Why The Last Knight bombed

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Nathanoraptor, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    How dare you insult Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. That shit was genius.

Except I told you in another thread that The Ring was a remake of a 90s film adaptation of a Japanese horror legend so it wasnt wholly an original plot, while the version of the Brothers Grimm that was used for filming was a heavily rewritten copy and Kruger stopped being involved after he sold the original script to the studio - he only got sole writing credit due to some Screenwriter Guild legal shenanigans.

Both of your favored examples involve Kruger NOT having true original control over the plot, so the quality of those films are not wholly attributable to him so far as the writing is concerned

2. Annino

Annino Well-Known Member

:lolol Didn’t need to read the rest of it, just like didn’t need to watch the rest of the movie.

3. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since when does a plot have to be original in order to be good?

Star Wars borrowed elements from the Hidden Fortress and that must make it unoriginal.

4. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    LOL have you even seen Hidden Fortress? I have and its basically if CP30 and R2D2 were the main characters and were also greedy bastards willing to sell out Leia (and at times each other) at every opportunity they got, while Darth Vader, Luke, and the Death Star do not exist. Hidden Fortress inspired the films but simply having a princess and two wanderers isnt the same as a wholesale rewrite of an existing film.

Plus, in terms of actual plot, Episode 1 is closer to Hidden Fortress than Episode 4.

5. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There will only be one.

AOE was universally panned. That's not really a contested fact.

The writer for AOE was obviously called back from DOTM because of his competence, but studio interference is what makes them objectively not very good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. electronic456

News Credits:
    But how exactly does that make a film bad?

7. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I never said that. My point is that the only examples of Kruger having written good films being presented are when he basically adapted a pre-existing film plot wholesale and then a film where his original script was heavily rewritten by two other people, meaning Kruger was basically not the only influence on the writing.

I mean, the guy even admitted in interviews he doesn't even outline his plot before writing the script.

8. electronic456

News Credits:
    Or you know.... The other way around.

Anyone writing a bad remake can still write the script for a good film. (E.g. Eric Heisserer)