecting the movie figures, but as they start getting more educated (from fan sites, comics and catching up on the original series) find themselves preferring the Classics figures more. This drives up the demand & cost as the collecting pool grows. Many will perceive G1 figures as being unobtainable or more daunting to collect causing more demand on Classics. Either way, I think demand and price will increase for either G1/G2 figures or CHUG depending on desirability.

18. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I definitely don't see them that way, so I wouldn't choose to argue... we're simply looking at them too differently. As awesome as they are, Classics/Universe aren't the staggering cultural phenomenon we experienced in 1984-85. As such, I imagine the only people that will be into Classics/Universe in 10-15 years are those of us who are into them now... nostalgia-influenced collectors.
    Worth is pretty subjective here, though, isn't it? Heck, there are Armada toys worth more than some G1 toys. :lol  Like with every other line, there will be some that will become rare and others that will sell for pennies.

Classics/Universe mean a lot to those of us in the fanbase... but long-term, I don't see them mattering to those outside the main fandom any more than any other line that's come out in the last fifteen years.

19. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    I agree with that statement, but when I refer to "Renaissance", I'm referring to design/engineering and not marketing. But if you view Transformers as a whole, then it could be said that it IS going through a renaissance because of the movie franchise and to a lesser extent the cartoons and fan fiction. Not to mention fan sites seem to steadily grow in membership.

Yeah, but I'm comparing apples to apples when comparing G1 to Classics. For instance, Gentai Wildrider is probably worth quite a bit more than G1 Wildrider. Imagine if they put out a Classics Twintwist or Topspin. I bet those would be worth more than the original G1 versions.

20. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is G1 Wildrider and Henkei Wildrider apples to apples, though? A mass retail figure (tens or hundreds of thousands) vs. an extremely limited Japanese exclusive? Or if there were a new Twintwist, can you really compare a modern mass retail toy with one of the most hated/ridiculed toys of G1 that can easily be purchased for $1-$4? :lol 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Classics/Universe, and I see your point... but I think your love for them is blinding you to the fact that to most everyone else but us, it's just another filler line.