Why the hatred with Windblade?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wanted to know why so many people do not like her, it can not be because of IDW comics since she is a good character with an good if that's why she's a new character who gets so much attention when Optimus and Soundwave I do not understand since what most people like in IDW comics is the fact that they use characters who have never had any previous highlights or new characters.

2. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Probably because Hasbro keeps trying to cram her down out throats like Bumblebee?

I don't know, I quite like her and I liked her design when it was revealed. I kind of liked her in the Combiner Wars cartoon, don't read the IDW comics, and I love her in RID15.

I'm just going to say it but Windblade is my favorite Autobot.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro cram her into everything without taking the time to give her a damn character.
    Seriously watch Combiner Wars, or better yet, don't and just take the fandom's collective word for it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:
    I have no idea. She's a good character with an interesting back story and an awesome design.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Reask

Reask Predacon

I love her in the RID cartoon, she was kick ass in it. As far as her appearance in the comics is concerned, I've been rereading them and in the first Windblade series, she ends up being quite manipulative with covering up her friend's crime, and I know it's Starscream no one cares if you manipulate him, but it still stands, she has good intentions, but deep down she would have made a fine Decepticon. And I just reread the second Windblade series and, okay I know the race has no rules so sabotage is a-okay, but the way she went about it was too gleeful.

I guess she's like Prowl, good intentioned but misdirected in her methods, only not as extreme as Prowl.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

She's basically being shoved into everything as a character with importance without ever really going on about why she deserves to be treated as such a big deal just because of some arbitrary titles.

Additionally, she's actually the worst case scenario that everybody thought Drift was going to be. Japanese sword-swinging ultra-cool original character who automatically got Generations toys despite having done nothing in the comics and their own focus comics right off the bat. Drift managed to avoid the majority of blacklash simply by being an overhyped character who actually didn't do a lot of anything in the comics, plus his toy is actually pretty damn good so he was begrudginly accepted by the fandom and when another writer got the chance to do the character he was redeemed. The same can not be said of Windblade, whose Generations toy is not the greatest, she's the epitome of every single thing otherwise lacking in the Autobot fold: A FEMALE SEEKER WITH THE EDGIEST PAINTJOB POSSIBLE, and she's the main character in that awful machima series despite the fact she didn't have a Combiner Wars toy.

• Like Like x 8
  7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Yeah I never got the extreme hate towards her either. If we're talking about the CW MaCinema Windblade then sure understandable but the IDW and RID15 are actually well written in their own right.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    i dont know why everyone hates Windblade she was the best character in CW cos she wanted to kill everything and it was very edgy

• Like Like x 4
  9. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher Just another Edgelord

News Credits:
    From what I understand, it stems from the fact that the Transformers fandom, ironically, doesn't really deal well with change. Of course, that's not the only reason, but it's a start. The rest is because she's vastly different in every continuity seen so far (although really that can apply with any character.)

IDW Windblade is a soft-spoken but very opinionated individual, struggling to find her way between a Prime that doesn't fit the legend, a politician who has less-then-ideal morals that seems to swing between HOW DO I LEAD and I OWN EVERYTHING TREAT ME WITH RESPECT DAMMIT, and something involving Chromia blowing up a lot of people and her covering it up both for emotional and seemingly pragmatic reasons.

RID Windblade started out as a stereotype of a hot-headed super-cool kickass character archetype blessed by the gods themselves, but after that dropped down to a more average character that isn't as obnoxious but still had some level of problematic tendencies.

And Combiner Wars Windblade is a Rule 63 Robotic Eren Jaegar that can strike people as being incredibly edgy and difficult to work with.

Honestly, the hatred of Windblade, from what I see, is seemingly different for everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Can't say I like or dislike her much. No bigger opinion.

But can we have at least consistent characterisation for her? So far her three incarnations are completely different: NuRiD, IDW and CW machinima aren't even close to each other in terms of personality. Like it was three different characters who only happen to be using the same model and name.

Also, IDW and NuRiD versions kinda work on their own...

...but CW Tsundereblade is just hilariously badly made angsty edgelord.

