Why ROTF was bad?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DafuqBoom, Jul 4, 2017.

1. DafuqBoom

DafuqBoom Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I've recently seen much ratings that got ROTF in the very last place on being favourite Transformers movie. It's a strange thing, and I'll explain why. The point is that every movie got almost similar ratings on IMDB and Kinopoisk (Russian IMDB), except for ROTF. It has 7.152 on Kinopoisk (better than DOTM), while on IMBD It's just 6.00 and very low procent on Rotten Tomatoes. Even TLK got like 5.8 on KP and 5.6 on IMDB (something similar to IMDB). So what's the reason? I mean can't just Russian dubbing (even though it is very well done) rise up ratings for like 1.2.

I'm asking you to type your subjective (not prejudiced) point on what you think about this movie, why you didn't like it, what was that wrong with it. As for myself I find this movie pretty good, I really enjoyed the Forest Battle and all other stuff just like in the first movie. Ofcourse things was already different, but why so badly rated? Because of Starscream being as bitchy as in G1? That's probably not a reason for critics. Autobot heaven, crumbling matrix, illogical behaviour of humans/transformers? Too much filthy jokes? Which was the mainest problem?

2. jmannrock

jmannrock Failed Knight of Primus

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Personally, the whole college setting was unneeded. Judy getting weed brownies was stupid. I couldn't stand the roommate. Everything else was chill

Why was a prime the only thing that could kill the fallen though?

• Like Like x 1
  3. FlamingBolt

FlamingBolt Well-Known Member

Prime was immune to fallen hax/ powers

• Like Like x 1
  4. DafuqBoom

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I guess it was something like Optimus is the strongest of the Autobots to destroy The Fallen. I don't think that it was meant like all other autobots/humans can't defeat The Fallen at all. Even Optimus wouldn't have defeated him without Jetfire's power. Or maybe because he's a Prime, they "feel" eachother as their brothers and know what they afraid, how they fight. That's not explained yeah, but I guess it's just the part of company, where some unexplained things left to the fans to promote the movie and keep it on wave.

• Like Like x 1
  5. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    ROTF I actually hold somewhat close to my heart as being my first tf movie in theaters. That said, over the years as I matured (because I saw it when I was about 13) I noticed why it wasn't too well received and then some of those points started sticking out to me.

For me it's just the unnecessary joke filler as well as the glaring plot holes. Like how come, since Sam had the allspark shard, did he not think to use that on optimus to bring him back to life as opposed to hunting for the matrix? Why was Megatron "probing" Sam to figure out "the energon source" when it's established later that the fallen already knew where it was? Why did the military put so much trust into Sam without even so much as an argument?

Stuff like that. then I came to realize the Egypt fight was overwhelmingly In favor of the military going at it. The autobots were literally in the background.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Personally, I don't consider ROTF bad. The twins were stupid and unnecessary, the pretender was stupid and unnecessary, and a LOT of the humor was immature (and stupid and unnecessary). But there are parts of ROTF that kick more ass than any other film in the series. I rank it third, behind TF1 and DOTM, and it's not that far behind.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I'd say the number one thing that dragged the movie down was the humor. When you have scenes of dogs humping, Sam's mom on weed, wrecking balls on Devastator, and humping robots you feel like you're watching a spoof of a Transformers movie rather than an actual one. Aside from the humor you have some stupid plot points and a wasted villain. Don't get me wrong though, the Forest Battle probably was one of the best scenes any TF movie has ever had. Yet I cannot describe to you how disappointed I was by this film.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Reask

Reask Predacon

I rewatched it before seeing The Last Knight and, when it first came out, I was a typical 16 year old teenager who just loved it for the action and women. (Hey what do you expect from me?) Overtime I cared less for it and found it boring.

Now having seen it again, it's not as bad as I remembered it but it is obnoxious and sometimes boring. When it focused on the Transformers and the action it's all good fun, but the comedy can get too wild and clashes with the other serious tone of the film, although all of these films are tone deaf anyway. See I actually like the story about the dumbass quest for the Matrix and all the shattered hope and despair that came with it, but that's Sam's story, not the Transformers story, which is what most people are more interested in. The Fallen, he has an interesting backstory but he's a boring one dimensional villain due to his lack of screentime. Optimus certainly has his moments but they are few and far between.

