Why the hatred with Windblade?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I really prefer Windblade as a fresh person who's learning the ropes and is not over-the-top than her being introduced in a sterotypical (and by now it became a boring and overused trope in fiction) Whedon-ish snarky action girl style.

Seriously.

2. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    Windy defeated Menasor with a swing of her sword in the CW animation.

3. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Well, that's a different thing from the comics right?

And I haven't heard good stuff about that show.

4. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I find her a very expressive, emotive character who has a much richer inner life than we see from most, so statements like this still boggle me.

Or do you mean just, like, outward expression of personality? Swerve doesn't have as much depth of character, but he's very out-there and forward, to say the least.

And, even then... we see Windblade out drinking with friends and stuff like that. She's reserved on some things, but she's not exactly a wallflower.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I don't really care one way or another about Windblade, though I think most people's problem with her has to do with her being introduced so forcibly into the story only to sort of fall flat and end up doing politics with Starscream. Windblade's toy and general design also seem rather ill-conceived to me, the Kabuki make-up really makes her stick out as being something designed by humans rather than a convincing Transformer.

6. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Now this one I don't get. All new characters haven't done anything and lack an established persona.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    But most of them don't get a Gen. toy on the spot, their own comic and an appearance in a machinima and tv series.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    The way they treated Windblade was akin to how they treated Bumblebee once the movies came out. But at least he was a heritage character.

9. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Maybe it's the 3 1/2 men effect. When Charlie was gone, a lot of people weren't so into Kelso.
    And Windblade is sort of a replacement for Arcee...
    Personally I don't mind Windblade at all. In fact, new characters are a refreshing addition to things

10. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

You should watch it.

11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

It's not Windblade who got a toy, but a toy who got Windblade.

Saying that she got the toy undeserved is taking things backwards, because this character was made only for this fan-voted toy... Were this not for this toy coming from the poll, the character would never exits, so at least this one accusation is silly at best.

All the rest with her came later. To sell the toy.

Drift was a new unestablished character who got the toy and the miniseries out of the left field.

12. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I think one of the reasons why people have become grudgingly okay with Drift is because his toy was amazing, whereas Windblade's was something of a turd. That, and Roberts was able to make Drift endearing in MTMTE before that imbecile McCarthy sadly got to write for him again. Scott's done great things with the Combaticons in Till All Are One, so I think if we give her more time to figure out Windblade's character, that Windblade could eventually become a good character.

13. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

WB Generations toy needs all the help in selling it can get. :X

14. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

She was created by fan vote! The toy was literally the thing we were voting on,

The rest came because toy and mini were popular. I don't quite get why people are missing that- she had a great reception.

And as others have noted, the machinina series ain't exactly a plus...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I'm always slightly baffled why people complain about Windblade' initial exposure. When the fan poll was running, they made it very clear that the winning bot would get a toy and their own comic. This was never made a secret from us.

• Like Like x 7
  16. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

And can you imagine the complaining if a fan-voted character promised that stuff *didn't* get their toy and comic? People'd be pissed!

So very, very pissed.

• Like Like x 2
  17. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    That Windblade is one outrageous chick. She's totally in my face!

If I got to write Transformers, I'd do this:

One, Windblade needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Windblade's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Windblade?"

• Like Like x 3
  18. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem is Windblade is awkward character is that aspects of her character is not being fit in. You have a great plot device being CitySpeaker and it is not a big deal on other words. The problem is Windblade disgust at violence. It comes off being wrong and smug to those participated in the Great War instead she could teach them non violent ways with out being so judgmental about it.

19. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I've thought her IDW series was okay, and Scott's a better writer than Barber. I've disliked what writers did with her less than I disliked what fans did in creating her:

"Fembot or not?"
    "Fembot!"
    "Awesome! So progressive. Now let's talk her personality—"
    "Like a Seeker, but with geisha mask & stilletto heels!"

• Like Like x 1
  20. l0te

l0te Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Appearances: She is /everywhere/. I can't spit without hitting a Windblade rendition stuffed into a show or comic or toy line or game or interview. Even franchise mainstays like Bee suffer from fatigue, and he's got 30 years of history and fanbase; now we have a nobody being arbitrarily stuffed down our throats. She's not a good enough character to carry her own appearances. I don't care that a single fan poll years ago voted her into existence (voted on her appearance and ONE personality trait only, mind you, so no, no one even voted the character we got). Give her a rest.

Design:
    Her original concept work was iffy at best for me, but now that all the ferocity of the warrior aspects the artist intended has been blunted, she just looks like a generic robotic woman--complete with heels, red bikini, makeup, and hair updo--instead of a transformer. Also ultra thin, feminine body shape. This is not the representation I wanted.

Personality: IDW Windblade has the personality of a doormat, and yet is some how considered charismatic enough to not only be considered a diplomat, but to be able to soothe rogue combiners and mentally unstable murderers with a single platitude. CW Windblade was an obnoxious, ineffectual edgelord.

Writing: Scott (who usually writes Windblade) seems to be laboring under the delusion that Windblade is some sort of nuanced, morally gray character when everything she writes has all the subtlety of a hand grenade. IDW Windblade is put in situations time and time again where her adversaries (usually Starscream) are dumbed down so she can look good, which is extremely tiring. That and some social media cringe/interviews have completely turned me off to anything Scott writes; seeing as how she's Windblade's keeper, it has absolutely affected my thoughts on the character. Barber is better about it, but doesn't write her enough to affect my opinion of her. CW writing is self-explanatory; that whole thing was a dumpster fire.

Windblade wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't INTRODUCED as a main character, and was instead given time to develop organically under the hands of a skilled writer. Worse, she's become the Token female character for the franchise, which really sucks because she's just garbage.

That and we need a Windbreak. Just seeing her not appear in anything for a while would probably do wonders.

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.