why no new heads?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i got richochet yesterday, and while he looks really cool, i wish they had given him a new head...i know that when they design the toys they probably design a half dozen heads, then pick one to produce...but why cant they use the other ones for repaints? so far, i still like them enough to buy straight repaints, i just wish they did what they did with tracks when they made him swerve...oh well, maybe the next few will be changed....

2. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

I just wish they had completed the paint on his face

3. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You mean you wish they had stuck with the paint version you like. The paint is not "incomplete". It's just different from the mockup.

4. Lumpy

News Credits:
    they didnt complete the paint? i thought he looked fine...granted, i havent opened him yet, but the box looked good....also, how do you guys open the new alt packaging? i loved the old boxes cux they still remained very nice when just opening one side, but now, you have to cut 3 of the 4 sides of the bubble and then it just sits loose and funny...i hate the new boxes...hopefully it changes soon...i miss the blue boxes....

5. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    They just decided not to paint his nose. That's all they mean by "didn't complete the paint."

6. RHansen

RHansen Veteran

News Credits:
    i think his white nose looks fine, kind of like a roman helmet look to it

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The nose IS painted. Painted white.

8. centurian

centurian Recovering Energon Abuser

why no new heads?

Because Has/Tak are cheap..

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    1000% Correct, just trying to squeese more money out of a mold that is already there, just the same as they do with all the other TF lines. As I had said before if there were atleast a minor remold I would buy these.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Yeah I agree, new heads would have made them seem much more worth the money I shelled out for them. Surprisingly it did wonders for Swerve.

11. Blackstar

Blackstar TFW2005 Supporter

Because remolds of any kind cost money, and who knows, maybe Has/Tak is contractually obliged to use these molds upwards of 1-2 times in order to get the rights to release the car.

12. centurian

centurian Recovering Energon Abuser

Yeah - but from a strictly business point of view - the extra couple of cents - and that's all we're talking about - per unit - spent on an new head sculpt could signal the difference between a sell out product and a shelf warmer that will end up being nothing more than a tax write off.

And even if they don't use completely new moulds - they could still play mix and match a little within the alt/bt range.

Cost savings of this kind can end up being false economy. Alt/Bt's arn't quite the same mass market item as many other tf product is - they're aimed (at least in part) at a slightly different market - when I see straight remaints though - I think that the bean counters are forgetting that.

13. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I think remolds cost more than you seem to. How many of these toys do you think are made? I'm guessing in the low tens of thousands. I can't locate the source material on the web at present, but I seem to recall being told that any remold (such as a new head) would cost about $10,000 for Hasbro to do (or maybe that was just 3H's cost. Anyone with a link can feel free to use it). If this is the case, and say, 20,000 toys are made, we're talking about 50 cents of cost just for the new head. That's a fairly significant amount, to my thinking.

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, they forgot the nose when they put the face coat on...:( 

15. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

I'm also believing that Hasbro has been unwilling to go that extra mile for new head molds due to cost. One would've liked to believe, since Alternators was to be a "collectors" type of line, that they would've paid more attention to that type of detail. Seeing as any head remolding in the new BW anniversary line has been also ignored, they obviously are trying to keep things cheap. Its disappointing since I would've expected better from a collector geared line, but Hasbro is what it is and I guess I've learned to temper my expectations of them. I do take some consolation in that it isnt only TFs they do this with. Almost all their toy lines that have portions geared towards the collector crowd have flaws that tend to sour the line a little.

16. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Maybe if they weren't doing about 4 different lines at once they could afford some new remold changes.

17. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Yes, it is - but Hasbro will only charge an outside entity that much - it costs them much less to do it internally.

I'd agree with the notion that the extra sales would probably pretty much always make up for remolding costs, but until they try it we'll never know.

The other heads aren't cast on to the molds (though it would be smart of Hasbro do do so...). The fact the sculpts are pre-existing doesn't save much money.

Phazer

18. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i actually cut the 3 sides, leaving the back attached...but that sucks cuz it kinda makes it a little floppy when you set it down...but i dont like peeling because it tears the box a little, and i hate that....i hope they go back to the old boxes, where you can just cut the tape on one end, and pop that baby out....