Why you should never expect a good story out of Transformers.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Leather Elbows, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    I have watched all of Animated and Prime. The stories are okay. Transformers are just silly in general which is why it's hard to take them seriously but still I love them so much :D 

2. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just posting to say that i noticed the OP has a pattern in his postings. N that pattern is posting terrible, terrible topics.

3. mrdecepticon

mrdecepticon Decepticon Leader

You are very wrong,Beast Wars,Prime,Animated and IDW all have great story lines.The truth is Bay just wanted to make a big dumb action film and with the popularity of Transformers he knew he would make even more money.Just because the movies have shit story telling doesn't mean the entire franchise is like that.Go watch Prime or Beast Wars,or even look into WFC then come back.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Certainly not going that much deeper into Tranformers than just giant alien robots that turn into things and hit each other will only result in shallow stories. If that's the deepest you can imagine with regards to Transformers then it's no wonder you expect nothing more than that could ever be done with the property.

But since far deeper tales have been told, since the earliest comics and even the cartoon, there's nothing to support a claim that Transformers can never produce a good story.

It's not that Transformers can't ever give us a good story, because it's been done numerous times already, it's just that sometimes whoever is in charge of telling a TF story either also doesn't think it can be deeper than the surface description of the TF premise and so doesn't try, or that their lack of talent is unable to make it happen within their project. And sometimes it's a combination of both those things.

So many times people say Transformers isn't Shakespeare and we should just accept the lower standards of TF when we get them because that's the best the premise can achieve, but actually Shakespeare is pretty ropey too on occasion.

5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Silly topic. Of course Transformers can tell good stories. They've been telling good stories since 1984. That they're based on transforming toys has no bearing on it. Good stories can come from anywhere.

6. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OP Translation: "I have zero taste in fiction, so Michael Bay making shit movies is A-OK!"

QFT.

I miss when the fandom was almost completely populated with people who loved the brand, yet saw its potential. Lately it's been filled with people settling for crap and making excuses for rich people.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Fairies, ghosts, witches that could see the future, a potion that can make you seem dead. Shakespeare was prone to getting into some crazy stuff.

Even real world events can seem like they are based on crazy stuff depending oh what light you cast it in. An angry little German man that looks like Moe Howard from the Three Stooges with Oliver Hardy's mustache raising an army of jackbooted thugs to take over the world. How silly.

8. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    By that logic ,we shouldn't expect a good story in a movie about a guy who dresses up like a bat and fights crime during the night.

And yet we have Begins and The Dark Knight

9. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    1st: i disagree with everything you stated in your first post. however i have nothing to use for elaboration because everything about that has been stated and i agree with the others fully.

2nd: nobody "hates" you, (well not everyone, i mean i can't read people's minds so i wouldn't know for sure who does and doesn't) just what you have stated and you will not get banned for this unless you're doing it to be a dick. trust me, i pissed a lot of people off when i was new. "Love the person, not the sin"

unicron's cybertronian. he can do shit we can't even comprehend (or at least do ourselves). e.g. make his presence unknown by either cloaking himself or jamming our scanners.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Wait, wait, even better a wizard, a dwarf, an elf, a human and a pack of hobbits have to carry a magical ring that turns you invisible to a volcano to defeat the greatest evil their world has even know. No way in hell you'd ever win the Oscars for Best Director, Best Picture, and Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay for childish stuff like that.

No room for silly stuff like magic, orcs, Ringwraiths, giant eagles, or walking talking trees in a story for adults.

11. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    lol I totally forgot about LOTR movies.That's a lot better example,thanks :thumbs2: 

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Okay, so there's this carpenter, right? And he magically walks on water. He magically makes lots of bread and fish out of not much bread and fish. And if you have some water he can magically make it turn to wine. And then he dies but a few days later he's magically alive again.

Nah... nobody would take that stuff seriously.... Harry Potter magic.

13. ArceeMe

ArceeMe =^.^=

I don't agree with you either. Everyone is , though entitled to their own "opinion" but you left out one thing. When it comes down to the Transformers lines and history in general (except in Nippon) Most of the story lines are geared toward the young age group. Yes even the movies that have been released.
    I believe back in the 80's, people began to realize that there were a huge plethora of adults that collected and such the TFs that were out back then and were "Transformer collectors." I believe this leaf up t the cursing in the animated film in 86 and so on. Looking back on not just the TF series, but others as well, like He-Man, J.E.M and the Holograms, C.O.P.S.: Fighting Crime in the Future Time, and even G.I.Joe had adult toned themes snuk in here and there, ( don't even get me started on the Happy feet movies and its innuendo's. lol)just for the fan base that was older and understood the jokes and 1-liners.

