Why the ROTF game is so awesome!

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by TheWarPathGuy, Mar 30, 2021.

1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy "I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you?"

The 2007 Transformers game did put the series back into the mainstream. Both in movies and with video games. The 2007 game developed by Travelers Tales was pretty average. My praise goes towards the large open world, graphics and destruction. But, the physics, obnoxious enemies, and clunky controls make it one of the worst experiences ever.

The ROTF game fixed all this. Let me list why it was so awesome.

To start, the controls are amazing. The Transformers in the 2007 game felt so slow and awkward to control. In ROTF, the Transformers are much more faster and agile. They can transform instantly and you can jump out of the transformation to keep a fast pace. A problem I have with other TF games is that I feel that Transforming from robot to alt mode shouldn't put you at a disadvantage or break up the gameplay, this game fixes that.

The multiplayer had to be fun back in 2009 when it was originally released, I still get a kick out of it now. Sadly the servers are gone, but it was a good time nonetheless.

Other things... the DLC is nice. You get alternative G1 skins for characters like Optimus, Megatron, Starscream and hell even Sunstorm is in the game. Jazz, Soundwave, Sideswipe and Jetfire are also playable with DLC. You can also unlock G1 episodes. I get the feeling the people developing this game either really liked Transformers or did their homework.

This game has tons of replay value. From trying out all the characters, the multiplayer and trying to 100% the damn thing.

It's so sad the developer Luxoflux went out of business in 2010, because if this game caught on and sold better, we could seen more games like ROTF. Looking at their catalog, they didn't make the best games,, but they had talent. Well it's owned by Activision, and Activision is the devil next to EA.

This game is a hidden gem within movie tie-in games, and I wish it was talked about more. Spread awareness of this game, it isn't perfect, but to me, this is what a TF game should be.

If I could make a video game, it'd be like this. An fast third person shooter, where moves are seamless.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  3. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

News Credits:
    upload_2021-3-30_18-53-32.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  4. Magnus Leader

Magnus Leader Young Optimus Prime is the Best Optimus Prime.

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Totally agree.

The only thing I'd change is having to hold down the right trigger to stay transformed in vehicle mode, which is annoying when the trigger is also treated as the throttle, but the developers were really onto something with the mechanics of this game.

In fact, I prefer this game's mechanics over WFC and FOC.
    (Just the mechanics, not necessarily the story or the rest of the gameplay, but the shooting and the transforming and the combat was so slick in ROTF.)

Oh, and I'd also tweak the vehicle controls for firing and drifting/banking/hovering in vehicle mode.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    besides the Transform button, yes

• Like Like x 2
  6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ジェノサイダー

News Credits:
    The ROTF game was awesome and I got a lot of mileage out of it, even morseo once that DLC pack came out. The Multiplayer was also simple but very addicting, I was one of the numpty's that pre-ordered it and got the dinky keychain that had codes for gold Prime and Megatron.

I'd very much like to play it again, alongside WFC and FOC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  7. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Once slapped a goose

News Credits:
    This game is definitely up there, especially for the time it came out.

Some of my best memories on the TFW2005 forums came from this game. When it came out, a bunch of us would jump on Xbox 360 and play multiplayer together for hours. I'm a fan of co-op campaign, so WFC has that edge on ROTF multiplayer for me... but let's be real, ROTF was just damn fun.

• Like Like x 3
  8. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

The only flaw of the ROTF game is some of the effects added to some of the 'cons. They all deliver great performances, but the effects on Megatron and Long Haul are kinda distracting, and I'm not really keen on Screamer's pitched down voice (they should have kept it as is).

However, I do love the game. It's tons of fun and it's the one game I return to the most due to its selection of characters. I mostly tend to play as Starscream (of course, especially if it is the G1 skin 'cuz lines without pitching) on the Decepticon side and Breakaway, Jazz, Sideswipe or Ratchet in the 'bot campaign.

• Like Like x 2
  9. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

It was probably my fav Transformers game.

I dug the holding down of the trigger for alt mode plus the spring into a close combat attack for the various characters and their type, or being able to hover with the flyers in robotmode. Single player was excellent, had good replayability for the various bite sized missions and being able to choose your character. The enemy types and designs were especially good and I'm sad we never got many of them as toys.

Multiplayer was a blast too, hit and run was the name of the game. A special shout out to Protectobot scout and Seeker (aka Skywarp) being my go to, not the strongest but with their abilities (flashbangs for the scout and the teleport for the seeker) they could really confuse and take the opponent off guard.

One negative that comes to mind is Jazz's boomerang things, way too good.

• Like Like x 4
  10. TheUltimateBum

Honestly, that's one of the many reasons why I used him (again, I'm one of those people that would play any video game in baby mode and still lose :lol ).

Still, yeah, I think that's why I liked the game, 'cuz you had variety.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SethBrundle81

SethBrundle81 Banned

A rare game based on a movie that is better than the movie

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheUltimateBum

I must admit, I actually like all the TF movie tie-in games better than the movies themselves (yes, even ROTDS, since I think despite some stuff that needed work, I still was invested in the story).

13. HuffR_WFCTX_91135

HuffR_WFCTX_91135 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved using Seeker's teleport to be a cheeky sod and jump over the online level barriers to mess with people, I wouldn't cheat though and get cheap kills, instead I would jump out randomly from behind buildings like whack-a-mole, maybe fire a missile off to say hello :p  I tell ya though, some of them Sideways/Breakaway snipers were damn good shots!

Of course that was just when I was feeling mischievous, in a normal match I liked playing as Long Haul and burning people to death, or as Grindor and his array of options for destruction, I can still remember the sound of his machine gun. Favorite map was probably that one with the highway in the middle, I'd climb to top of the big building as a sort of macho gesture (to quote OP in AOE: HERE I AM!) and let people come to me, had to keep on my toes up there too and keep moving about, them snipers man.

Anyone remember that thing people would do with the flying Megatron's and g1 Starscream, where they'd fly really high up, let go of the transform trigger, and activate their insta kill special as they fell to earth and just smash down on you like a orbital strike? :confused:  Was fun though letting them think they had you, and then activating Optimus Prime's plot armor special.

What a fantastic game, it's a massive shame we'll probably never see anything like it again, I remember when I was younger, I wished the game had more DLC with more characters (Barricade and Bonecrusher were my big wants) and more locations from the films, when it became obvious that wasn't going to happen, I then started wishing I was smart enough to know how to mod it or someone else to try, sometimes I still long for it, maybe someday. Anyway thanks for reading my novel, it was fun to reminisce.

• Like Like x 4