Wikipedia F-15 entry/Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Altimus Prime, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Zarscream

Zarscream Well-Known Member

D:

Lies wikipedia is all lies !!!

2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Excellent.

Doesn't naming your wiki after a bad pun suggest the people involved are wiling to have a little fun with their chosen subject?

The Wook is a probably one of the best wikis ever made.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Puns are always a bad idea for long term use. Law of diminishing returns. Yeah, it's funny the first time you hear it, but it becomes less funny each time, until eventually it's just vaguely annoying. I prefer the Trekkies' Memory Alpha. YMMV.

4. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

I think that the the original post definitely gets a "Cool story bro..."

5. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A minor move in the right direction to the F-15 page. The wiki-admins are still wary of mentioning Transformers specifically, but they just added a generic line "The F-15 has also been popular subject as a toy, and a fictional likeness of an aircraft similar to the F-15 has been used in cartoons, books and both animated television series and animated films."

6. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good news folks. We have a comprimise. The main worry of the aircraft buffs was that their aircraft articles would get filled with pop culture trivia,but we felt certain major appearances of jets in fiction (like Starscream as an F-15) were big enough to mention. So we now have a section for appearances in the F-15 page, that links to a second page which lists the F-15 fiction appearances like Starscream. The new page is here:

Aircraft in fiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Thank the maker. We can all sleep soundly in our beds once more. Excuse me, I have to go visit my goddaughter, she hasn't been able to sleep since this affair began.

8. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    The nerd rage can stop now, the world is safe. Please die now Wiki thread, please die.

All kidding aside, I admire your persistance. As unimportant as this is to a majority of us, it meant a lot to you. Glad you got what you fought for.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  9. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cooler heads prevailed this day. Now I just need to start a Wikipedia page on Rumble being the red one, no one should have a problem with that. ;-)

Honestly it wasn't important to me, Altimus Prime started the current debate. I just figured I'd be helpful. I hope this comprise is good enough for him. There is no DIRECT mention of Starscream on the F-15 page, but it now has MEDIA section that links a page that mentions Starscream being an F-15.

We are currently looking at repeating this model with other Transformers and aircraft articles. Maybe having the page on SR-71 Blackbirds link to the page mentioning Jetfire from ROTF. That sorta thing.

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Obviously, this is a goal that is overwhelmingly important for the Transformers WikiProject. Much more important that, say, making nearly every Transformers page on Wikipedia NOT read like a bunch of cut-and-pasted, in-and-out-of-universe messes with no unified style or approach that leap between vague generalizations and precision so asinine that TFWiki wouldn't even bother to cover it. No, I'm sure inserting an utterly pointless trivia note on a page where the vast majority of that page's editors don't want it is *absolutely* the most important thing wiki editors could be putting their efforts into doing.

11. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You as are charming as ever Chris.

12. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    Call's 'em as I see's 'em. You obviously have great drive and enthusiasm for chronicling Transformers on Wikipedia, and I *certainly* applaud that - so why not do something that would actually improve the messy Transformers pages, instead of striving so hard to have z-level trivia droppped into pages that don't need it?

13. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you implying I don't improve the pages every day, removing nonsense, correcting information, and keeping the articles in order, while know-it-all blow-hards make snipes at the pages I'm trying to fix, rather than helping? You know I like writing articles, but all I ever got from the likes of you was rude posts. It wasn't helpful.

As for "trying so hard" to get this done - I started the attempt to get Starscream mentioned in the media section on November 5th 2009 after reading this thread! It is now Novermber 6th. I talked with the guys who maintain the page, and we came to an agreement, and I did it all on work breaks at work from my desktop. One day and a couple posts. Sure the arguement over pop culture in the aircraft articles has been going on for years, but I put in about a day and got a working solution that both sides agreed to. Yeah, it was good work.

So let's recap. Someone post about a problem they are having with Wikipedia on TFW2005. Mathew goes there and comes up with a solution for it. Chris makes snotty comments and snipes at both the people who worked the solution and the wikipedia page. Yep Chris, you are a better man than me.

14. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    I don't mean to demean the mediation you do to articles, but at best, all it seems to accomplish is keep them on an even keel. They never *improve* noticeably. They're wildly overlong, and there's no careful integration of information - sentences are just dropped into pre-existing paragraphs, in many cases copy-pasted across related articles, rather than actually re-written to become part of the distinct article. The best articles are the ones that are just lists, which can't even be effectively illustrated because of the infuriating restrictions Wikipedia placed on images within the last few years.

I *long* since gave up trying to edit Transformers articles on Wikipedia because my own editing style is to thoroughly summarizes huge swathes of fiction, and that's not the preferred style for fiction articles (plus these days you can't put screencaps in without someone screaming about "overuse"), and any attempts I would make at being concise and removing only tangenitally related information from articles that was detailed elsewhere would always be reverted. I was already broken down to the point of giving up on Wikipedia, hence by snarkiness, born of the general seeming pointlessness of trying to do it. What's the point of putting a link in an article about the aircraft when the article it actually leads to is barely readable? Work on the article, get it up to a high level of quality before making a drive to get other articles to link to it.

(And we'll note I'm *hardly* the only person here who's made snarky comments about how insignificant this is.)

15. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Chris, you were just the only one who decided to add personal insults to the snarky comments. Humor I appreciate. Being rude? Not to much. You're acting like that annoying guy who seems to only feel good when he's putting others down. Don't be that guy Chris. We love ya here. You do a lot good stuff too. Don't ruin it.

16. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime *SCREAMS* Super Mod

News Credits:
    Okay guys, knock it off. I've been nice in keeping this thread open this long. This is your only warning before this thread gets closed and warnings/infractions start getting handed out.

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Doesn't this thread qualify as bringing "outside drama" onto this board, which I have previously paid the price for?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  18. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow, me of all people missed the infomation whore shit storm? Damn weekends.

19. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

lol.

Wiki is the last place I would go for 'accurate' information. Anyone can edit it. How can you trust a source like that?

20. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Well, anyone can edit the Transformers Wiki, but I trust most of the stuff I read there because I know most of the people who edit it know their stuff, and I know the admins take good care of random nonsense most of the time.

Plus, obviously, I trust most stuff added by me, because I usually provide sources. ;)