Why this may easily be the best Transformers movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BeePrime_WFCTX_106023, Nov 26, 2016.

1. BeePrime_WFCTX_106023

BeePrime_WFCTX_106023 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe this movie could easily be the best Transformers movie, not just in my eyes but in the majority's eyes, for several reasons that I will thoroughly explain.

First off, but in the very least, the writer's room and the new writers. The writer's room constructed stories up to 2020 I believe, and researching about the writer's room I've found that it has been said many times that everyone involved was very enthusiastic about the process. It's obvious that if people do not care about the work they are doing and don't input effort or have a care for it then the work will not turn out great. Look at movies such as Fantastic Four (2015), a movie that many disliked. It has been said that there were problems on the set, between the director Josh Trank, the actors, and the studio.
    Josh Trank's original script version that ran about 2 hours and 20 minutes with fully fleshed out the characters and events, yet, the studio did not respect Trank and acknowledge his version.

Let's look at TF2; during ROTF filming there was a writer's strike. That film was in production with an unfinished script. It is the most hated TF film by many (me excluded).
    The writer's room is the opposite of the development of TF2.
    The writers crafted a thorough draft and overarching story. Even many of the writers are from TV who obviously have experience writing overarching storylines for series' episodes.
    There obviously has been great effort and emotion brought forth by the writers in the writer's room in constructing this film and future films.
    Next we have the writers of Iron Man and Black Hawk Down as opposed to Ehren Kruger who has written a library of low-rated films.

Next, Hasbro has greater creative control. In a magazine releases earlier this year (or I think it may have been last year) it was said that Hasbro has greater creative control over the movies. This is a good thing. First off, it's obvious that they hear us (the fans). In TF4, they changed so much quality wise based on what we have complained about. They implemented more robot time, greater robot characterization, significantly less crude humor, zero sexualization of female characters, and a tighter story. Given the recent announcement by MB about the TLK teaser, it's even more obvious that they listen to us fans and are aware of what we want. They wouldn't have made that announcement had people not been complaining across the world wide web.

Third, the cast. There are not any void characters like Tessa, Shane, Mikaela, etc. which is a good thing. Let's look at the entire human cast of actors:
    Mark Wahlberg
    Josh Duhamel
    Anthony Hopkins
    Isaebla Moner
    Jerod Carmichael
    Laura Haddock
    Stanley Tucci
    John Tuturro
    Tyrese Gibson

Even if the human characters take up a decent amount of time, the entire cast consists of quality actors and, based on recurring characters, quality characters.

Four, in the video of Michael Bay live from the set (when he mentioned John Tuturro), he said he was very excited for us to see the movie. If Michael Bay is enjoying it, that is a good thing. Paramount and Hasbro have given him freedom to work on the film the way he wants to, and if he is enjoying the film and is excited for it then that means production is going well. Look at movies such as Batmam v Superman, Suicide Squad, Fantastic Four, The Amazing Spider-Man 2; the studios intervened with the directors' work. It's even obvious in the final edited versions of each of those films. Paramount and Hasbro, regardless of backlash, continue to allow Michael Bay to return to the director's chair, and it's obviously for a specific reason (not money bevause at this point any movie with the name Transformers would gross significantly). They respect him and allow him to have freedom. As opposed to when he didn't like Transformers that much 2007 (I believe), he is now really proud of the movie he's making. He's obviously trying to enforce quality work, and is pleased with Transformers fiction.

In my opinion these elements should easily cook up a very coherent and well-produced feature. Each one of them is important. Furthermore, this time around there is a greater focus on quality than with TF1-4. That alone heightens the chance that this film will be great.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I hope and agree with you mostly, I do have my trepidations, of course.

And - you can't deny here - you aren't gonna have everyone in this thread agree with you.

But that's okay. Discussion creates conversation. Conversation attracts attention. Attention brings recognition. Recognition brings honours. Honours bring success. And etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BeePrime_WFCTX_106023

News Credits:
    Yes I am aware of that which is why I wrote it. To voice my ideas (because I have a right to) and discuss with those who agree and disagree with me. Since you disagree with me, would you care to elaborate, cause what you bring to the table could change my mind about the film.

You don't even mention your trepidations but instead result to jumping to a completely inaccurate conclusion as to why I wrote this thread getting it all wrong, obviously ill-intended.

