Will A 3rd Part Company Ever Tackle ALT/BT?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Razerwire, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    With Grind Rod and Aurora, real cars are being used albeit without emblems or whatnot on them. Just in likeness.

Makes me wonder how long until a 3rd party company decides to go into the ALT/BT market.

All I know is if that day ever arrives, I'm going to pee my pants. :D 

2. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

I much as I wish for a BMW M3 or M5 Alternator, I don't think 3rd parties would try them yet. I don't know how they would get past the licensed/"real world" vehicle branding either. That was a major factor of them to me.

3. Razerwire

News Credits:
    But Grind Rod and Aurora don't have licensing and they made it to production. If those two could with more to come from Toyworld, why not ALT/BT?

4. Nemesis251

I'm not talking about the car companies fighting them. The 1/24, dead-on, likeness was the main goal of the line. Many fans and non-TF fans bought them because of that. If a 3rd party did make a Alternator, they would have to go all the way or I believe many wouldn't buy it. The "It sorta looks like a _____" can get a pass with Classics-like figures. With Alternators, they have to be immaculate.

5. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Again, Grind Rod and Aurora are spot on in likeness to the Jeep and Land Rover. All they're missing is the emblems and whatnot. They just need to make it 1:24, have functioning doors/trunk/hood and design the interior.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. Nemesis251

I get it. Those two are the closest to real vehicles we have gotten. I can't think of any others that come close. Functioning doors/trunk/hood and interior are must-haves for a Alt. A Alternator done right would change the game. It doesnt seem like anyone wants to go that route yet. Seems like everybody is focused on combiners unfortunately. Maybe in another year or two I hope.

Also, who would to you think try to make one?

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    It may have to be a new company entirely because the big 3rd party companies are combiner-crazy currently like you mentioned.

I think Toyworld would be ideal at this point. They've shown they can at least get away with the likeness of real licensed cars. They're also relatively new to the scene and could go in a different direction after their Throttlebots line is done.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Honestly I have to wonder if a figure of the size and complexity of the alts/Binaltechs would end up being prohibitively expensive to produce making the price point too high to be workable.

9. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would the car companies be more likely to go after 3P using their cars for unlicensed figures or are we back in grey legal areas?

If 3Ps went in to revive the 1:24 alt mode cars I'd be in heaven :) 

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    To be honest, I don't see any of the current companies pulling off the intricate design work that the Alternators (for the most part) had.

11. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, there are KO Alternators, including ones with some recolors and remolds. I don't suppose those count.

12. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just wondering, has Aurora been released or at least put up for pre-order yet? I saw someone mention it in another thread, but he's still "just for shown" on 3rdpartystore.

13. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Alternators had nice alt modes but most of the robot modes were awful due to the amount of kibble and these days they look a bit pathetic.

I think it would be smarter for the 3rd parties to shadow Takara and fill in whatever gaps emerge in the Masterpiece line as there's going to be several that can't be made officially.

14. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I'm not seeing a lot of possibility for 3rd party alts, honestly.

Third party products spring up because there is a HUGE demand for certain figures in the Classics and Masterpiece lines that HasTak simply isn't producing. Classics has the advantage of a huge buyer base, established aesthetic, massive pool of characters to draw from, and a scale that covers everything from Scouts to massive Supreme-class figures. The line also has a huge number of existing official figures to tie into, either with accessories or interplay.

For the more detailed stuff, Masterpiece covers that quite adeptly, with realistic (If non-real world specific) vehicle modes and detailed robot modes. And there is enough overlap between Classics and Masterpiece that the two lines can blend together in places.

Basically, it would make it really difficult to squeeze Alternators in there. Alternators/Binaltech was a line that just never really did well, for all of it's awesome potential. It doesn't fit with the current Masterpiece aesthetic, or with Classics.

That being said? I would snatch up a 3P Alt in a heartbeat.

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Price point would be a major issue with 3rd party products already being rather expensive. A 3rd party ALT would probably cost around $120ish. Although if they spaced out their releases, I'd still go for that price.

After the combiner craze fades it'll be interesting to see what direction the major 3rd party companies look towards.

16. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Pretty much. Close doesn't interest me. In fact I'm very turned off by the half assed "close" versions of things Hasbro has done in the CHUG line.

I think ROTF Sideways may be the only "close" car I've really been impressed with.

Now if someone went "close" with a HA Dino I'd bite (if it was done well- of course that would pretty much mean MMC), but that's mostly because of interest in the character.

Although, the flip side of that is some 3P companies don't care about licensing anyhow. If they'll steal Hasbro IP (granted IP Hasbro refuses to use) and in some case make blatant KO's (seekers), why would Car company IP be any more of a concern for them?

But again, does anybody besides MMC have the sculpt skills to even render a lifelike car? (might even be a stretch for MMC- but they seem to have the best sculptors out there by far)

17. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Have you not seen Toyworld's Grind Rod and Aurora?

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Roadbots...

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I dunno. I had the Lancer EVO Road Bot and it was pretty bad.

20. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Unlikely. The era of the BT/Alt Line is dead.

The Hummer and Cruze reshells are about as new as you should expect.