Why not just release the "better" version first?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Neo Tallgeese II, May 19, 2024.

1. Neo Tallgeese II

Neo Tallgeese II Active Member

I just finished looking at the Thundertron leader pack pics. Thundertron, Springer (Leader), Blaster (Studio Series), Galvatron (non battle damage), and others are Transformers which are released, only to have arguably better versions come out later. In the case of Thundertron, his Voyager legacy version is still on shelves so the turn around will be quicker than many.
    YES - - - Much of this can simply be attributed to the "get them to buy the inferior version and save the better I've got to get it version for later" business model.
    Outside of that, have there been official or unoffical reasonss stated? I could very well be missing something and I'm trying to not fall into the everything is the fault of corporate greed argument. Any feedback will be very much appreciated.

2. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    upload_2024-5-19_9-13-58.jpeg

• Like Like x 62
  3. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

Nope, you got it. They want people to double dip, simple as that. I had a non TF friend just the other day tell me he preordered ER Prime, I told him to cancel as the SS86 is en route this year. They know their consumer base and take advantage when they can.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In a number of cases, "inferior" is subjective. I actually prefer the first Blaster release with the clear plastic tape door.

• Like Like x 21
  5. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

All of these had the better version released first.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ER Prime. Everyone has different things they like. The SS86 one will be almost double the price and will likely be very animation accurate. I have two reissue ER Primes on order and I own one already as well as the Netflix one. I have both Pepsi Prime and Diaclone convoy stickers waiting for them.

Having two versions gives consumers a choice. If I had to choose between hyper toon accurate Blaster or !Ariel Blaster, I’d choose Marvel. With the 84 guys I’d choose toy accurate.

Now things like ER Wheeljack vs Selects Wheeljack… I don’t think the designers went out of their way to make the first one “inferior”. They just want to make things look cool deco wise for the general audience. And he is great, especially with toyhax. The recent stuff is catering to toon accuracy.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Revoticus

Revoticus Splitting headache

138d1fb2-a6b8-4322-a50e-691ff67087a9_text.gif

Although I'm fine with Detritus being mainline since I already have two deluxe Hounds.

8. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I could see them deciding to fix some things based on fan feedback and/or due to budgetary restraints that might have existed during the initial release. But mostly:

1950s-smiling-boy-eating-double-dip-ice-cream-cone-looking-at-camera-panoramic-images.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here. I love clear plastic windows on figures (although it unfortunate that it is often poorly implemented). If they were doing the solid blue windows as far back as Siege, I don't think I'd still be collecting TFs today.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    Sometimes it's due to greed, sometimes it's due to the constraints of the line. Yes, they could've given Thundertron an eyepatch and a hook hand, but Wal Mart was locked in for the Star Seeker capsule and they needed the toys to be different. They could've given Springer more accessories and a different paint job, but it was released back during Siege where priorities were different

• Like Like x 3
  11. Inferno

Inferno Kidult

News Credits:
    I don't think they are trying to release the worst version first, they just want to offer more options (and more ways to get your money). And sometimes they do know they messed up so they want to release an improved version, more of a "oop sorry try this one we fixed it" kinda thing. All in the name of money of course, but I don't see them maliciously sabotaging a figure's first release to then "fix" it.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately there are a few cases where they did seemingly release an inferior version before a fixed one. Kingdom Galvatron and Cheetor for example. First run Galvatron in Kingdom wave 3 had all sorts of battle damage, two years after Siege had wrapped up, and six months later he was rereleased in Legacy with non of it- that's not a long enough span of time for this to be a reaction to criticism. Heck, they released the Netflix Cheetor with improved colours while the line the first version was put out in was still running.

• Like Like x 1
  13. garrythegremlin

garrythegremlin Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    But also like, Siege Springer came out around 5 years ago now… A new updated Springer gives people a way to get that character. Same with most of these. And like someone else already said, it’s totally subjective if they’re “better” or not. I’m sticking with my kingdom blaster cause I hate the painted chest instead of the clear one.

• Like Like x 5
  14. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I think most people here have already nailed the various possible reasons. Also going on the money aspect, Hasbro probably doesn't create a mold for a new toy for just a single use. True they can and do retool molds all the time for new characters but that does take more money so they want to get as much of their money's worth on a single mold as possible so that is possibly just one reason they keep releasing that mold over and over either as a repaint or a straight up reissue.

As for ER Prime, definitely nothing wrong with him. There are a few little nitpicks I have with him but they are just that little. Not enough for me to remove him from my Generations shelf. But seeing how high he is going on eBay, there is demand and I can't blame Hasbro for wanting to get a piece of that. I know that SS86 Optimus Prime is rumored but right now Hasbro has yet to make an official announcement so as of now, one of the best options (at least IMO) for a decent G1 (cartoon style) style Prime is ER Prime. And even when SS86 Prime is released, the ER Prime will still serve a purpose. Parents who want to get their kids a decent Optimus Prime will probably rather spend $55 vs. $90-100.

15. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And if you think the newer versions are improvements, wait until you see the versions they will release next!

• Like Like x 4
  16. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    The OP is working from the assumption that everyone thinks the newer version is better. Definitely not the case. :D  I often feel the latest version doesn’t live up to its predecessors.

Do you know your friend prefers the more basic Sunbow look? Honestly, even if SS86 Optimus were the same price as ER, I’d still choose ER because I’m not a fan of the show-slavish look. Hell, I popped Prime’s head apart so I could paint his eyes yellow to homage the original better.

I mean, you probably know your friend’s preference, but I wouldn’t just automatically assume someone will like the latest version better.

This exactly. I prefer TR Blaster to either of the subsequent versions. Looks more like the orignal, and the size matches as well.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont think its greed per se, i think once a model is created, creating an improved version is easier once an original model is created. Kind of like cars or or other things, why wasnt the first apple iphone anything like the current models?

19. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    I prefer the head on the regular Legacy voyager Thundertron since I never liked the one on the old Prime toy, so its the "better" version to me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Al221

Al221 Megaman stan

It would be naive to think that money wasn't a factor, but I ultimately think the answer depends on which release we are talking about.
    Going through your list as an example:

Siege Springer was released nearly 5 years before 86 Springer, and 2 years before they even introduced Studio Series 86 to begin with. He was not designed with a future re-do in mind.

Legacy Galvatron and 86 Blaster where both partially influenced by fan feedback to their original toys, I'm pretty sure that Galvatron was initially intended as a straight reissue of the original. I would also argue that Eject is the only part of SS86 Blaster that is objectively better, Blaster himself is more of a side-grade.

Thundertron is a bit of a headscratcher honestly, but it's a bit of an odd situation all round and honestly doesn't fit the "re-do" trend.
    Granted, I don't think the designers consider the voyager version of the mold as the inferior version per se, just a slight re-imagining. It's just strange they didn't go farther to re-imagine him than just giving him a slightly different head and colour scheme.
    Maybe the decision to include Thundertron in Legacy United came before the idea for the Star Raider capsule line, and Hasbro execs insisted on having a Leader class Thundertron in the line?
    The next time that the designers do a Q&A this should definitely be brought up as a question, because It's honestly such a strange decision to make.