4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I've never been anything less than THOROUGHLY entertained by these movies, so NO WORRIES here!

TF:TLK looks to be no exception, I'm already loving everything about it so far.

Bring it on!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

There are reasons to be optimist as you have listed. Perhaps other reasons to look on the bright side will be listed as this thread goes on.

But I still have too many reasons to be pessimistic.

It's still Paramount and it just feels like Paramount has lost an understanding of just what people want. Star Trek didn't do what they wanted at the box office, Turtles was a box office disappointment and Ben-Hur was a box office bomb. Currently on the yearly domestic chart Star Trek is 11th place, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out of the Shadows is 30th, and 10 Cloverfield Lane is 36th place. With some other big films yet to hit Paramount might not even crack the top 15 when the box office year is over. Not exactly a studio that seems to understand what people want out of a movie.

It's got some new actors and new writers but it's also still way too much of the old production team at the top where the finial decisions are made. Just hard to think that the director, producers, and studio executives can swallow their pride enough to say every thing we have done wasn't gold and we need more than window dressing change.

While I do love some of the toys that Hasbro has put out I just don't have all that much faith in Hasbro when it comes to entertainment. We went from Transformers Prime for all ages to Transformers Robot in Disguise only for kids. Combiner Wars was just so bad you had to wonder just what Hasbro was thinking when they gave that a green light. Allspark Studios attempt with a live action Jem and the Hologram doesn't exactly fill me with faith about Hasbro as live entertainment company.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Especially considering all the shit-talking it received, I've actually been pretty happy with what I've seen of Jem and the Holograms so far on TV. I'm buying the Blu-Ray later today! Star Trek Beyond, TMNT: Out of the Shadows, and 10 Cloverfield Lane were all great, too...but we already know Paramount killed your puppy and made you eat it or w/e so it's no surprise you still have it out for them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see where OP is going with this but I'm not sure....

Alright I'm gonna flashback in time before Star Wars: The Phantom Menace....

"OMG, a new Star Wars movie is happening and it is gonna be the movie about Anakin's path to the dark side... George Lucas is back and I can't wait. The cast is looking pretty neato as well. Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor as young Obi-Wan, Samuel L. Jackson and so on.... They even have the original actors for the Emperor, R2-D2 and C-3PO returning.... John Williams is also back and I'm just too overwhelmed!"

And there you go... George Lucas wrote Star Wars, a movie that has inspired us for so many generations yet he made the Phantom Menace which save for a couple of elements such as *cough* Darth Maul was a disappointment. And that movie was not really studio-intervened. The critics for TLK I imagine are still gonna be the same with them writing the movie off as "loud and stupid" though I hope it's at least better than what AOE received.

EDIT: Even though AOE made some significant changes for the better that did not stop the crowd by proclaiming the movie as the worst. I just hope the movie is not overlong and implements better visual effects.

You might want to consider the latest Ouija board movie. :p 

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    If you like a movie then you like it. Who cares what the critics or anyone else thinks?

Reasons I'm excited for TF:TLK

Transformers
    Directed by Michael Bay
    Developing the Knighthood Theme for the 3rd Movie in a Row
    Exploring the Origin of the Transformers
    Potentially Evil Optimus
    Sqweeks! Isabella! Hopkins!
    The Return of Lennox & Epps
    Seymour Simmons & Joshua Joyce
    Medieval & WWII Settings & Elements
    Cool Cars & Hot Chicks
    New & Returning Transformers
    Especially Barricade!
    TRF & Military Cooperation
    The Writers of Iron Man & Black Hawk Down
    The Cinematographer of John Wick
    Score by Steve Jablonsky

The list goes on and on! And did I mention MICHAEL. FUCKING. BAY?

I just wanna make sure I'm 100% clear on that point.

\m/

• Like Like x 2
  9. electronic456

News Credits:
    It would mean I have to put the movie in the guilty pleasure list.

First reason is kind of a red flag..... I'm not a hater of Bay hell the first Transformers is what got me talking about movies. I like his movies such as The Rock, Pain & Gain and 13 Hours in which he seems passionate about.

Exploring the Transformers origins is something I'm nervous about due to the movies being really all over the place with the timeline. We have the Allspark, The Creators and the Matrix of Leadership to consider all in mind. Exploring the Knighthood theme makes me nervous too because I don't want them to throw away the established ideas of Primes or Seekers in the movieverse.