For me, this film suffers from being rushed thanks to the writers strike and the two year gap inbetween films. The first one was a success, so let's get a sequel out quickly. Like how they reused Decepticons from the first film, or how the scene of the characters hiding from the cops in Egypt was so poorly edited and rushed, and with how little screentime the title villain was given, it's all very rushed.

Overall I don't hate it, just find it to be a slightly fun if mediocre basic sequel.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The pacing is a mess, the 'comedy' is cringeworthy and the related comedic subplots take the film in completely unneeded and pointless directions, the characterizations are paper thin and basically all of them are just there to remind us how great Sam is and how much we all need to help him on his great and astounding mission and golly gee isn't he swell?, the main plot itself is highly linear and relies on just running from one mcguffin-setpiece combination to another for the third to fifth acts of the film, the climax is over in basically a blink after like three deus ex machinas, the villain's motivations are poorly illustrated and don't tie effectively in with the previous films, the action sequences (forest fight aside, which I think everyone acknowledges is pretty great) are frenetic and confusing to a lot of viewers, the major actions of the film are either meaningless or ignored (that is, actions taken in the film are not shown to have consequences, its not easy to see how things are different from how they were at the start of the film, even if they SHOULD be impactful), etc. etc. etc.

Should I keep going?

• Like Like x 3
  10. AMG

AMG Old School

I enjoyed RotF for what it was. The forest battle was awesome and the verbal exchanges between Megatron and Starscream were also enjoyable.

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Bay's not generally great at humor and ROTF was the one that was littered the most with it.

12. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It's an awful movie. The Forest battle was one of the only redeeming features.

It suffers from poor continuity, small but significant details including Megatron getting a new alt mode for no reason and Prime dying despite Sam/Michaela having an allspark shard in their possession etc etc etc
    The humor is often cringeworthy - Jetfire farting, Devastator's 'scrotum'
    The characters are terrible especially the Twins, Jolt is basically anonymous and just there to sell a car
    Another lame major villain in The Fallen, Devastator is completely wasted
    The movie is too long - I know other movies are this running time too but they handle pacing far better
    Too much military garbage again

• Like Like x 3
  13. DafuqBoom

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The thing with allspark shard is the thing that confused me well. Maybe like it was to obvious for directors that this shard couldn't revive Prime (even though a little shard can do a lot more, as The Cube itself contains much bigger energy, it was only transformed to a small version) but the rest are kinda explainable. Megatron tried to find The Matrix, because The Fallen didn't know where it was as well as Megatron, and it was needed to launch this sunsucking machine. Lennox trusted Sam as they got close to eachother during the first movie (or maybe writters think so), Epps trusted Lennox, other guys trusted these two so why not. They even discussed this, like "why would we drop Prime there; the boy probably won't ask this dumb shit if he didn't know what to do", so. DOTM and ROTF are the same with combining millitary and Transformers in one shot. Millitary gets the most attention, as those are actors, while TF's are CGI. I mean I would love to see more about TF's and millitary as bg, but it would be just a CGI movie, while i think MB wanted to film with actors.

14. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is pretty much my take as well--the humor is just really cringeworthy (the humping dogs twice, the mom talking about Sam getting his cherry popped, her generally really foul language, the pot brownie scene, the creepy professor, the buck-tooth guy at the deli, Devastator's balls, Dickbot, etc., etc.), but other than that, I like it.

15. DafuqBoom

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I guess all these Jetfire farts and all other personalities given to Transformers was changing the whole conception of the movie. While TF1 was having sorta "alien-invasion" feeling, TF2 and others made things more close to the cartoon. But looks like cartoonish characters didn't fit well in the mature movie. My greatest disappointment was Starscream after being the top badass in TF1 and leaving huge expectations on him being badass in TF2 became so bitchy. I don't know who decided to do this and why. Maybe G1 fans asked very much to make Transformers more G1'nish but it turned out badly for some characters or idk.