I believe it broke up the "I'm an all kiddie show" when a certain series would air on T.V,Subtle hints can be found in movies even today as morals change and such, so I believe you have to keep an open mind about each series/movie that comes out and look how its geared toward each age group, like the Rescue Bot series and Prime, just as an example.

Also, you are correct in a sense though. Some of the episodes from any TF series and movie can, at times be corny and such, but again, you have to see it through your inner child's eyes and go from there. We can also blame Bay and Spielberg about the newer released movies but in reality, like it or not, you DID go to them and it DID make money. They also listened to the fan base to a point.

So we can always complain about how horrid the scripts are but we will still always watch them at some point, corny or not. Its in our fuel injectors sir. Its our oil and blood that keeps us at 10000000% to be TF fans and it can't be stopped. So enjoy it, and stop being Mr.Grumpy gills and let the TF series progress like it should. Honestly if it gets to you THAT bad, start a TF blog or a site and go from there. Just remember though, there are a ton of ppl that will disagree with you just cause we like that forte on what we grew up on and what makes the series run.

Mind you though we all might not agree to this, but just take it constructively. ^_^

14. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Answering the Unicron is the Earth's Core question; yes. Of course. We can just take a bus to drill through a mantle filled with magma and not burn our asses. We don't exactly have a ground bridge to warp to the center of a sentient being - which according to Ratchet, was a hardass thing to do anyway.

Everyone has listed examples of great storytelling. You're just being stubborn now.

15. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

Agree. I have seen many a fan fiction that contradicts the OP's statement. Sure, while the story from official sources has been lacking in the wow department, fanfiction I have seen step up to the plate and make some amazing stories.

The basic story is simple, and not that too far fetched, it follows real world conflicts. As humans, we have always went to far off lands in search of discovery and/or riches to bring back to our home lands. Some moved from their homes to escape tyranny and persecution. And earthlings have always waged wars on either treasures, and/or human rights. Transformers aren't that far off, but instead of going from country to country, they go from planet to planet, and our planet happens to be the primary battleground.

16. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I agree here completely - I know many dismiss fan fiction, but there are pieces out there that can and often do surpass the official material. I've seen that in several fandoms over the years.

17. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think a lot of people are getting “poor story” mixed up with poor execution. ROTF’s story, on the whole, was actually pretty good and could have been turned into a decent sci-fi and fantasy action film. The execution, however, was pretty feeble. DOTM fairs a little better than ROTF, in that the story, once again, was actually quite fun and engaging, full of nice ideas and genuine twists and turns, it just could have been executed a bit more clearly. It was a much more valiant effort than ROTF, though.

But yeah, the OP does come across as quite an ignorant person. The problems with the Transformers films have not been down to “poor stories” and bad plots. It’s just the way they’ve been executed as films (mainly ROTF and, to a lesser extent, DOTM). I'm not including TF1 in that, BTW.

18. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Execution is definitely vital to a story.

You can make an idea/concept jotted down on paper sound great- but if you lack the talent to execute it or make the wrong choices, your end result can be crap. The reverse holds true as well - a person with talent can use their execution and choices and turn a concept/idea that doesn't sound that great into something amazing.

A favorite example of mine for the former is Star Wars: The fall of Anakin Skywalker and the rise of Darth Vader. Sounds full of potential, doesn't it? Look what we got.

19. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I fall asleep watching them except for Prime and Animated. It's always the same characters and almost the same story. Nothing really new. If they came up with totally new main characters with some retro cameos, maybe it wouldn't be that bad. Same goes for Zelda games nowadays except trying to piece the mythical timeline is fun.

20. Guardian_Prime

Guardian_Prime Autobot Leader

Me too Hot Shot

This

A million times this!

And the icinig on the cake.

Seriosuly OP, if you really think all the things you stated in the original post, why the hell are you even on this site? Does making statements like you made brighten your day? Reading posts like this make me less and less excited about being a fan of the franchise, but then I see the posts that I quoted, and realize not everyone thinks about Transformers the way you do.