Why wasn't Bluestreak more popularly used?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by cagey, May 12, 2014.

1. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Anyone care to share his opinions concerning why Bluestreak was seldom seen in the t.v. series, or anywhere much else? I'd like to hear... I think I should pick one up sometime... Is he an underground fan favorite?

2. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

A Confusing Color Scheme.

3. gregles

gregles quintesson

I am not a scholar in G1 history as I bet some people here are but I bet it was comparing unfavourably with prowl which had something to do with it, with bluestreak being used in the cartoon less, in my opinion visually less striking than prowl and also really confusing kids with the lack of blue.

Fear not though he is soon getting some appearances in the IDW's more than meets the eye comics which is wrote by James Roberts, which if you are not already in the know, he has a great track record for turning obscure Z-listers and repaints and turning them into loveable characters. So if all turns out he will become an underground fan favourite any time soon

4. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

He's too Shaggy to be taken seriously.

:p 

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Casey Kasem left the show after he got fed up with how it only treated Middle Eastern characters as incredibly racist stereotypes and never having good role model counterparts to balance that. As a result, all his characters (Bluestreak, Cliffjumper, Teletraan I) conspicuously vanish early on in the overall series and never return.

6. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no they vanished in the 3rd season (Cliffjumper survived the movie though). Casey Kasem was around in the 1st and 2nd season which Bluestreak was a part of. Bluestreak's last appearance, I think, was Trans Europa Express episode. Coincidentally that episode had Turkish* characters but not displayed in a negative light.

*yeah, i know ... Turks are not actually middle easterners.

7. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

I don't know, I feel he was more utilized that most of the original G1 Autobot cast. I believe he had more speaking roles than his fellow Datsun, Prowl, and was seen more often in season 2 as well. He never really had the spotlight, but he was often hanging around making obnoxious wisecracks that only he'd laugh at. Also, it seems to me his MP is the most loved of the Datsun MPs, judging by the reactions on this board.

Supposedly Roberts' originally wanted Bluestreak for the role filled by Swere in MTMTE, but Griffith was a fan and asked that he be in RID. Seems like a real waste as he's barely been used there, if at all (IIRC).

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I don't understand how there's STILL confusion over Bluestreak's name. It has nothing to do with color but how he incessantly talks. As in 'to talk a blue streak.'

Anyway, on topic who knows? Its not like Prowl was constantly featured either. With a cast that big there's bound to be a lot of characters that fell by the wayside.

9. donxavier

donxavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, they didn't use Bluestreak that much becuase of his constant swearing????? :) 

10. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the thoughtful answers and the MTMTE nod, I had forgotten about that and hope I get to see it.

Re: Casey Kasem, here's my old exciting post on that: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-general-discussion/502497-casey-kasem-still-mad.html
    He is not in good health and his estate is creating drama in his family. Prayers/well-wishes.

UPDATE: Kasem is actually in the headlines today, supposedly MISSING. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-investigator-appointed-to-track-down-ailing/

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Don't worry, very soon Bluestreak will become an A-lister in no time.

12. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Box art. That and at the time, most of the promotional material actually featured the blue box art color scheme. If not just the box art itself.

13. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

Poor old G1 Skids is melancholically reading this thread in parts unknown lamenting why it's not about him.

Bluestreak was a bit of an Autobot grunt, it's a shame he didn't get his own spotlight episode but he did get to laugh inappropriately that one time - that probably counts as character building.

14. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Poor Skids! It's ok! There, there, buddy! I don't know why you don't command a higher price on the market either :(  Tracks, Skids, all the Johnnys Come Lately that pretend like they're the originals, and get no love...

15. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

Skids did get his full body wax from Charleene in the comics though - poor old Bluestreak must have failed his audition.

In fact I can't remember Bluestreak even doing much in the comic. He shot down a Thundercracker clone that one time and fought Decepticon Jetfire, and, erm, that's all I remember.

16. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Tracks actually got a decent amount of screen-time. Heck, he even got two episodes where he was in the spotlight :p 

17. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was hoping someone would mention that.

Blame it on the lack of vocabulary among 21st-century anglophones.

18. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think most people like him. But he's no ones favorite.

He's got a very boring color pattern compared to prowl or smokescreen.
    His name Blue-Streak is an old cop term; Which could have been played out to make him an autobot officer or robot detective. But sadly he's bios through the years have had him as an ex-merchant or normally solider, and he don't like the cons to much. Not to say there nothing there, but more intereting stuff can be found.

I'm sure something interesting could easily be done with him to make him a fan fav for years to come. But when it comes to story writing or design, people always pick someone slightly more appealing. Poor BlueStreak...i mean Silverstreak....

19. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From the Oxford English Dictionary:

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

They didn't want kids to confuse him with Prowl on the tv show