Why no kickstarters for Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Alucard77, May 28, 2014.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
  2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

A designer could have a completed CAD design and prototype of a figure, but getting funded would be the only easy part after. They still need to find a factory, and rely on either someone else to help manufacture the figure over in China, or they themselves would have to travel and manage it. Thats alot of time and effort. Its easier to just pitch our designs to existing 3rd party companies, and get their help.

If you read the Kickstarter project's blog, the designers mention this as well.

3. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i don't think id get involved. seeing how crazy these threads get i can only imagine how ugly a thread where everyone considered themselves entitled would be.

4. Jehsee

Jehsee Well-Known Member

Because according to their Terms of Use, they don't allow anything that:

"infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity, or other right of any other person or entity, or violates any law or contract."

That would be my guess.

5. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So make an original character, like a cassette bot that becomes a dragon. something in TF style, but original.

6. Jehsee

Jehsee Well-Known Member

Yeah... something like the BMOG figures, which were Kickstarters. Or what's the Sons of Anarchy themed project that was floating around awhile ago... the transforming biker-gang themed thing? I don't see why something like Steelcore wouldn't work on Kickstarter.

7. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

Same reasons Hasbro doesn't Kickstart their products -- they don't need to.

If you've got a quality design for a transforming toy, you can shop it around to various companies. If none of them want it, then it's likely the Kickstarter would fail anyway.

Kickstarter is useful, but it has significant trade-offs and drawbacks. It's a lot of pressure having a couple of thousand people looking over your shoulder and the money those people invested is pretty much what it's going to cost you to fulfill their reward obligations. Profit doesn't come until you start selling to non-backers and by that time, you've already cannibalized most of your sales.

The traditional model is still preferred as long as you have the money to risk, because you'll make more profit and you won't have to deal with a bunch of people who feel like they own you and your project. When you don't have the money (or any other option), that's when crowd funding comes in handy.

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I don't see why they couldn't. I'd be tempted by it.