Why isn't anyone making a Prowl that combines...

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Eternalm, Nov 10, 2014.

1. TheGrognard

TheGrognard Well-Known Member

Yeah, getting a decent car out a 3rd alt mode that is basically a rectangle you can fold in half... with a non-partsforming gestalt head... eesh.

2. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the confused

Attached Files:

3. Eternalm

Eternalm Hasbro owns my Childhood

Ebay:
    He's still Prowl colors, and turns into a police vehicle.

[​IMG]

MegaHavok beat me to it.

Also, they have changed his alt mode from a sports car to some kind of larger all-terrain vehicle. Someone who knows cars better than I do could probably name the model.

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Took awhile to find it but this is prowls current alt mode

Attached Files:

5. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Huh i could have sworn the first time i saw him combine with devy the only distinguishing element of prowl was the red crest on the head. But that was when megatron came back and all hell broke loose and superion showed up. I'm that far behind

#proven wrong.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    It's taken years to get FoC figures and Trashtalk scrambled to include the My First Blaster. Give it time.

7. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    He doesn't change color.

8. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Art inconsistencies aside, Prowl gets a bulked up SUV style car and a much bulked up robot mode, and he's had them for over a year.

9. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    A: It would require reverse engineering either tfc's or mt's not-hook and equaling their ability to:
    - have the chest plate attached
    - perfectly replicate their unique shoulder connector setup (mt's being near-impossible)
    - attach perfectly to not-longhaul
    - be structurally perfect in order to bare the weight of the arms being attached

B: be one of the most complexly engineered deluxe figures ever made
    C: be a rather large car as far as deluxes go either way in order to have the mass needed, resulting in a figure that scales poorly with most deluxes and then we end up with a giant classics prowl no-one wants for anything but this

etc etc

If you ever find yourself asking these kinds of questions; why does super obscure crazy comic thing not exist for this companies (blank) then its because their is a mountain of reasons why most companies would never see the upside to making such a thing other than "wouldn't it be kinda neat".

In general third parties aren't interested in trying to sell people a product that requires another third parties product to be worthwhile, small simple upgrade stuff yes, full on figure replacement no.

3p's only make "wouldn't it be kinda neat" when its simple and affordable or they are extremely passionate about the project enough to ignore the risks. You don't make a voyager combiner prowl with all this crazy engineering and design it would need without thinking its the best idea in the world and a lot of comic fans weren't fond of it.

10. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    If either TFC or MT goes back and makes one...besides having the chest plate on, they can do all the rest, seeing as their connectors and previous figure schematics are theirs.

For B:, you only have to look at the rest of MT's/FT's deluxe combiners
    For C: It already is a large car bordering on van/truck, with a beefed up robot.

For an entirely new company to go out and make that, yes, it's not really printing money-able, but for a company who already made a Devastator to go back and re-do theirs...it sure as hell isn't as hard as you make it out to be.

11. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  12. Dashdragon

Dashdragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say about the best someone would get would be some sort of non transforming substitute gestalt piece. That would be the most reasonable engineering-wise and expense-wise for the niche request.

Hell, I'm surprised a company hasn't already made at least a replacement head in that vein though.

13. TheGrognard

TheGrognard Well-Known Member

This seams like a really solid solution to me. A lot less engineering would go into it.

14. Eternalm

Eternalm Hasbro owns my Childhood

Ebay:
    Very true. I could get down with that.

Obviously a Prowl combiner wouldn't be the perfect Prowl that everyone's going to want as the one Prowl in their collection, but I bet that there are enough people that own Hercules (like me) or Green Giant, and are enamored with the current developments in RID to make it worth someone's time. That's kind of what 3rd party is all about.

He's not going to be to scale with anything else, but if you've already bought into the idea of Prowl being the right size to replace one of the Constructions, you've already decided that scale really isn't that important to you.

As for the difficulty of the engineering. I'm frequently blown away by what the various 3rd parties are doing, if anyone can figure it out, it's them.

Talking about it on a forum like this is pretty much the only way we have to let them know that the market is there.

15. Gauntlet101010

Gauntlet101010 Well-Known Member

I think it'd be possible with Herc. You could just make a holder for Classics Prowl that had the head on it and clamps onto his vehicle mode in vaguely in the right shape. Kind of a cheap solution and not as satisfying as a true transforming component, but there it is.

But it might have one upside: this version of Devestator was supposed to be modular. If you just had a compartment that a deluxe sized TF hooks into it might fit more TFs than just Prowl, including, possibly, a version of Megaton (I'm thinking the Classics deluxe tank Megatron).

Hook as a leg? You may need an all new figure. But TFC's Mixmaster might be able to accomodate a new head and new backpack in a pinch to give you more of a "Hauler" look to Hook while still being able to work.

16. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Prowlstator is my favorite part of RID right now (aside from thundercracker and his dog) I would definitely pick one up. I dont currently own any devastoator, but I would gladly buy the set that also gave me a prowl.

Maybe the newer mini Hercules will get the upgrade?

17. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    What the hell are they doing with Prowl? This is why I hate the comics.

18. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    +1

19. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I take it by your surprise that you havent read it? If you have read it and didnt enjoy it, then ok, but if you havent read it you really might enjoy it.

RID isnt amazing by any means (not like MTMTE is) but Prowl's interactions with the remaining constructicon member is actually quite enjoyabe.

20. N_M_S

N_M_S Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^ This.

Better yet, a Herc Hook that can form either the chest or leg.
    So, yes, triple changer Prowl and quad-mode Hook.

And maybe a slightly upscaled (110-125%) Herc Longhaul…

I would buy all those.