Wii Classic Controller faces US ban

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Boardwise, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Link

Guess Nintendo were to busy playing with their Wii to settle this earlier.

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    That is so very delicious.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i read this earlier, but i don't really understand what its about.

*goes back into hole*

4. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I'm with you pal I can't figure it out myself. So Nintendo is accused of selling controllers based on someone else's designs or something? Or is this just another pathetic attempt to cash in on Wii success? Heck I haven't even got a Wii yet. I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would be faced with something that specifically bans them from selling their own in-house accessories. I mean it's officially sealed with the official Nintendo seal and everything. How does that infringe on anyone else's patents? Nintendo's legal teams probably spent years scouring the patents to make sure they didn't infrige on anybody and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Classic Controller similar to the old SNES controller?

5. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Fixed. ;) 

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Weird, well if they lose alot of virtual console games are going to be useless to people without either controller until a new one is made.

7. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

It's a patent suit. Pretty much a patent squatter with some patent on game controllers or something essential to them, Sony and MS settled pretty quickly but Nintendo held out.

The Patent holder says they can't enter the market because Nintendo has flooded it with their controllers.

8. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Because if someone held the patten to the design, or a part used in the design and Nintendo sold that item, it would be infringing on the original patten.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How the hell can you hold a patten on a controller design. Now, mind you, I can understand why it's important, but i have seen so many PS2-like PC controllers at best buy.

I mean can I draw a random controller design on my ass, patten it, and then if someone comes out with something similar can I sue? This controller, motion, rumble crap is ridiculous. It's not like that developer created the classic controller and then Nintendo literally took it from their warehouse and began selling it. The controller resembles the Snes controller, so if anything, Nintendo is copying themselves, not some cheap ass company no one has ever, nor will ever hear about, aside from this "me too" lawsuit.

10. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, Nintendo will find a way out. Not really sure what's going on here, but it seems like it sucks.

How to Use There, Their and They're - wikiHow ;) 

11. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

By your logic if my father or grandfather had created and designed a console controller as a rectangle with a d-pad a select style button a start style button and the A and B buttons and then patented it I could have sued Nintendo for infringing on my families patent when the original NES came out. It wouldn't matter if my rectangle was three times larger and the buttons were more spaced out or that I had fuzzy pink leprechauns as part of the aesthetic I could still sue Nintendo for something they originally created because my parent/grandparent sat on the patent to a similar design and never bothered to use it.

I call BS on this companies claim. As windcharger pointed out the Classic Controller is basically similar if not identical to the SNES controller and Nintendo brought that out first. Whatever this other company claims they are obviously smoking some high end stuff if they think their little patent counts.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Learn to freaking read. It's not about size or shape, but function and technology.

And where are all the people laughing at MS and Sony when this exact thing happened to them? Hmn? Where for art thou?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  13. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    That's not my logic at all. It's more, company A. pattens the design for say rumble technology. Company B and C use rumble tech in their controllers. After those controllers become successful Company A decides it's cash-in time because they sat on the patten until this happened. Company C caved fairly quickly, company B was trying to delay for as long as could.

haha

I wasn't referring specifically to this case, I just meant that's how the patten can hold. My wording was awkward, it was early in the morning LEAVE ME ALONE!

14. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's one thing that keeps tripping me up.

smart-arse :p 

15. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Patent. It's patent. A Patten is a wooden shoe.

It's funny reading this, because Nintendo has the patent on the cross shaped Dpad. Everyone else has always had to use a rounded one, or like the sony controllers which use the independent button design appearance. An interesting reversal.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That actually makes it all the worst. I'm going to sue every Mexican restaurant in Austin for selling the enchiladas that my great great grandmother invented. They don't look the same but they have the same funtionally. This crap Is the new century's way of becoming wealthy. So start drawing anything you can come up with and paten anything you can think of. This is more fullproof than the lottery. I wasn't laughing at Sony or ms which is why this annoys me so much.

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

If the GC controllers infringed on a patent, then shouldn't they have sued years ago when the GC was still being produced? Fuckers should loose the rights to their IP.

18. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

It is like those assholes who patented 'getting email on a handheld device' and then sued the shit out of blackberry.

If I had a time machine I would go back in time and patent 'Taking a shit by sitting on a bowl-shaped object and removing the waste via water' and then no toilet in existence could exist without paying me. You don;t even have to have a prototype or anything. Just the idea and process.

This is the same bullcrap. I wish someone would take them on and shatter their patent.

19. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Exactly!

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Nintendo is trying to do that. They could have settled, but they chose instead to fight it.

and if nintendo wins, the patent-squatters will have to pay back microsoft and sony.

unfortunately, I dont see any way nintendo can win. but at least they're trying. in the end, they'll end up paying and the controllers will be sold again without issue.