• Like Like x 2
  16. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Also just to clarify I don't care if the movieverse is influenced by G1, Beast Wars or anything else. I would be ok with brand new characters and names never seen before.

I just want a good movie from start to finish.

17. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Also, Sideswipe is my favorite movieverse robot design. He's just absolutely perfect.

18. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First off.. as with all of the movies the robots didn't get very much valuable screentime.

Skids and mudflap were just stupid, a waste of space, effort, and money.

Jolt didn't say a single word and had no introduction.

Sideswipe had like 3 lines that contributed nothing to the story.

The decepticons were lame, there were 2 long hauls, 2 demolishors, 2 rampages, 2 mixmasters, 2 scrapoers, another bonecrusher, another blackout, etc. none of them said anything in English and most of them had no lines at all.

Devastator was a mess. How they could take the combiner concept and do so little with it is lame. Actually, I'd say that about every movie. The concept of transforming robots, jets, cars, etc is so rich with potential but hardly ever realized.

The part in movie 1 with starscream fighting the F-22's was really cool. But it lasted a split second. Or the part in DOTM where the autobots are fighting sentinel, sentinel swings his sword at bumblebee, bumblebee transforms quick, backs up, then transforms back into a robot and continues fighting. That's the kind of stuff I would've liked to see more of.

The whole mikaela screaming "I love you" to Sam is probably the absolute most cringe-worthy line in the entire series.

Same being brought back to life by the primes?.. yeah, I don't get it and didn't like it. Yet another time a human was the key to something.

The fact that they wasted the death of prime. At that point both leaders had been killed and brought back to life.. 2 movies in and that happens.

No one helping Prime when he was killed.. bumblebee was there when the chase began, he couldn't have dropped the kids off and helped Prime?

The fallen being the scrawniest and weakest looking of the primes was pretty lame.

The matrix looked goofy.

Bumblebee gets yelled at even though he was saving Sam and his parents.

Bumblebee let a decepticon ride in him and didn't know.. or knew and decided not to kill it or question it.

Sideways had one cool scene and was killed.

I could go on.

People can blame the writers strike.. but I don't think the movie would've been all that different had the strike not happened.

• Like Like x 2
  19. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually I enjoy it for what it is. But I hated it the first time I saw it.

I still feel like there's absolutely no characterization of the autobots, and the decepticons were a confused jumbled mess.

If you're going to have two identical character models , some of which of characters that DIED in the previous film. Either have someone say "they are clones, they are drones, etc... OR change their colors or tweak the looks just a bit. But it's just so damn lazy, and quite frankly insulting that they would either think their audience wouldn't notice, or wouldn't care.

Devastator and soundwave are two of my favorite things in transformers history and both are wasted, especially devastator.

But that's not what the critics disliked, they disliked the lack of explanation the lack of any pacing at all, or even the purpose in a film that's all over the place story wise. Sad thing is I feel up to primes "death" it's the best transformers film ever. When prime dies it just goes to hell, the movie dies with him.

All that being said I actually sort of love it...even though I hate it.

It's a beautiful film to watch, the action is unlike anything else, the soundtrack is brilliant, the robot designs are suited to my taste, and jetfire was great, I loved his arc and every second he was on screen (except the farting)

• Like Like x 2
  20. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, the story was fine, I mean it serves it's purpose. But the issues are so blatantly obvious that I wouldn't care for the bland story if they could've just fixed the common sense shit. The writers strike is a scapegoat, and there's no denying it. Don't write "only a prime can defeat the fallen" into your dialog 3-4 times and NEVER say why...it's just silly. And who in their right mind thinks all of a sudden going to robot heaven is a good idea? This thing was incompetently conceived. I think this is the only case where Bay succeeded over the writers in at least having crafted some great choreographed fights.

And on your first point why were the autobots written out of the movie? Ratchet has more lines in his death scene in AOE than all 3 previous movies combined....this is just wrong.

• Like Like x 3