Someone was trying to compete with IDW Murdercee or something? :X

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I don't care how good her if was, "good character" does not describe the infinitely naive, underdeveloped cardboard cutout she is in IDW. Like, the only thing I remember her actually doing was being drawn all cute and inoffensive and attractive, and letting a murderer go free without punishment because they were BFFs.

Except IDW takes old characters/toys who are years old, but haven't had much exposure and gives them actual, real personalities and stories because they suit the needs of the tale being told. Windblade was forced into IDW, regardless of if she brought anything worthwhile to the table, because of something totally arbitrary. Compare her to Rattrap, or Sky-byte, or Waspinator who were all brought in because they were already popular. Windblade wasn't popular, nobody was asking for her to appear in IDW, because she didn't exist.

Citation needed.

That makes no sense, though. IDW could not change things more often if it tried, and yet it is very popular overall. Autobot Megatron literally screws with the fundamentals of the brand's lore, and yet is widely praised in concept. Aside from what, Windblade "changes" nothing. She doesn't alter the status quo, or mark a shift in focus for IDW. She's just a lame character thrust onto us for no reason. It has absolutely nothing to do with change.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  12. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

It's the CW version of Windblade that sucks, they turned her into a Lightning from FFXIII-calibur Mary Sue.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    For all the people saying she's a good character:

Why did Scott's comic get exponentially much better when it stopped being a Windblade spotlight series and became a comic that merely features her as a player?

Yup. Windblade's everything people pretended Drift was.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher Just another Edgelord

News Credits:
    Fair enough.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Personally I'm torn on Windblade. I actually thought she was a pretty good addition to RID, especially in season 2.

However, her IDW version is grating at best; granted I gave up on Windblade/RID/Transformers/whatever because I found it to be annoying to read, but her characters hypocrisy and initial story arc made me want to grind my teeth. Starting the series by asking everyone about Starscream and then shrugging when everyone says don't trust him felt like the worst kind of retread, then her "Quest for Justice" falls apart when she learns someone she knew was behind it and did it to get her to leave Cybertron, so who cares that people died or bringing her to justice? Then she starts recruiting planets in secret "to win the balance" of the council of worlds votes, but then throws a temper tantrum when she learns Starscream made first contact without her while she was off making contact without him. When I saw her again, Sentinel had shown up and she wasn't so bad, playing off Starscream, but still, hardly anything worth note either way at that point IMHO.

I'm probably lucky that I gave up on the Combiner Wars Animated shorts, but that's probably the best for every character in it.

As RID shows, her character can be good, but she should've been developed on her own, the City Speaker I think was her biggest holdup along with the way she was introduced and integrated. They had a chance to create a new character who was new to the war, free from all the factionism and war and instead they thrust her right in with everyone else so as to not cause too many waves and create actual story drama.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rockdown

Rockdown Persecutor in chief

Ebay:
    Because Windblade, like Arcee, has benefited from overwhelming amounts of positive discrimination/affirmative action.

17. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Sausage puns are the wurst

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    Personally, I hate Windblade for her stupid robo-not-gehsia design, and the fact that she has gotten a Gen. toy and her own comic without ever really doing anything or having an establish persona.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    A big part of it is that she's been a part of pretty much every major Transformers media for the past few years. I understand that she's the fan-created character, but I certainly can understand the fatigue with her being everywhere. And on top of that, people wouldn't mind her being everywhere if she was a good character. Letting Chromia off of essentially terrorism because they were besties was a big what the hell moment that the comics are only now just addressing, two years later in real time. And her RID 2015 is just a one note cocky character who immediately gets into a feud with the other female in the cast, and is presented as being on a divine mission from Primus and whatever. I haven't watched the Combiner Wars show, but it looks like there's not much to her there either.

I certainly wouldn't consider myself a hater of Windblade by any means, but I can understand why people hate her. It's over-saturation of a poor character. If I was making a Transformers series, I wouldn't mind using her, but I'd be damn sure to do a better job with her.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ninjanicktf

Ninjanicktf Mushroom Samba

I actually like windblade, but I understand why some may not. As the fellow above me stated, it is annoying how Hasbro is shoving her down our throats.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As others have said, Hasbro is forcing her on us. Surprised she hasn't been put in the movies yet.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.