The writers also make me ponder because you can have a great movie on your belt and then have a not so good movie with you. The cinematographer I guess I don't care all too much.

The only reasons I think I can emphasis with are Lennox and Epps plus Steve Jablonsky. Barricade being back is also cool even though how that happens is all up to us to question. One last thing.... Hazekiah, you make a lot of great posts on why you love the movies and those words can spread about like wildfire to people who dislike the movies. They can really shut down some people.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

While I do not know how the finished film will turn out yet, I am excited for several reasons.

1. The surviving Transformers from AOE are returning, including the best team of Autobots that have graced the movies so far. I am really happy about the return of the Pathetic Dirty Foursome.

2. Megatron's and Barricade's new designs...holy crap! I can't wait to see both of them onscreen.

3. Exploring the Knights further. Also, it's great seeing a theory of mine from a few years ago not only be possible but likely: Theory Time...Megatron is a Knight?

4. My first G1 episode was "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court." I love it when Transformers is not restricted just late 20th Century and 21st Century humans caught in a war between Autobots and Decepticons. I love it when shit like wizards and knights and dragons and Nazis and dinosaurs are in Transformers fiction. More please!

5. Having the Creators explored further!

6. I love Joyce, Simmons, and Cade, so I am happy about three of my favorite humans returning.

7. Sqweeks and Isabella could have a relationship that is unique from all other Cybertronian-Earthling relationships seen so far in the films given Isabella's orphan status. Also, Sqweeks is adorable!

8. Last but certainly not least, I really think Barricade, Onslaught, the rusty VW, and the bike Decepticon have a chance to have an interesting group dynamic along with Megatron just like the AOE Autobots were a very fun and interesting group. I hope they are the Decepticon Pathetic Dirty Foursome, and Megatron makes five!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually feel the opposite.

I'm not crazy about the premise for the movie. It seems somewhat bloated with stuff like Nazis making an appearance. It'll probably be over 2 hr 40 min. The military is back in full force to take up screentime from the bots. I'm just not seeing anything to make me feel that this will be the best TF movie. The most positive I felt going into a TF movie was probably DOTM.

I don't just care how the movie satisfies me. If TLK gets another critical whomping then it will spell doom for future performance of the TCU.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I will admit that this is one of my concerns. While I do not dislike them, I am not nearly as much into Lennox and Epps as some fans are. They're okay, but far from my favorites, although it also depends on which film we're talking about. I'd say I prefer Lennox in TF1 and Epps in ROTF and DOTM. I just hope they are not used at the expense of the Transformers.

Still, in all likelihood I will enjoy the film.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BeePrime_WFCTX_106023

News Credits:
    I agree with that. That's actually one drawback of mine. I liked AOE a lot because it didn't have the military in it to take away the spotlight during the action scenes. I do like Lennox and Epps, but I prefer the going rogue concept that stuck with the Autobots throughout AOE. With the military working with them it kills that, and IMO doesn't allow the good guys to be the underdogs. They don't always have to be underdogs, but it is something I prefer over overpowered protagonists.

I see what you mean when you say there is a lot of stuff going on. It depends on how it is all handled. Say for instance, the BvS extended edition has a lot of material, but fleshs things out so much better than its theatrical version. It doesn't feel like a bloated film because every minute is being used meaningfully. AOE, while long, had filler action at the end which made it more bloated. If things are handled better with the extra plot material shouldn't be an issue.

14. BeePrime_WFCTX_106023

News Credits:
    The thing is Ash what does this have to do with Transformers? TMNT and Star Trek are dwarfs compared to Transformers. Paramount's other productions don't have anything to do with TLK's success. The construction of the writers room and extended TCU shows that the producers who oversee the films are going to great lengths to make quality films. Hasbro has even changed their tagline for the films to "telling great stories"...they care. I just don't see how the BO numbers of films with lesser audience and fanbases are relevant to the quality of the TF films. If anything, like others have said on TFW, it would mean that Paramount is going to great lengths to ensure that the TF films, their major franchise, don't continue in the route of their other films, and hire greater writers to construct quality films...which is exactly what they're doing.

