Why no lasers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Jul 10, 2010.

1. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

because lazers are cheap and unrealistic

2. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I was wondering the same all the time. Why no lasers?

3. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

lasers are stupid, and bullets suck. so why not plasma/Fusion weapons ?? Look at this thing:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  4. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I recall Orci and Kurtzman saying in the August 2006 webchat that they would fire bullets in their alternate mode and lasers in robot mode, but I guess Bay deemed it visually unimpressive. In fact I pretty much think Bay would decide lasers were 'cheesy' considering it was so used in the cartoon.

5. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    Personally, I find lasers too "star wars-ish", and are more appropriate for an 80s sci-fi movie. The robots in this movie series are more realistic than that, so it's perfectly natural for them to have bullets, missiles and some energy based weaponry.

That'd be cool, but only for some really bad-ass Transformer. I think it'd be sweet if one of them had something akin to the Spartan Laser from Halo 3, or maybe even this Fusion Gun.

6. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    Because lasers can be reflected. It's no fun if you shoot yourself in the face.

7. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
  8. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

Totally agree, I'd like to see more of that. Come to think of it, that whole sequence was better than anything that followed in both films actually. I also read something though that at least in vehicle modes, the film crew weren't allowed to show US military aircraft, tanks etc firing non-standard weaponry, so energy beams, lasers etc were out.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

So if I'm understanding you correctly a robot that flies from another planet and lands on Earth disguised as a meteorite then scans Earth cars so they can turn into that car and then they are going to stop a group of bad robots from using something call the Sun Harvester is realist but lasers as weapons would not be realist.

Quick someone call the Pentagon and tell them to drop their development projects on lasers.

10. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

I never agreed that these movies realistic, but Bay and company want to make them "realistic", and they're doing a really good job at it too! Grindor dropping a van full of Sam, Mikaela, and Leo from 500 ft. in the air and in a warehouse where they come out just fine was one of the most realistic things I've ever seen in a motion picture!

11. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

I'm more inclined to think they use plasma based weapons. Too slow for lasers.

I do believe one of the Decepticon protoforms used a beam weapon and got blasted by a Heat round for all his trouble.

12. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    IMA FIRUHN MAI LAZUH
    ^ sorry, couldnt resist
    But seriously, I honestly prefer it without.
    Lazers are very sci-fi/b-movie cornball... and I appreciate that TFs can kick a$$ without them

13. I AM MEGATRON

I AM MEGATRON pleasure model

The strongest lasers (Those with actual damaging power to metal) have very high electric fields; if reflected off almost anything with high emissivity, these electric would reflect - and even a glancing exposure could damage sensitive components such as optical sensors permanently. Meaning they'd probably blind each other or every human around seconds within a fight.

Also high powered lasers are generally in the UV range, so you wouldn't be able to see them anyway, plus they aren't very visually appealing, there is no 'laser trail' like you would see with a tracer round, you'd just see a line of light..if anything at all...and you wouldn't hear anything...except probably a noisy generator.....in fact we can just pretend they're firing lasers.

Lasers arent slow at all, its instant , and can be assumed to be an almost infinite line throughout the aperture size ...it would suck if a fight was won if someone just swung around slicing everything in a second.

plus bullets and missiles are cool.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

lasers are boring.

bullets, missiles, and machine guns are far more interesting lol.

and on top of that, blades are even funner to watch.

it's the same reason why there were no lasers in gi joe resolute =]

i mean, if you want lasers, what else do you want? parachuting decepticons? :lol 

15. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a question myself, if Bay is so super serious about making things "realistic" where do they get their bullets?

It is kind of like in Beast Wars when they constantly "regrow" there beast parts that are their weapons.

I mean where are they getting their Cybertronian weapon shells?

And lasers would be cool, but I prefer the solid kind that are left on (like the Shadows use in Babylon 5 kind of like a laser scapel)much neater than the pulse ones.

16. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Remember that Regenerative Molecular Armor? It isn't just that TFs regenerate.

17. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Yes. Lasers are too 80s. Seriously though, lasers are overrated. I think of that shot where Optimus fires the bullet that hit Megatron... you don't get that shot with a laser, unless the lasers are lasers bullets, in which sense, why go to the extra cost and trouble of CGIing bullets more than need be? CGI lasers would eat up costs while being unnecessary, the extra particles animation and lighting they'd have to do when the lasers hit would be unnecessary.

Also, I think Bumblebee has some sort of beam cannon, so theres at least that.

18. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Lasers as weaponry doesn't make sense. It's a focused cutting tool that requires holding on the same spot to damage things. Now, some kind of directed energy such as plasma, that might be cool. However, since incendiary rounds burn as hot as plasma, the HEAT rounds that they're using now are basically the same thing...