Why most people love Bumblebee?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by NemesisPrime12, Feb 5, 2018.

1. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just noticed that Bumblebee is the only main Autobots without mouth. And that makes him the most expression-less for me. Yet it's a fan favorite. So why people like Bumblebee?

2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Because he's traditionally the kid-appeal character, as in being the Autobot human partner and the underdog.

In G1 he was a scout and Spike's best friend, in TFA he was a Spider-Man styled bot who quipped a lot and used stingers (and had a history of hardship).

In the films, his kid appeal is less obvious, but he's the one Sector 7 captures in the firt film (akin to ET) and Optimus Prime describes him as a teenager in AOE.

• Like Like x 3
  3. goudan

goudan Bumblebee all the way

News Credits:
    He's a fun guy, as well as a skillful and loyal warrior.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Trip2boy

Trip2boy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    He's adorable, yellow, and kid-appeal, dammit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    He is the second Autobot, who sincerely loves the Earth and humans. His loyality is touching.

6. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Just a guy who watched too much Gundam

News Credits:
    As someone who used to adore Bayverse Bumblebee when I was a kid, I just thinked that he looks cool, colorful and kinda adorable (Which is to be expected for a "Kid-Appeal" character. I think most kids just likes him as the same way I used to adore Bayverse Bumblebee.

For some reason, I don't care about him anymore as I grow up. In recent years, Bayverse Bumblebee's "mute radio talk" thing really starts to annoy me, especially when Bumblebee in the Prime cartoon also has the same "Mute radio talk" for no reason other than another attempt to make him "adorable".

• Like Like x 1
  7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

IDK... Personal festishes involving ball gags?

He's pretty boring, if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's just because he's had the most screen time along with Optimus. They are the only transformers that get treated like characters in the movies. They get to (kind of) be people as well as robots.

Megatron gets his moments sometimes but his problem is he becomes the henchmen for the movies real bad guy after the first movie, and that's not a good fit for Megatron. If anything they should have left him dead after the third movie and brought back Starscream, he's a better lackey.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I guess we will have to wait on the box office numbers for the Bumblebee movie to say if most people love Bumblebee. I know some people that love Bumblebee but I also know people that just hate him.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dconworshipper

Dconworshipper decepticon

News Credits:
    i wouldn't say that most people love bumblebee either.

it's mostly kids that love him. to most adults and even late teenagers he lost his appeal.

now i don't hate him,he's just overused in everything tf related.

• Like Like x 2
  11. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    He's just that character,in some series it's Hot Shot and here it's Bee.It's just that memorable character made for you to like and recognise more than others..(sometimes even relate more)sometimes more than with Optimus Prime because let's be honest how many people are there that can deeply relate to him before AOE?Now there's this problem..he became too cliche..it's 2018 and a lot of things have been done to death already so everyone got bored.

12. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    In the 80's, Optimus Prime had the general appeal for the audience. As a number of latch-key kids can tell you, guys like Optimus Prime and Duke from GI Joe were to many kids surrogate father figures, or at the very least a really cool, noble warriors kids could look up to. G1 Optimus was heroic and kind, and nowhere near the boring stick in the mud Messiah figure he became post 2007. G1 Prime would occasionally do silly stuff like play basketball, etc.

However, Bumblebee has always been the kid appeal character. Since the 80's, Bumblebee assisted in viewer identification. He hung out with Spike and guided him through the world of Transformers. That being said, the original Bumblebee was designated the weakest and smallest Transformer. This was usually the norm for most 80's kids media - the child characters were usually sidekicks, or were forced to get by on wits or luck moreso than skill. When kids were the heroes, they were usually supported by a team that included a wise mentor. They'd frequently fail a lot. See stuff like the old D&D cartoon, Galaxy High, Muppet Babies, Mr. T, etc.

Sometime around the mid to early 90's, most kid's entertainment shifted agency from adults to kids. Stuff like Darkwing Duck and Tiny Toons thumbed their noses at the "adult as hero" concept, usually portraying the adults as incompetent, or at the very least showing that kids and kid appeal characters could hold their own.

So by the early 2000's, the focus of most kid's shows are kids and kid appeal characters like Bumblebee. Media has a vested interest in getting kids to invest emotionally in a show, and these days immersion comes from getting your audience to believe they're part of the action. Characters like Bumblebee are silent so that kids can give them whatever voice they want in their head. They're bright yellow to catch the attention. Both Movie and Prime Bumblebee were described as being the youngest character as well.

So in essence, he's carefully tailored to be the favorite for today's kids. Bumblee is exciting (he's yellow, dynamic, and a "fast" fighter rather than a gun-heavy tank), he's a "kid", he can sound like anything a kid might want him to sound like in their imagination.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  13. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yea but then there's fans who would watch a transformers film

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Because he ripped Ravage apart and smacked another 'Con with what was left.

• Like Like x 3
  15. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This pretty much sums up the answer.

On the other hand, you could ask people, "Why do people love Batman so much?"

• Like Like x 1
  16. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    I have no idea. That guy's a douche. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ninjanicktf

Ninjanicktf Mushroom Samba

Most of the people who really like Bee are kids, and I'm not too sure why. He (Or the movie version anyway) doesn't really strike me as someone everyone will like, aside from the gimmick with his voice.

18. Lepidoptera

Lepidoptera Antisocial butterfly lady

Simple: He looks cute.

19. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Oh yeah, that was brutal!

Really though I'm neutral towards him. he's okay.
    It's just that he and Optimus are the only good guys who get to show off most of the time, which is why I guess people like him a lot.

20. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Here’s the thing: he’s ‘popular’ because Hasbro wants him to be. I don’t think it’s out of audience reaction as much as engineering on Hadbro’s part to sell toys.

That’s why there was even a Bumblebee: so he would be paired with the lead star of the films.

• Like Like x 1