You gotta come up with a better reason than that man, for real.
    Firstly, I'm not talking about the critics. They'll walk into the movie with their low-rated reviews having already been written. Seriously, read some of the reviews and the first thing they mention is Michael Bay. They hear his name and they think "okay well this is automatically a B movie", which is sad and they're not giving his films or the TF films proper chances.
    Secondly, you forgot to acknowledge the writers room. You also forgot to properly dispute the examples I brought up of the film's probable production status in comparison to BvS, TASM2, FF, SS, etc. yet simply result to guessing that Star Wars did not have studio intervention (and studio intervention is a major deal). Give me a better example cause Phantom Menace isn't a good one. Was it made when the studio experienced a decline in domestic BO numbers? Did the studio of the source material take greater creative control? Was a team of quality writers formed to tend to the storyline of the future films which is something the previous movies had trouble with? These are elements that have motivated Paramount and Hasbro to produce better movies.

15. BeePrime_WFCTX_106023

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say that. If the movie grosses more than $1 billion, they would keep going. Now when I say that I'm not saying money is the entire motivation. The gross revenue determines whether there are people still into the franchise. Based on social media, there are still plenty of people who like these movies. So regardless of what critics say, if the fanbase continues to approve, then the films will be made. With that said, it's obvous they're still trying to make quality films. Yet, Bay and co are also still aware that there are critics who will eat the films alive simply for being a Michael Bay film. So critical acclaim is not the basis for approval on whether to continue the films or not. It is a mixture of several things, as I've just explained.

16. electronic456

News Credits:
    I'll say this.... There are indeed really close-minded people when it comes to Michael Bay. I even find some of the hate on the nose absurd. Even his worst movie has better production values than some other movies out there. It's also pretty sad to know that if you happen to like Michael Bay then you are part of the 'lowest common denominator' which is frankly insulting. By that logic, people like Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Christopher Nolan are stupid for saying nice things for Bay.

The writers room might be a chance to make sense of things and expand the TF universe scope on a more epic scale which is something. Compared to other cinematic universes, yeah I guess we haven't heard any nonsense so far in the TF ground. Hiring writers with good movies in their background could be a sign that the studios trust them to give the audience something unique even if the criticism is still there.

I also used Phantom Menace as an example in regards to writers. Which is why I have said just because George Lucas gave us one of the greatest movies of all time does not guarantee he did the same for Phantom Menace years later. I just don't want to get too excited by the credentials the writers have.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Agree on 2, 3, 5 & 8.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

YouTube (Legacy):
    I hope the film will continue the improvements that were made in AOE and be a good film, but I'm not sure if the film will get great reviews.

Lots of people tend to jump onto the hate bandwagon mentality Micheal Bay has gotten. Always yelling at his mistakes but never acknowledging what he did good.

With how much hate he receives, it's understandable why he snapped before the release of AOE with his statement "Complain all you want, in the end you'll all still end up seeing the film!" (I don't know how accurate that statement is though, I heard Doug Walker aka Nostalgia Critic claim that Bay said that in his honest review of Ninja Turtles.)

At first I was angry that he made such a statement but overtime I've come to realize that it was only one he made out of frustration from the constant hate. Doesn't make it right that he said such a thing but it does make it understandable.

I'm not quite sure what it would take for one of his films to get a good review since pretty much thanks to the hate bandwagon, if he has his name on the film, it's automatically bad.

Though don't get me wrong, there are people who dislike the films that have brought up valid points. So not all people who dislike the films are part of the hate bandwagon, just making that clear.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Appleseed

Appleseed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. Changing of Ehren Kruger to Iron Man and Black Hawk Down Writer
    2. Directed by Michael Bay
    3. Barricade new robots mode and additional of new Decepticons such as Onslaught and possibly the Apache Helicopter(I like heavy duty vehicles)
    4. Hot Rod appearing
    5. Autobots vs Real Decepticons-will have a tough fight like in TF1 (Protoform Decepticons and Ksi are no more in this movie!)
    6. Returning of Josh Duhamel.
    7. The possibility of introducing Giant Decepticon or Combiner
    8. Jonathan Sela as Cinematographer
    9. Many car chases robots transform action battle in highway and city (which i like the most when a vehicle is transform in a high speed chase and do battle), will be the best in Michael Bay Version because he knows the action angle to makes more reality and exciting!

• Like Like x 1
  20. PeterMagnus

PeterMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I have confidence