Why

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ogphat, Apr 11, 2007.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Thank you.

2. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

LOL That movie did not bomb because of the way Godzilla looked. It bombed because it was a bad movie ... period. I am not, nor was EVER a Godzilla fan. The "look" of the character never factored into my liking or disliking. I hated the movie because it overall was not a good movie in my eyes. Why people keep saying Godzilla failed because they changed his look drastically I don't get. Maybe people are just grasping at anything they can use as an example

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I am afraid that if I grow up I won't like Transformers anymore.

I think a lot of the problem is that most people wrote this movie in their heads a long time ago. It's impossible to satisfy preconceived notions.

Plus, MAD PROPS to nuopus for pointing out everyone's spelling and grammar errors. :lol 

I think the TriStar version of Godzilla did look fantastic. My problem with it was that the core of the character was changed. Godzilla did not breathe fire and he ran from everything. No matter how goofy the movies became, the Toho Godzilla always breathed fire and he always attacked that which attacked him. Plus, the entire second half of the movie was about scores of stupid Baby Godzillas and if there was a theme in the film about mankind's folly in toying with nature, I didn't see it.

If I seem like I am digressing, I am not. My point is the Godzilla movie did more than just update the character's design. It fundamentally changed the core of the character. That is why it was not a success with the fan base; its success or failure at the box office is argumentative. The movie did not lose money.

The upcoming Transformers movie appears to keep the core of the characters intact. (This is based on previews. I admit I may recant my statements on July 5th, but I doubt it.)
    Sure they look different but we still have giant transforming robots from another planet who inadvertently take their war to our world. That is all it is supposed to be. Everything else is minutia.

Honestly, I did not like the movie designs at first, but they grew on me.
    I still had reservations about some -mostly Starscream.
    However, when I saw the clip with him Transforming and flipping himself over the bridge I got chills.

I am converted.

4. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Ya. I am still a kid at heart.

:lol  Someone several posts back corrected my errors, so I thought I would give back! :lol 

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Hey you typed everything I thought. I just don't have the guts to type it.

6. ogphat

ogphat Active Member

i thought godzilla was ok but then again i was in like 5th grade when it came out but it was a good take on showing how godzilla came to be sounds very reasonable to me just like this movie it to show why they come to earth. and how do we know that they just chaged the design what if they look that way as an upgrade type thing they have done

7. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    You are right they haven't updated it, but they haven't added anything to it either. Not by any stretch of the imagination. They have created a bastardization of the franchise. But who expected anything else from Michael Bay?

But I can forgive just about all the mutilation, because after all they do need to mass market the film. The unrecognizable Insecticon faces that they are all sporting are; at least for me, unforgivable. If ILM is to blame, then fine I have no problem sticking it to them. Who ever is responsible with those ridiculous faces should be ashamed of them self.

8. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

The designs were made by lots of people, including Bays people and people from Hasbro. Ultimately though, the blame falls on Hasbro who approved of the designs. There were SEVERAL designs, including some G1 looking ones. Sure Bay chose some of these designs ... he did not "create" them though. Hasbro is the Trademark holder. The are the ones who have the ULTIMATE say. I just don't understand why people call them "bayformers" ... which is childish BTW. If you are going to place blame, place it where blame should be placed.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I created ALL of the movie designs all of them.

Henceforth, all Transformers movie characters shall be called 'Smasherformers' (TM).

THIS I COMMAND!

10. Boolatron

Boolatron Leader of the Boolacons

I think i heard that in a song once....:sly: 

"Ohhh no, they say he's got to go!....Go Go Godzilla!
    History shows again and again how nature points out the Folly of maaaaan....
    GODZILLA!"

Am I aging myself yet, with the Blue Oyster Cult references?

11. dgblast5

dgblast5 Well-Known Member

I agree.
    It is 2007. The "cheesiness' and ideas in G1 would never be as appealing
    on screen as it was back then. I find the menacing premise of the movie
    much more appealing. In the end, the TF fan community can never outweigh
    the norm, as with any fanatic community. The premise and characters are
    all you need.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I got a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!

13. ogphat

ogphat Active Member

haha i like it nice Cowbell is good